Sampling trip to warren county little miami river

31 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_CATfishTONY_*

Guest_CATfishTONY_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 March 2009 - 08:08 PM

I would like to thank skipjack and truf for showing me a different approach to collect fish.
the river was up due to Thursdays rain
water was swift I actually took a tumble in a riffle
trust me the water is still very cold.
we were still able to see a wide range of fishes from this area
Longnose Gar-Lepisosteus osseus
Striped Shiner-Luxilus chrysocephalus,plus a few other shiners I'm not sure of there names
Central Mudminnow -Umbra limi
Grass Pickerel-Esox americanus vermiculatus
Stonecat-Noturus flavus
Central Stoneroller-Campostoma anomalum
Creek Chub-Semotilus atromaculatus,plus a few others chubs I'm not sure of there names
Rainbow Darter-Etheostoma caeruleum
Greenside Darter-Etheostoma blenniodes
Variegated darter -Etheostoma variatum,plus a few others darters I'm not sure of there names
Rock Bass-Ambloplites rupestris
Green Sunfish-Lepomis cyanellus
Bluegill-Lepomis macrochirus
Brook Stickleback-Culaea inconstans
Western Blacknose Dace-Rhinichthys obtusus
Northern Hog Sucker-Hypentelium nigricans,plus a few others suckers I'm not sure of there names
Northern Studfish-Fundulus catenatus
Bluntnose Minnow-Pimephales notatus,plus a few others minnows I'm not sure of there names

I'M sure there was more but thats all I can recall.
I must say this is a personal best for a one day trip for me.
I just hope next time we go I dont have to wear that blind fold every time we changes spots.LOL

#2 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 March 2009 - 08:36 PM

Rosyface shiner N rubellus
Silver shiner N. photogenus
Longear sunfish L. megalotis
River chub N. micropogon
White sucker C. commersonii
Spotfin shiner C spiloptera
Orangethroat darter E. spectabile
Fantail darter E. flabellare
Banded darter E. zonatum

Rusty crayfish O. rusticus
Two lined salamander E. bislineata

The blindfold stays on for the first three trips. LOL. It was good to get out on the water.
I am sure we will do it again soon

#3 Guest_CATfishTONY_*

Guest_CATfishTONY_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 March 2009 - 08:49 PM

Rosyface shiner N rubellus
Silver shiner N. photogenus
Longear sunfish L. megalotis
River chub N. micropogon
White sucker C. commersonii
Spotfin shiner C spiloptera
Orangethroat darter E. spectabile
Fantail darter E. flabellare
Banded darter E. zonatum

Rusty crayfish O. rusticus
Two lined salamander E. bislineata

The blindfold stays on for the first three trips. LOL. It was good to get out on the water.
I am sure we will do it again soon

Sounds good to me,
just call and i will be there.

#4 Guest_truf_*

Guest_truf_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 March 2009 - 08:59 PM

When I got home I discovered the small rip in my waders that had soaked my right foot in ice water all day had become a huge gash. Definitely time for new ones now. Funny...my right foot still feels cold.
It was great to get out on the water for the first trip of the new year; a fresh start.
We hit several of my favorite haunts, but I had never sampled Todd's Fork before, and it was a real treat. We got some really huge and colored up beautiful Greeside Darters. Stunning. I wasn't used to seeing them that large or that colorful.
-Thom

#5 Guest_UncleWillie_*

Guest_UncleWillie_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 March 2009 - 09:02 PM

That's quite a list. Sounds like yall had a good time. I couldn't help but laugh about Tony being blindfolded :biggrin: . You gotta do what you gotta do. It's good to hear that some folks are getting out and about. I enjoy hearing how everyone's trips are going this time of year. Cheers

#6 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 March 2009 - 09:13 PM

Early trip for Ohio! Great species list.

#7 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 March 2009 - 11:42 PM

What type of habitat where the Longnosed gar hanging out in?
What was the size on them?

#8 Guest_CATfishTONY_*

Guest_CATfishTONY_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 March 2009 - 07:45 AM

What type of habitat where the Longnosed gar hanging out in?
What was the size on them?

Its sad to say but it may have been dying 3/4 of its face was gone.
@ first i thought it was a shortnosed gar.
it was under 3/8"of ice in a small feeder creek about 3oo yards up from main river.
gravel/sand bottom with 3" silt and allot of settled leave cover.
this fish all so had a odd color pattern,it was about16"-18".
just the one gar by it self

#9 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 March 2009 - 08:08 AM

What were abundances like on the Etheostoma darters? What is the stream size there? I was planning on using the Middletown Road riffle as my replicate on the Little M, but I've never had variegates there, and it'd be nice to see what partition they take in the absence of bluebreast. Of course, it'd be nice to get bluebreast there too. We'd have a solid case then for complete delisting ;)

I think the Little M will be a good river to run for longitudinal zonation as well, esp having that NATURAL barrier at Clifton Gorge. I hadn't even really thought about that aspect.

