daphnia surprise

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_PhilipKukulski_*

Guest_PhilipKukulski_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2009 - 05:04 PM

I found this in my 55 gallon tank today.

Posted Image

Forgive the picture quality; it is hard to take a picture of something so small that is moving in 55 gallons of water.

I raised some Greensided and Fantail Darter fry in this tank in my basement. In November, the tank was emptied and stood on end outside. Three weeks ago, I brought the tank inside. A week ago, I added filtered tap water, peat, mops, paramecium, and 2 green beans. The peat was new from a bale and had been soaking for 2 months in a bucket in the basement. The mops came from a tank with Epiplatys singa, and some eggs were visible. The paramecium came from my culture which has been going for 2 years. The green beans came from the kitchen and were to feed any infusoria.

I was in Arkansas collecting fish for a week, came home, and found no fry but a dozen daphnia.

This wouldn't have worked if I was trying to get daphnia.

Your thoughts?

#2 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2009 - 07:33 PM

My wildass guess is that the peat contained some resting eggs that hatched when conditions were right in that tank. The only other source that would make sense would be the egg mops, and that's by default.

#3 Guest_smilingfrog_*

Guest_smilingfrog_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 February 2009 - 03:04 AM

One other far fetched possibility. Had you ever fed daphnia to the darter fry? There could have been some resting eggs in the tank itself.

#4 Guest_PhilipKukulski_*

Guest_PhilipKukulski_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 February 2009 - 09:34 AM

One other far fetched possibility. Had you ever fed daphnia to the darter fry? There could have been some resting eggs in the tank itself.

nope

#5 Guest_keepnatives_*

Guest_keepnatives_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 February 2009 - 12:45 AM

Your thoughts?

Same wise guy neighbor that stole your Orangespot Sunfish just messing with your mind :biggrin:

#6 Guest_PhilipKukulski_*

Guest_PhilipKukulski_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 February 2009 - 08:53 AM

The peat I added was used peat; I used this peat for South American annual peat-spawning killifish.

The last time I brought in daphnia to my tanks was around 6/14/2008, the day I found the Welaka fry.

This peat was never frozen or stored cold. It may have been semi-dried when I did a batch of annual killies.

#7 Guest_scottefontay_*

Guest_scottefontay_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2009 - 11:04 AM

Its always a possibility that the resting cysts/eggs had been air/wind-borne and landed in the tank when it was outdoors. Though not likely, especially not in the winter months.

#8 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 26 February 2009 - 11:36 AM

I found this in my 55 gallon tank today.

I was in Arkansas collecting fish for a week, came home, and found no fry but a dozen daphnia.

This wouldn't have worked if I was trying to get daphnia.

Your thoughts?

Based on other recent threads, I would have to say that they evolved from smaller organism that were in the tank... or God put them in there...

Sorry Phil, just couldn't resist... I have been in the swamp with you and have enjoyed our time together... so you know I don't mean anything personal by it... I love your passion for understanding... I also have a differnet perspective... but we can exist well together here in NANFA... that's one of the beauties of our organization...
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#9 Guest_PhilipKukulski_*

Guest_PhilipKukulski_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2009 - 04:43 PM

Based on other recent threads, I would have to say that they evolved from smaller organism that were in the tank... or God put them in there...

Sorry Phil, just couldn't resist... I have been in the swamp with you and have enjoyed our time together... so you know I don't mean anything personal by it... I love your passion for understanding... I also have a differnet perspective... but we can exist well together here in NANFA... that's one of the beauties of our organization...

My first question to you Mike,
is the Earth flat or spheroid? :laugh:

#10 Guest_PhilipKukulski_*

Guest_PhilipKukulski_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2009 - 04:44 PM

Its always a possibility that the resting cysts/eggs had been air/wind-borne and landed in the tank when it was outdoors. Though not likely, especially not in the winter months.

I had that tought too.

#11 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 26 February 2009 - 08:56 PM

My first question to you Mike,
is the Earth flat or spheroid? :laugh:

...based on theory of relativity it all depends where you are standing... in Kansas it is pretty flat... here in North Georgia its pretty bumpy... and I don't think I have ever been anywhere that I have observed it being spheroid... :wink:
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#12 Guest_scott361_*

Guest_scott361_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2009 - 11:02 PM

Maybe the daphnea is just a paradox! :unsure:
It's probably not there when you're not lookin'!
Is it still there when you turn out the lights, or only with the lights on?

Scott

#13 Guest_truf_*

Guest_truf_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2009 - 12:33 AM

Maybe the daphnea is just a paradox! :unsure:
It's probably not there when you're not lookin'!
Is it still there when you turn out the lights, or only with the lights on?

Scott

Is this an example of the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle of Quantum Crustaceans, or an example of Schrodinger's Daphnia?

#14 Guest_truf_*

Guest_truf_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2009 - 12:42 AM

...based on theory of relativity it all depends where you are standing... in Kansas it is pretty flat... here in North Georgia its pretty bumpy... and I don't think I have ever been anywhere that I have observed it being spheroid... :wink:

It is flat. It is the curvature of space that makes it appear to us to be an oblate spheroid!
Likewise, a Hogchoker is actually a linear fish.

:rolleyes:

#15 Guest_PhilipKukulski_*

Guest_PhilipKukulski_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2009 - 08:08 AM

<clip> Schrodinger's Daphnia?

Study up. This IS what you will find. I have 9 semeter hours in Modern Physics.

By someone seeing this Schrodinger's Daphnia,
the probabilistic wave function collapsed into one reality,
thus creating this Universe that we live in.

#16 Guest_gzeiger_*

Guest_gzeiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2009 - 08:17 AM

Was the wave function collapsed, or shattered? Maybe each other possibility that was inherent in the wave form now exists as a concrete reality in an alternate universe.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users