Mid spring trip

46 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2009 - 04:56 PM

I think next weekend I could make it just for Saturday and not Sunday as well but don't let me stop you if you want to go for two days.

#22 Guest_CATfishTONY_*

Guest_CATfishTONY_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2009 - 06:16 PM

I think next weekend I could make it just for Saturday and not Sunday as well but don't let me stop you if you want to go for two days.

I would like to see some new water, matt and truf and i have been running the same creeks for years.mad river sounds good to me.
maybe we should go by rick's (atac) first it just a few minutes down the road from bob evans

#23 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 March 2009 - 11:48 AM

http://maps.google.c...e...ie=UTF8&z=9

What about here... This is a spot on the upper Mad where there is a public park. this is a good place to start and I know several interesting sites in the area that we could go to from here. I actually think I would just meet you guys there it would save me a lot of driving. This location will give us an excellent chance to see the American Brook Lampreys and several other interesting species. How much time do you think you will spend at ATAC? This will help me decide what time to be there. Also I may have to be somewhere in NE Ohio that evening so I likely will only have till 4 pm or so with a 3 hour drive from there to where I need to be later. Also how many people are coming? Tony and Matt are you both in for sure? and Truf you're still deciding if I understood correctly... Hey Nate are you looking at this? My guess is you're probably too busy walleye fishing by now on the Maumee...

#24 Guest_truf_*

Guest_truf_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 March 2009 - 01:17 PM

What about here... This is a spot on the upper Mad where there is a public park. this is a good place to start and I know several interesting sites in the area that we could go to from here. I actually think I would just meet you guys there it would save me a lot of driving. This location will give us an excellent chance to see the American Brook Lampreys and several other interesting species. How much time do you think you will spend at ATAC? This will help me decide what time to be there. Also I may have to be somewhere in NE Ohio that evening so I likely will only have till 4 pm or so with a 3 hour drive from there to where I need to be later. Also how many people are coming? Tony and Matt are you both in for sure? and Truf you're still deciding if I understood correctly... Hey Nate are you looking at this? My guess is you're probably too busy walleye fishing by now on the Maumee...

Brian,
If this is where we're going, you can probably count me in. :D/
There is some nice stuff up that way I'd like to see first hand. Most likely only Saturday though.

Tony: PM me, I don't know your phone number....

#25 Guest_CATfishTONY_*

Guest_CATfishTONY_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 March 2009 - 09:09 PM

Sounds good to me. a trip to the mad river will be new waters for me.
ATAC is just down the road from were i live we dont have to go there for sure, i was just trying to drum up a trip
and it was bait to get things started. something new to see in this area to see.i can allways go as its local.

#26 Guest_CATfishTONY_*

Guest_CATfishTONY_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 March 2009 - 09:15 PM

so west liberty is were we are to meet up?

#27 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 March 2009 - 10:51 PM

That is where I would like to meet it is a nice convenient location and easy access. If you are willing to skip the stop in Lebanon then I could meet with who ever is coming up from your area around 10 am in west liberty.

#28 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2009 - 04:11 PM

That is where I would like to meet it is a nice convenient location and easy access. If you are willing to skip the stop in Lebanon then I could meet with who ever is coming up from your area around 10 am in west liberty.

I know the park and the trib, and the lamprey. I would also like to hit Macochee. I will go. Tony, and Thom want to carpool up there?

#29 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2009 - 04:31 PM

There's a little park in Zanesfield you should check out too. That has been really good for RSD and SRBD with occasional stickleback and ammocoetes.

Macochee is nice, but there's so little good access. And the segment there by Piatt Castles is crap, for some reason. The good places we've gone, we started out tresspassin'. We talked to the guy later, and he was fine with us being there, but we only talked to him because he came down to see what we're doing. That was awhile ago and folks around there have gotten a lot more paranoid with the windmill proposal.

Wish I had some time to join you guys! I'll be in DC for the whole weekend at a conference.

Todd

#30 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2009 - 05:34 PM

There's a little park in Zanesfield you should check out too. That has been really good for RSD and SRBD with occasional stickleback and ammocoetes.

Macochee is nice, but there's so little good access. And the segment there by Piatt Castles is crap, for some reason. The good places we've gone, we started out tresspassin'. We talked to the guy later, and he was fine with us being there, but we only talked to him because he came down to see what we're doing. That was awhile ago and folks around there have gotten a lot more paranoid with the windmill proposal.

Wish I had some time to join you guys! I'll be in DC for the whole weekend at a conference.

Todd

The access does suck. The section by the castles is an overflow brown trout dump. I have seen 100 plus trout in the bridge hole. That is one hell of a bioload to be dumped into a creek that size. Fly casting for them was almost comical. Starved welfare recipients. I actually ended up with my photo in the Dayton times that day. Photographer was tickled. It was easy to get photos of me with a fish on my line.
How far north to your spot Todd? I am hoping to see some more RSD.

