Fish From around Hudson Florida

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_nativecajun_*

Guest_nativecajun_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2009 - 03:32 PM

Just thought I would share and also see if anyone else has come accross these type of fish. One I think is the black and white spotted mollie that they have down there. Another is the sailfin mollie bu the color of these are awesome. After googling florida mollies I read that the regular sailfin mollie would interbreed with the normal mollie down there. Is this what I possibly saw. The spotted mollie and a regular sailfin cross in the attached photos. And in one I think I see a blue fin killie.

Well enjoy and any info on the fish and/or ID verification would be nice. Especially on the possible blue fin killie. Or any of them actually. All input will be gratefully recieved. I was sure excited to see these fish.

Daniel

Attached Files

#2 Guest_Fish4Fun_*

Guest_Fish4Fun_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 March 2009 - 03:39 PM

Just thought I would share and also see if anyone else has come accross these type of fish. One I think is the black and white spotted mollie that they have down there. Another is the sailfin mollie bu the color of these are awesome. After googling florida mollies I read that the regular sailfin mollie would interbreed with the normal mollie down there. Is this what I possibly saw. The spotted mollie and a regular sailfin cross in the attached photos. And in one I think I see a blue fin killie.

Well enjoy and any info on the fish and/or ID verification would be nice. Especially on the possible blue fin killie. Or any of them actually. All input will be gratefully recieved. I was sure excited to see these fish.

Daniel

Sorry dont recognize the fish but im sure someone will :) However youre making me very jealous with those great pics. The fish still arent active in Indiana yet.

#3 Guest_nativecajun_*

Guest_nativecajun_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 March 2009 - 04:00 PM

Thanks for the compliments on the photos. Nothing special. Had a 70 to three hundred zoom mounted so I did not have to spook the fish. Then I did some cropping on top of that. Color corrections and a little contrast added to knock the glare off of the water surface and volia'.

The fish, at least the large ones are sailfin mollies but I was just wondering if anyone else had ever seen anything like them ( that color ). I was sure excited to see them. I was just visiting a cousin near Hudson and I actually took these photos at Weechi Waachi park. I do not think they were seeded there. From what I've read the regular sailfin molly will interbreed with that spotted mollie you see in one of the photos. As for the blue fin killie he is the one I am unsure of.

Was just tossing up the subject for some feedback that is all. I was just wondering if anyone else has been wowed like I was when I saw them.

Daniel

#4 Guest_gzeiger_*

Guest_gzeiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 March 2009 - 07:14 PM

I've seen the exact color combination of the prominent black/white/yellow guy in the first picture on Gambusia affinis in coastal SC.

#5 Guest_nativecajun_*

Guest_nativecajun_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 March 2009 - 09:57 PM

I've seen the exact color combination of the prominent black/white/yellow guy in the first picture on Gambusia affinis in coastal SC.

That would be interesting to see a gambusia in this color combination. Whats up with that. The mollies, gambusia and sailfin mollies all like each other around there. I bet you were just as stunned the first time you saw those as when I saw these last week. Wished I lived down there I would surly keep some in captivity. I suppose they are not protected there. I am preparing a planted tank getting ready for the early summer. Have not quite decided what I am going to put in it yet. Small 15 gallon long tank. Will probably pick a species with equal smallness. Maybe some bandeds and smaller dither fish of some sort.

To go off topic I saw this strange squirell down there. White nose black head and yellowish underneath and redish I suppose on top. I googled florida fox squirells and I came up with that one and many others with different pigmentations in the fur. Things are colorful in the south I suppose. I will put a photo of him here. Not a fish I know but I hope I am forgiven.

Attached Files

#6 Guest_PhilipKukulski_*

Guest_PhilipKukulski_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2009 - 09:25 AM

Poecilia latipinna (Lesueur 1821); Sailfin Molly

and one

Lucania goodei Jordan 1880; Bluefin Killifish

#7 Guest_nativecajun_*

Guest_nativecajun_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2009 - 09:35 AM

Poecilia latipinna (Lesueur 1821); Sailfin Molly

and one

Lucania goodei Jordan 1880; Bluefin Killifish

Thanks PhilipKukulski

How about the one that is white and black spotted. One of the fish in the "i think" upper right hand corner??? in one of the photos. I think it is a normal Mollly, well not normal, but the black and white sotted kind that are found in Florida and a few other places. It is slim and longish looking. I am really interested in knowing what that one is. Thanks very much for the names of the others.

Daniel

#8 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 March 2009 - 11:48 AM

I would say that spotted black and white fish is a male mosquitofish. I have caught males like this in Florida before. I also saw a squirrel like that on the same trip, it was really weird looking to me too.

#9 Guest_PhilipKukulski_*

Guest_PhilipKukulski_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 March 2009 - 12:07 PM

I would say molly; the caudal peduncle is too big for a dambusia.

#10 Guest_mzokan_*

Guest_mzokan_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2009 - 05:43 PM

Definitely Sailfin molly (Poecilia latipinna). I've caught many spotted individuals in southern Florida and they seemed to be most common in marshes near the coast. Both Gambusia and golden topminnow (Fundulus chrysotus) can also have this spotted pattern.

Marcus

#11 Guest_critterguy_*

Guest_critterguy_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2009 - 07:10 PM

Does anyone have an opinion whether these melanistic mollies are truly wild or if they have some fishfarm blood in them?

Edited by critterguy, 12 March 2009 - 07:10 PM.