Thanks,
Todd

#10 Guest_CATfishTONY_*

Guest_CATfishTONY_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 March 2009 - 04:35 PM

What were abundances like on the Etheostoma darters? What is the stream size there? I was planning on using the Middletown Road riffle as my replicate on the Little M, but I've never had variegates there, and it'd be nice to see what partition they take in the absence of bluebreast. Of course, it'd be nice to get bluebreast there too. We'd have a solid case then for complete delisting ;)

I think the Little M will be a good river to run for longitudinal zonation as well, esp having that NATURAL barrier at Clifton Gorge. I hadn't even really thought about that aspect.

Thanks,
Todd

hi Farmertodd,I'm afraid I have no idea what you info you just asked for.as I am new to keeping fish long term.
6 months ago to me there was two kinds of fish those you eat and those you catch for bait to get something to eat.
send skipjack a pm I'm sure he could help with this matter.

#11 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 March 2009 - 04:46 PM

I think he was asking Brian or Matt about the darter abundance in the area.

#12 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 March 2009 - 05:12 PM

Those are the only two kinds that matter when it comes down to it :) Please don't let my $5 words confuse or aggrivate you. You'll get it all in time (might look them up on Wikipedia in the meantime if they look interesting). Skipjack or Truf will have an answer.

I'll be down in Cinnci this weekend it looks like, with probably a long day scouting Saturday on the mid section of the Licking River. Dunno if any of you Cinnci or Lexie boys wanna go scout about?

Todd

#13 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 March 2009 - 05:13 PM

Todd, are you referring to the Todds Fork riffle?

#14 Guest_CATfishTONY_*

Guest_CATfishTONY_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 March 2009 - 05:15 PM

if you dont mind i would like to see the Licking River.
if i have time this weekend.
i will not get aggrivated, every new venture in life has a learning curve with the new jargon.

Edited by CATfishTONY, 02 March 2009 - 05:27 PM.

#15 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 March 2009 - 05:21 PM

That's up on the Todd's Fork? That would be appropriate :) Maybe I can get two different reps on the same river that way. I was worried about the East Fork having the influence of the dam and then the whole issue of access. My buddy Ryan loves the Todd's Fork to death, but he's said it's really tanked with the development.

Anyway, is that where you walked Tony in blindfolded? That sounds like the right kind of riffle at about the right size of stream segment.

Todd

#16 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 March 2009 - 05:33 PM

That's up on the Todd's Fork? That would be appropriate :) Maybe I can get two different reps on the same river that way. I was worried about the East Fork having the influence of the dam and then the whole issue of access. My buddy Ryan loves the Todd's Fork to death, but he's said it's really tanked with the development.

Anyway, is that where you walked Tony in blindfolded? That sounds like the right kind of riffle at about the right size of stream segment.

Todd

It is comparable in size to the east fork, maybe a bit smaller. The variegates there are doing very well. We probably saw ten in the single riffle. This riffle has also produced mountain madtom. Surprisingly, we only saw one banded darter. Fantails were somewhat common. Greensides were common. And big rainbows were very common, think paint creek sized. I know Ryan has been dissapointed with the decline in the Todds fork fishery, but as far as non game fish, I feel that I have seen consistant improvement in the past 4 years.

#17 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2009 - 10:30 AM

Oh okay wow, pretty small segment. That mountain madtom population is just weird. I've found them in small streams like that in the Ozarks, but they were fairly close to much larger river segments (jumping 2 orders or greater at the trib's mouth), so I guess I think of them as a pretty big river fish. It seems to me that something so flexible wouldn't be having such a hard time getting the right kind of habitat. I wonder what their annual migration looks like.

I'm concerned that's a trophic cascade in the Todd's Fork, which is not necessarily an improvement.

I'm thinking I'll be getting an early departure on Sat for the Licking, and poke around the Little M on Sun. I'll start another thread, I've derailed this thread enough. :)

Todd

#18 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2009 - 09:22 PM

Hey Todd I would like to know where you will be at in the licking on sat maybe I'll join you...

#19 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2009 - 10:16 PM

As much as I'd really like to have you with me, I'm going to the Licking in Kentucky :) I think you mean over Newark way. We'll get in there the Ohio Licking this year. I'd like to get some photos of the Northern Disjunct plants in the Blackhand Gorge, and check out some of the riffles above the dam too to see if there's any camurum up there too. I'm starting to put together the sampling schedule. Once I hear back from some folks on my more remote ends of sampling, you'll be the first to know when I plan to invade the Columbus area.

Now if you did mean the KY Licking, I'll give you a call and we can figure out where to meet!

Todd

#20 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2009 - 10:32 PM

You are correct I was assuming you meant the Ohio one... I would very much like to hear what you find in the KY one too though. I think knowing what is just across the border from some of the direct tribs to the Ohio R. is very important to understanding what may show up here in Ohio. Do you have plans to sample the big or little sandy or Kinikonik creek? If you plan on doing Kinikonik I do want to come along.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users