Some pics from my 180g stream tank

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_andyavram_*

Guest_andyavram_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 April 2009 - 01:49 PM

Nice set-up. I recently set up a 75 gallon but realized I went to small. I long for a 180 sine i like the 2' width.

Anyways, what sort of lighting do you have in there? Do you get nasty algae? One of my ideas to keep the algae down (which I didn't do) was put intense lighting only on the plant side of the tank. My 75 is set up with plants on one end and they haven't done well until I recently got better lights but the algae went out of control.

#22 Guest_Drew_*

Guest_Drew_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 April 2009 - 04:08 PM

Right now I'm using this : http://www.hydrofarm....php?itemid=125 on the right 4' of the tank. One bulb is 90W and the other 125W as they no longer sell the 90W.

I let the algae grow on the back and side glass but clean the front every 3 weeks or so when I do water changes. The val consumes a lot of the nutrients so it doesn't get out of control.

#23 Guest_mikez_*

Guest_mikez_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 April 2009 - 05:00 PM

Looks like you trim the val to keep it from stretching out across the surface. Do you think it helps send out more runners when you trim the tops?

#24 Guest_Drew_*

Guest_Drew_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 April 2009 - 05:20 PM

When I let the val grow across the surface, it just blocks the light and grows algae. That is the main reason why I trim it. The shorter ones don't seem to get that much algae on them. But I have noticed an increase in runners doing so. I end up pulling up a handful of sprouts when I do maintenance to keep it from growing in sections I don't want it to. I also started with only one light on the right side so the val only grew over there. I recently put in the second lamp when I took those pics. Those sprouts on the left are now stretching across the surface and need to be trimmed as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users