Savannah, GA area:where to collect?

20 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_wolfeyes_*

Guest_wolfeyes_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 March 2009 - 08:31 PM

Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum but not to fishkeeping. I've been keeping for a while now and have bred some tropical fish before. Well my friend went out to a creek on her vacation and spotted some darters. She showed me a picture and I was amazed at them. I never though that native fish could be so colorful! Well now I would like to try my hand at catching some native fish. I've been reseaching what fish I can catch and what fish are off limits. I've also been researching their captive care and will have the ability to make a proper tank for them.

The only problem is now I need to find a place to try and catch the fish. I would like to stay within an hour or two away from Savannah in any direction. I'm looking mainly for any of the non-threatened darters (turquoise, savannah, and black banded are my favorite local area ones) and a shinner species (sailfin, dusky, as long as isn't endangered). Anyone know of some really good places? Thanks for all the help in advance.

#2 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 23 March 2009 - 09:49 PM

I'm looking mainly for any of the non-threatened darters (turquoise, savannah, and black banded are my favorite local area ones) and a shinner species (sailfin, dusky, as long as isn't endangered). Anyone know of some really good places? Thanks for all the help in advance.

Well I know places to get tourquoise and blackbanded darters... and places to get sailfins (well really lowland shiners - P.stonei)... and they are places in Georgia... but I don't think it is within a couple hours of Savannah...

I am sure there are a lot of places within a couple hours of you... I just live too far north to know any of them...

We will have to get together somewhere between here and there sometime this spring... maybe some of the other Georgia boys will want to take a road trip down that way...???

Welcome to the forum... and take a look the NANFA homepage and consider joining.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#3 Guest_gzeiger_*

Guest_gzeiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2009 - 12:37 PM

I'd be happy to come down from Charleston to help out. Maybe either the 17th or 20th of April (a Monday or Friday)? I'm not familiar with your area, but you can't go too far wrong if you find a random creek to go slogging through, so I'm sure we can find something.

#4 Guest_khudgins_*

Guest_khudgins_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2009 - 11:37 AM

I've been thinking about a coastal road trip a little later in the spring. I'm completely game.

#5 Guest_wolfeyes_*

Guest_wolfeyes_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 March 2009 - 12:00 AM

Hey sorry i haven't been on lately. April sounds like it might be a fun time to go out. That would give the little guys some time to adjust before I go back home to Vegas. I realyl have to say I'm pleasantly surprised that people volunteered to come out to help me. Thanks a ton!

#6 Guest_khudgins_*

Guest_khudgins_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2009 - 11:10 AM

I'm busy the 17th weekend, so I won't be able to make it if you choose that date. I'm pretty much free the rest of the month.

#7 Guest_gzeiger_*

Guest_gzeiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2009 - 06:41 PM

Fishing is always more fun with more people.

#8 Guest_Stumpknocker_*

Guest_Stumpknocker_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2009 - 01:09 PM

Lemme know if you guys are going, and what date you have in mind..I'm a couple hours from savannah and have no one to go collecting with...I would definately be down.

#9 Guest_jimjim_*

Guest_jimjim_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2009 - 03:51 PM

With all the rain we might not be able to do any collecting this month. All the creeks and ponds around here are flooded and its a mess...Jim

#10 Guest_Stumpknocker_*

Guest_Stumpknocker_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2009 - 04:36 PM

Man tell me about it.....Everything was under water here in Thomasville...sheesh...What a way to rain on a collecting parade!

#11 Guest_wolfeyes_*

Guest_wolfeyes_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 April 2009 - 02:08 AM

yea it seems like we're going to be getting a lot of rain here too. I would say let's go collecting in May, but the only problem with that is I don't know if I'll have the time, since I'll be very busy with trying to find a job/ finishing up school(I'm graduating on May 30th). Hm... my friend and I spotted some possible creeks around here we might try to collect from this/next weekend but I'd still be willing to go out with you all if I can

#12 Guest_wolfeyes_*

Guest_wolfeyes_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 April 2009 - 05:16 PM

Well we were unsuccessful in finding anything. We didn't get out too far or make a day trip out of it, so I have a feeling this is the reason why. If you guys want to go a weekend Late April/May I could probably do something before the middle of May. Any suggestions?

#13 Guest_gzeiger_*

Guest_gzeiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 April 2009 - 06:08 PM

Anyone for this Friday or Monday the 20th?

#14 Guest_jimjim_*

Guest_jimjim_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 April 2009 - 08:57 PM

I'm good for Monday. Unfortunately my weekends are pretty covered now thru summer. We could meet at Scott Stell park where you can collect various sunfish (from Banded to Dollars to Bluegill, etc.). You'll be close to places to collect some really nice plants also... If you want Mollies,Mosquitofish minners or other small types it will be a hit or miss (mostly miss, to much water).....Jim

#15 Guest_khudgins_*

Guest_khudgins_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 April 2009 - 10:46 AM

I'm good for Monday. Unfortunately my weekends are pretty covered now thru summer. We could meet at Scott Stell park where you can collect various sunfish (from Banded to Dollars to Bluegill, etc.). You'll be close to places to collect some really nice plants also... If you want Mollies,Mosquitofish minners or other small types it will be a hit or miss (mostly miss, to much water).....Jim

I'd love to go out with you guys, but work-week for us Hotlanta sellers says no. Good luck, and I want some pictures!

OTOH, I'm thinking strongly of taking some time off to sample along the coast. I'll keep everyone posted when that happens. ;P

#16 Guest_wolfeyes_*

Guest_wolfeyes_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2009 - 05:31 PM

So my friend and I are thinking of saying to heck with creek a day trips and doing an all day trip for shiners/darters. So does anyone know of good spots, somewhere in SC/GA. As long as its 4-6 hours away I'm open to it.

#17 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 20 April 2009 - 09:20 PM

So my friend and I are thinking of saying to heck with creek a day trips and doing an all day trip for shiners/darters. So does anyone know of good spots, somewhere in SC/GA. As long as its 4-6 hours away I'm open to it.

Columbia is only about 2.5 hours away and I know we have a couple of members up that way that know a lot of good places... maybe they will see this post and hook up with you...
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#18 Guest_khudgins_*

Guest_khudgins_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2009 - 10:25 AM

Columbia's 3 hours from me, so it's day-trippable. Keep me in the loop.

#19 Guest_Dustin_*

Guest_Dustin_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2009 - 11:21 AM

You guys are welcome up this way any time. Just give me some notice and the fish you want to see and I will make sure you find them.

#20 Guest_wolfeyes_*

Guest_wolfeyes_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 April 2009 - 10:28 PM

So killer and I have been talking and we planned for a trip in the greensville, SC area for May 17. Anyone else is welcome to join :)

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users