Charleston, SC

9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_UncleWillie_*

Guest_UncleWillie_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 March 2009 - 06:51 PM

Last week was University of Tennessee's spring break, and since I work for UT now, I got the week off also. My GF and I visited my sister in Charleston (Mt. Pleasant to be exact) for a bit of the week.
I knew of a few ponds down her road that were created when building up foundation for the houses, so I checked them out. I spent about 30 minutes with a dipnet just to see what was there and hopefully find some fish to take home.
With a tackle shop next door, I picked up my 1 day license so that we could grab some just before the long ride to Knoxville.

Two ponds were within ~10 yards of each other
Largest pond (Pond 1)
Posted Image
This pond had a very little plants or structure.

Smaller pond (Pond 2)
Posted Image
This part of the pond had tons of filamentous algae and a decent amount of vegetation.

Both ponds yielded tons of young sailfin mollies, while adults were long gone by the time we got close to the bank. There were 1000s of shrimp. My GF had a hay-day picking through them in the cooler - She insisted we keep 'a few'. Well when I returned home, I realized she put in about 200 without even knowing. :blink: Several went in her tank, my tank, the rest were turned into fish treats.

Pond 1 was mostly mollies, few rainwater killies, gambusia and sheepshead minnows. I also a found a few of these guys (?). I caught very few and released them.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by UncleWillie, 25 March 2009 - 07:04 PM.

#2 Guest_UncleWillie_*

Guest_UncleWillie_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 March 2009 - 07:02 PM

Pond 2 had many more rainwater killies, and after I saw an increase in catch, I decided to keep a few of these for myself.
Posted Image
Posted Image

There was a moderate amount of sheephead minnows. I should have kept a few of these (one made it into my cooler and is quite intertaining in her new home).
Posted Image

And I got one shot of a tiny molly. Several of these came home with me.
Posted Image

And to my surprise, a silverside ended up in the net in Pond 1
Posted Image

So all in all, it was a nice 30 minute dipping and brought home some mollies, rainwaters, 1 accidental sheepshead, and tons of shrimp.
I have ~ 6 female and 3 male rainwaters that have already decided to spawn in my 46 gallon, although all eggs are quickly eaten by my bluefins killies and swamp darters...
Hope that wasn't too painful to read through.
Cheers

#3 Guest_keepnatives_*

Guest_keepnatives_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 March 2009 - 10:38 PM

I also a found a few of these guys (?). I caught very few and released them.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Mummichugs I think

#4 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2009 - 06:54 AM

Could be eastern banded killifish (Fundulus diaphanus diaphanus).

#5 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2009 - 07:25 AM

In Charleston, the safest bet from looking at the photos is mummichog. The fish does look like a banded at first glance, but there are two problems with that ID: the first is relative, that the fish is too robust for a typical banded. The other problem is that Charleston is south of the observed range of the species. The other possibility is the marsh killifish, Fundulus confluentus. It's hard to tell with a subadult like in the photo.

#6 Guest_Dustin_*

Guest_Dustin_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2009 - 07:44 AM

Those are definitely mummichogs. Like Bruce said, Charleston is well south of the observed range of diaphanus. They just barely dip into the state near the NC border and are increasingly rare there. Marsh killies, in Charleston at least, have a different banding pattern and often have some mottling. Juveniles and females also have a nice ocellus in the dorsal. Mummichogs are very common in these type ponds with the fish assemblage that you got.

#7 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2009 - 08:18 AM

Noticably thinner caudal peduncle too.

#8 Guest_UncleWillie_*

Guest_UncleWillie_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2009 - 05:44 PM

Thanks, everyone, for all the responses. That little guy through me for a loop because I was not expecting anything but mollies and gumbusia honestly. I looked at several photos of young mummichogs this afternoon - They look very similar when they have not developed those pretty flecks of gold and blue.

In my tank, the young sailfins are picking away at algae, but not eating frozen or prepared foods. The rainwater killies are now eating bloodworms but I do not know if anyone has had success getting them to take flakes. This tank has sat heavily planted and idle for about 2 months and filled with little critters that they are all feasting on.

#9 Guest_mikez_*

Guest_mikez_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2009 - 06:02 PM

The rain waters should take flake, mine do.

The rain waters are also a cinch to breed. Put a spawning mop or clump of "bunch" plants in the tank and remove to another tank after a few days. You'd be surprised how many eggs escape being eaten.
I've had fry appear in tanks after moving plants from one tank to another.
The fry are big and easy to feed but be sure to keep them in shallow water [less than a foot] until they swim up.

#10 Guest_UncleWillie_*

Guest_UncleWillie_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2009 - 06:32 PM

Mike,
When I first got the rainwaters home, I searched the board and read up on many of your posts. They have been quite helpful. I hope they learn to take flakes. They have already spawned (since I got them home on Sunday). They males show some very interesting courtship dances and circles. If i can get a spare tank, I would love to try to raise them. I have noticed that flagfish need shallow water as well, or the fry do not develope correctly.
Thanks!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users