Southern Brook Lamprey

8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2009 - 05:43 PM

I have a single specimen of I gagei which I collected last year with BullheadsRDfish. After having been in hiding all this time, it has now emerged and appears to have metamorphosed into an adult. So, now what? This is a nonparasitic species. Do the adults feed at all? Is it going to waste away and die??

#2 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2009 - 05:54 PM

It will die...

However place a few really algae covered rocks in the tank. Some anecdotal records exist where they, for a short time at least, will graze on this.... or presumably do.. It is not really all that clear. Try it and let me know what you observe.

#3 Guest_CATfishTONY_*

Guest_CATfishTONY_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2009 - 06:36 PM

I have a single specimen of I gagei which I collected last year with BullheadsRDfish. After having been in hiding all this time, it has now emerged and appears to have metamorphosed into an adult. So, now what? This is a nonparasitic species. Do the adults feed at all? Is it going to waste away and die??

Sorry to say this and its a old sick joke of yours but it will soon die.
adults do not eat.
this person may be able to help. i think she did a study of a book about this.

Margaret F. Docker
Email: dockerm@cc.umanitoba.ca

Edited by CATfishTONY, 18 March 2009 - 07:03 PM.

#4 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2009 - 09:36 PM

I'm getting my CRWTH tuned as we speak...

#5 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2009 - 10:35 PM

this person may be able to help. i think she did a study of a book about this.
Margaret F. Docker

What are you referring to here??? I'm not aware of any papers by her specifically regarding Ichthyomyzon gagei.. She summarizes Bill Beamish's work on the Southern Brook in one open paper, otherwise She works more with Great lakes and Pacific species in her formal works.

Wondering if I'm missing a paper somewhere...

#6 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 19 March 2009 - 11:21 PM

I'm getting my CRWTH tuned as we speak...

Having heard your g-tar... I would like to hear you play the crwth...
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#7 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2009 - 11:46 PM

Having heard your g-tar... I would like to hear you play the crwth...

Heh heh - I keep my g-tar's in several different tunings! One is especially for dead fish. I play it quite often. By a strange coincidence it is a Martin :-)

#8 Guest_CATfishTONY_*

Guest_CATfishTONY_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2009 - 06:01 AM

What are you referring to here??? I'm not aware of any papers by her specifically regarding Ichthyomyzon gagei.. She summarizes Bill Beamish's work on the Southern Brook in one open paper, otherwise She works more with Great lakes and Pacific species in her formal works.

Wondering if I'm missing a paper somewhere...

yes thats it. i new i read it some were.i will read it again when i get home from work.

#9 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2009 - 10:34 PM

Well, the lamprey has expired. When I fished her out of the tank several oocytes were expressed from her vent (note to self - avoid use of passive voice). All revved up and no place to go :-( She was only about 6" long.

Irate's Tank O' Death lives up to it's name!

Edited by Irate Mormon, 20 March 2009 - 10:35 PM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users