Concerns about marbled crayfish

11 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2009 - 09:32 PM

I have vaguely considered raising crayfish in tubs. I have no intent to purchase an aquaculture permit just so I can sell these guys, but I might eat a few and trade them with other fishkeepers for various things. The parthenogenetic marbled crayfish seems to be the simplest choice. However, I wonder what you all think of propagating this animal.

I would of course be sure to keep my stock out of any water bodies. But I cannot control what happens to the critters once they leave my hands. Should I forget about them and deal with some more typical cray?

#2 Guest_Drew_*

Guest_Drew_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 March 2009 - 06:43 PM

Isn't this the case with just about any species be they parthenogenetic or not? Don't do something that would cause you to be up at night worrying about if someone would release them.

#3 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 March 2009 - 06:53 PM

I think Drew nails it. Would you give ANY animal to someone that you thought would release it?

I do understand your concerns about the fecundity due to the parthenogenesis. It's been amazing watch them explode through our local club from Susan's orginal "pair" lol. It's a species that would be more prone to someone releasing in an act of desparation. Perhaps you can make an agreement that a hammer is a better final solution than release?

I'm totally stoked about the idea of a marmokrebs bake tho! lol

Todd

#4 Guest_schambers_*

Guest_schambers_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 March 2009 - 07:19 PM

Marmorkrebs are little cloning machines, and unlike fish, they have legs. I don't know how far they can travel, but they have been known to wander around my house at night. (Don't tell my in-laws. They visit overnight sometimes.) I've found them in tanks where I didn't put them.

#5 Guest_brian1973_*

Guest_brian1973_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 March 2009 - 08:31 PM

Marmorkrebs are little cloning machines, and unlike fish, they have legs. I don't know how far they can travel, but they have been known to wander around my house at night. (Don't tell my in-laws. They visit overnight sometimes.) I've found them in tanks where I didn't put them.

That is amazing, not the cloning but the fact they wander around and find other tanks..

#6 Guest_CATfishTONY_*

Guest_CATfishTONY_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 March 2009 - 08:35 PM

I have vaguely considered raising crayfish in tubs. I have no intent to purchase an aquaculture permit just so I can sell these guys, but I might eat a few and trade them with other fishkeepers for various things. The parthenogenetic marbled crayfish seems to be the simplest choice. However, I wonder what you all think of propagating this animal.

I would of course be sure to keep my stock out of any water bodies. But I cannot control what happens to the critters once they leave my hands. Should I forget about them and deal with some more typical cray?

does this type breed fast so it could be used as a feeder source for sunfish and shiners?

#7 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 March 2009 - 08:49 PM

does this type breed fast so it could be used as a feeder source for sunfish and shiners?

I don't know if they breed faster, but they're all female, so you don't have to worry about territoriality or hormone-crazed males killing the other mudbugs- just put one in a tank and let her go. The trouble is that you can't keep them from breeding. More info here: http://marmorkrebs.org/

I guess I will stay away from them. They just worry me too much.

#8 Guest_CATfishTONY_*

Guest_CATfishTONY_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 March 2009 - 08:56 PM

I don't know if they breed faster, but they're all female, so you don't have to worry about territoriality or hormone-crazed males killing the other mudbugs- just put one in a tank and let her go. The trouble is that you can't keep them from breeding. More info here: http://marmorkrebs.org/

I guess I will stay away from them. They just worry me too much.

i just did some reading on them man i hope people cant get them around here from lps.

#9 Guest_brian1973_*

Guest_brian1973_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 March 2009 - 09:20 PM

i just did some reading on them man i hope people cant get them around here from lps.

I do alot of surfing on craigslist and I think the main distributor is getting the word out through there, because they pop up all the time in big city listings.

#10 Guest_Clayton_*

Guest_Clayton_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 March 2009 - 09:55 PM

There is a guy near me that sells them and even advertises them as a potential source of self replenishing fishing bait. :angry:

He has an aquabid ad up right now, but it looks like he has removed the bait part. Might have gotten some nasty feedback on that.

I've also had a couple species of crays decide to hop tanks. I've also found some dried up shells behind furniture months later. They are certainly capable climbers and manage to slip through some surprisingly small holes.

#11 Guest_schambers_*

Guest_schambers_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 March 2009 - 06:46 PM

That is amazing, not the cloning but the fact they wander around and find other tanks..

I think it's common for crayfish to get out of aquariums. I've had other species get loose. The marmorkrebs are small enough that it's easier for them to find a way out of their tank. It's nice they are resourceful enough to get into another tank. I haven't found any dead ones on the floor yet. Of course, I do have a dog.

I got mine from an aquarium club's auction. I've never seen them in stores.

Edited by schambers, 05 March 2009 - 06:47 PM.

#12 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 March 2009 - 07:06 PM

I've had red swamp crays do the same thing- climb from one tank to another. One made the mistake of getting into a snapper tank.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users