#12 Guest_nativecajun_*

Guest_nativecajun_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2009 - 08:14 PM

Definitely Sailfin molly (Poecilia latipinna). I've caught many spotted individuals in southern Florida and they seemed to be most common in marshes near the coast. Both Gambusia and golden topminnow (Fundulus chrysotus) can also have this spotted pattern.

Marcus

Not sure you are talking about the same fish as the others. There is no doubt about the sailfin mollies in the photos. The fish in question is the black and white slim speckeled one in the top right corner in one of the photos. Some think mosquito fish (gambusia) and some think regular molly (non sail fin type) I kind of think it is a molly and not a gambusia but the photo is really not at the right angle to determine. I have looked at some of my other shots that I have not posted and blew them up to examine and I am still not sure. So it goes with trying to ID a fish without enough of the fish to ID.

Daniel

#13 Guest_mzokan_*

Guest_mzokan_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2009 - 08:21 PM

Not sure you are talking about the same fish as the others. There is no doubt about the sailfin mollies in the photos. The fish in question is the black and white slim speckeled one in the top right corner in one of the photos. Some think mosquito fish (gambusia) and some think regular molly (non sail fin type) I kind of think it is a molly and not a gambusia but the photo is really not at the right angle to determine. I have looked at some of my other shots that I have not posted and blew them up to examine and I am still not sure. So it goes with trying to ID a fish without enough of the fish to ID.

Daniel

Ahh.....sorry about that. I see the one you mean -- I'll vote Gambusia

#14 Guest_nativecajun_*

Guest_nativecajun_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2009 - 08:22 PM

Does anyone have an opinion whether these melanistic mollies are truly wild or if they have some fishfarm blood in them?

I personally believe they are wild strains. I have read articles that have stated that the sailfin mollies readily interbreed with the melanistic or (black and white spotted regular wild molly) in nature. Thus you get the unique color of the sailfin with its gold, black and white color pattern. Beautiful. But hey it's Florida and anything is possible down there right !!! All I know is that they wowed me when I saw them and that is all that matters to me. So my opinion would be, I suppose anything can happen, but I personally choose to believe they commonly occur in nature this way.

Daniel

#15 Guest_Doug_Dame_*

Guest_Doug_Dame_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2009 - 12:59 AM

I vote sailfin molly, not dambusia.

Never seen a dambusia with distinct yellow, but it's common in brackish water native mollies of Florida.

Never seen a dambusia with distinct flash of electric sky blue in the tail, but it's common in male native mollies.

Never seen a male dambusia that was as long or longer than a heavy-bodied (adult) female native molly, but that is common in well-grown male native mollies.

But then again there's a lot of things I've never seen.

d.d.

#16 Guest_nativecajun_*

Guest_nativecajun_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2009 - 07:02 AM

I vote sailfin molly, not dambusia.

Never seen a dambusia with distinct yellow, but it's common in brackish water native mollies of Florida.

Never seen a dambusia with distinct flash of electric sky blue in the tail, but it's common in male native mollies.

Never seen a male dambusia that was as long or longer than a heavy-bodied (adult) female native molly, but that is common in well-grown male native mollies.

But then again there's a lot of things I've never seen.

d.d.

Just to try to clear things up. Again I think you are speaking of the wrong fish in question. There is no doubt on the sailfin mollies. I will attach the fish in question so that maybe everyone will know from now on what fish we are talking about. Again the sailfins everyone has no question about it is the black and white speckeled fish which I will post a couple of photos that I cropped right here. The photos will seem very pixelated because I cropped into them a lot. But I think you can get a better handle on things here with these photos of fish in question. I am beggining to think gambusia but like i said before I do not think there is enough angle on the side of the fish to really tell. But by the size one would think mosquito fish but IDUNO

Thanks,
Daniel

Attached Files

• Attached File  One.jpg   63.99KB   2 downloads
  • Attached File  Two.jpg   130.57KB   1 downloads

Edited by nativecajun, 14 March 2009 - 07:06 AM.

#17 Guest_Doug_Dame_*

Guest_Doug_Dame_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2009 - 12:19 PM

Just to try to clear things up. Again I think you are speaking of the wrong fish in question. There is no doubt on the sailfin mollies. I will attach the fish in question so that maybe everyone will know from now on what fish we are talking about. Again the sailfins everyone has no question about it is the black and white speckeled fish which I will post a couple of photos that I cropped right here. The photos will seem very pixelated because I cropped into them a lot. But I think you can get a better handle on things here with these photos of fish in question. I am beggining to think gambusia but like i said before I do not think there is enough angle on the side of the fish to really tell. But by the size one would think mosquito fish but IDUNO

Thanks,
Daniel

Ok, THAT fish ... looks like dambusia to me too.

d.d.

#18 Guest_Mysteryman_*

Guest_Mysteryman_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2009 - 09:00 AM

Same here; if it's a molly, then there's something wrong with it.

Those are some nice fish, though.

#19 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2009 - 10:32 PM

Yes that's the one I was referring too and that is definitely a male melanistic mosquitofish.

#20 Guest_nativecajun_*

Guest_nativecajun_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2009 - 05:32 PM

So in this mosquito fish, what would the female more than likely look like? I suppose since the female sailfins look like regular female sailfins I can only assume that the gambusia females would look the same in the melanistic form.. Am I right or wrong? There are other smaller fish in there I suppose I should check my photos out some more. I have lots of them.

Again to be clear, would the female look like a regular blah blah female gambusia when her husband is melanistic?

Thanks all,
Daniel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users