#31 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2009 - 08:29 PM

The access does suck. The section by the castles is an overflow brown trout dump. I have seen 100 plus trout in the bridge hole. That is one hell of a bioload to be dumped into a creek that size. Fly casting for them was almost comical. Starved welfare recipients. I actually ended up with my photo in the Dayton times that day. Photographer was tickled. It was easy to get photos of me with a fish on my line.
How far north to your spot Todd? I am hoping to see some more RSD.

We caught brown trout there, but not that many! Sheesh. Well, that explains a lot. Pisses me off, because those holes would be FILLED with toungetied minnows if the damn trout weren't there. While the rip rap isn't native habitat, it offers adults pool habitat, and the plant-less, uneutrophied flat gravel runs seem to be the crucial spawning habitat that you don't find further downstream (too much clearing, too much plants, too much heat). That might be a good species niche to work on quantifying next. Wouldn't hurt to run the tissues too. Finally get some protection for the GMR and the other streams. Or... have one heckuva "failure to reject the null hypothesis" lol :)

Zanefield is about 5 miles from West Liberty. There's a series of deep pools just upstream of the bridge. For some reason, I haven't caught trout up there either. Which is odd, because the private hatchery is right on the other side of the road. Really wish I could join you guys.

Todd

#32 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2009 - 09:15 PM

Todd that Zanefield spot sounds good but I haven't been there could you give me some more detail, maybe by pm?

Matt I too have seen that spot by the castles loaded with Browns. You just have to go there in October just after stocking... There was some habitat restoration done there this past summer and I have not been there so I would like to go to that spot to see what they did.

#33 Guest_EdBihary_*

Guest_EdBihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2009 - 12:16 PM

The forecast for Saturday in Cincinnati right now on WeatherBug: "Showers likely with a chance of thunderstorms." A chance of rain on Sunday too. Would it be better to postpone this a week or two? Or maybe monitor the forecast for a couple more days and decide? I would like to participate, but it's a long way to go to spend the day ducking from the lightning.

#34 Guest_CATfishTONY_*

Guest_CATfishTONY_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2009 - 02:50 PM

I know the park and the trib, and the lamprey. I would also like to hit Macochee. I will go. Tony, and Thom want to carpool up there?

SKIPJACK,CARPOOLING is fine with meet @ bob-evans @8:15 ok IN LEBANON.

#35 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2009 - 04:06 PM

Ed has a point. 60% chance of T storms. Rain is one thing lightning is another. Opinions?

#36 Guest_CATfishTONY_*

Guest_CATfishTONY_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2009 - 04:06 PM

SKIPJACK,CARPOOLING is fine with meet @ bob-evans @8:15 ok IN LEBANON.

on a side note here. i am in need of some plants for one of my tanks,do you think we can find some up there?
skipjack, the hornwort we collected is working out just fine i think thats what it is. but the duck weed didnt make it for reason.
what should i bring? last trip i was on net most of the time so this time i will kick the rocks for someone else

also RICK @ ATAC Will be out of town this weekend, per e-mail today from him.

#37 Guest_truf_*

Guest_truf_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2009 - 05:45 PM

The forecast for Saturday in Cincinnati right now on WeatherBug: "Showers likely with a chance of thunderstorms." A chance of rain on Sunday too. Would it be better to postpone this a week or two? Or maybe monitor the forecast for a couple more days and decide? I would like to participate, but it's a long way to go to spend the day ducking from the lightning.

Well, the weekend of April 4th is out for me...I'm going camping in the Red River Gorge.
I could go Easter weekend (April 11th), but most people probably cannot.
The following weekend (April 18th) is out for me too, as my family will be settling some things with my mother's estate that weekend.

So, I hereby command the heavens to hold their fury until at least Sunday, March 29th , otherwise I may not be able t go.

-Thom

#38 Guest_CATfishTONY_*

Guest_CATfishTONY_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2009 - 05:48 PM

Well, the weekend of April 4th is out for me...I'm going camping in the Red River Gorge.
I could go Easter weekend (April 11th), but most people probably cannot.
The following weekend (April 18th) is out for me too, as my family will be settling some things with my mother's estate that weekend.

So, I hereby command the heavens to hold their fury until at least Sunday, March 29th , otherwise I may not be able t go.

-Thom

I second this motion,I will also ask the wife to hold off on her rain dance,for a few more days.

#39 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2009 - 10:55 PM

The weather doesn't bother me, unless they are calling for constant t-storms all day long I'd say lets go for it. I may not be able to get back out for a while either, weekends for this spring are filling up fast. The mad in my experience is much less effected by heavy rains than many other Ohio streams. Much of the valley it lies in is very sandy soils, as a result most rain goes in the ground rather than running off into the stream.

#40 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 March 2009 - 06:37 AM

I am in.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users