swarms of madtoms

17 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_basssmaster_*

Guest_basssmaster_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2009 - 06:00 PM

Yesterday I was out messing around in a small spring fed creek in central missouri, as I was getting ready to go I fliped over a large flat rock about 3ft around in a calm pool below some riffles and to my suprise was a swarm of some 30+ slender madtoms just hanging out together I did not have a net but was able to grab around a dozen with my hands. Most of the madtoms were around 2in but one that I kept is pushing 5in.

Has anyone ever witnessed something similar, this behavior is very new to me and im courious what they where up to?

Edited by basssmaster, 09 March 2009 - 06:01 PM.

#2 Guest_BTDarters_*

Guest_BTDarters_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2009 - 09:30 PM

I haven't seen anything like that before, but I see no reason why it wouldn't be possible. I do have to ask you, though, how your hands are? Hand-catching madtoms is not for the faint of heart!

Brian

#3 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 March 2009 - 04:21 PM

Luckily I did not get stung once, they were pretty lethargic. I had no problem cupping them in my hands. To this date I have never been stung by a madtom, though im courious to see what it is like.

#4 Guest_basssmaster_*

Guest_basssmaster_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 March 2009 - 04:25 PM

Sorry the last post from centrarchid was from basssmaster. Didn't realize

#5 Guest_rjmtx_*

Guest_rjmtx_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 March 2009 - 09:39 PM

Madtom stings are an experience. One I don't like to have to often. Last January, we shocked up over 15 huge tadpole madtoms in a small riffle in the headwaters of a small creek in the Lower Brazos drainage. They were in prime drift-feeding mode. That's the only time I've caught them in numbers like that. Every once in a while, we'll find clumps of them in rootwads, but nothing like that one riffle I saw.

I don't know how cold is where you are,, but maybe they were just hanging together waiting for things to warm up. Safety in numbers and cover. Most critters aren't determined or crazy enough to shove their paws into a pile of madtoms.

#6 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2009 - 12:50 PM

Sorry the last post from centrarchid was from basssmaster. Didn't realize

The real "centrarchid" has been stung by a brindled madtom. Intially like a sharp prick which then began to throb affecting areas inches away form wound.

#7 Guest_CATfishTONY_*

Guest_CATfishTONY_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2009 - 06:19 PM

The real "centrarchid" has been stung by a brindled madtom. Intially like a sharp prick which then began to throb affecting areas inches away form wound.

catfish have a natural antiseptic on there belly if you get pricked rub the fishes belly on the wound right away to help

#8 Guest_bullhead_*

Guest_bullhead_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2009 - 07:08 PM

catfish have a natural antiseptic on there belly if you get pricked rub the fishes belly on the wound right away to help

I have read that before (like in Outdoor Life or such). Has anyone ever tried this? I am really curious as to whether it really works.

#9 Guest_gzeiger_*

Guest_gzeiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2009 - 07:13 PM

I don't see why an antiseptic would help counteract the venom. I've never heard of someone being very worried about a secondary infection starting in their madtom stings :mellow:

#10 Guest_bullhead_*

Guest_bullhead_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2009 - 07:16 PM

"Antiseptic" is not the right word. Rubbing the sting on the fishes belly is supposed to lessen the pain. (And I would always be concerned about infection from a puncture wound, or any sort of wound for that matter.)

#11 Guest_smilingfrog_*

Guest_smilingfrog_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2009 - 12:07 AM

I have read that before (like in Outdoor Life or such). Has anyone ever tried this? I am really curious as to whether it really works.

I've heard this too, but was told to rub the fish's mucous into the wound, nothing specified the belly. I haven't had an occassion to try it yet though. I suppose I could have purposely stuck myself but am not that curious. :smile2:

#12 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2009 - 12:51 AM

This actually works. I recommend that everyone sting themselves with a madtom, and then try the antidote. Just so you know it works :twisted:

#13 Guest_bullhead_*

Guest_bullhead_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2009 - 09:13 AM

Welcome back, Irate!

#14 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2009 - 03:33 PM

CatfishTony pulled me back in. Just when I thought I was out!

#15 Guest_CATfishTONY_*

Guest_CATfishTONY_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2009 - 03:38 PM

CatfishTony pulled me back in. Just when I thought I was out!

and just how did i do this?
before this thread gets to far off topic

#16 Guest_gzeiger_*

Guest_gzeiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2009 - 06:12 PM

Don't bother trying to stay on topic. He already posted.

#17 Guest_rjmtx_*

Guest_rjmtx_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2009 - 10:01 PM

I've tried the "antdiote" with four types of catfish. All bad stings still hurt like hell with or without the slime treatment. Madtoms like fiery hell. I can also tell you that ight after a little madtom gets you, you don't really want to holde the little bastard much longer and try to rub him all over your hand. He either goes back int he bucket or river really quick. Research is being done on the antibiotic properties of fish slime, which makes sense to anyone that's dealt with captive fish for a long time. I do know, however, that hot water does help a lionfish sting. That and a good dose of Bendryl.

#18 Guest_keepnatives_*

Guest_keepnatives_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2009 - 11:24 PM

I can also tell you that ight after a little madtom gets you, you don't really want to holde the little bastard much longer and try to rub him all over your hand.

That's the first thought I had to that suggestion. All I could picture was a hand full of spine pricks but I guess then you could just ball up the madtom in your hands and rub it all over.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users