Dipnets

27 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 August 2006 - 10:11 PM

I've had really good luck with Cumings' dipnets. They are sturdy, deep, and very strong.

http://www.cumingsnets.com/

Model #: 270-12-SG

#2 Guest_dredcon_*

Guest_dredcon_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 August 2006 - 05:42 PM

Do they stand up the net full after net full of SAV and mud? Thats what always kills my nets.

#3 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 August 2006 - 08:15 PM

Do they stand up the net full after net full of SAV and mud? Thats what always kills my nets.

I personally use the above net to sift for Lamprey ammocoetus in heavy Mucky sand with heavy debris. I highly Recommend them as their durablity is unmatched.

BTW someone here has one of my nets.... Drew...Skip....Teleost.....
(No big deal BTW as I have about 5 of them :P )

#4 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 August 2006 - 07:10 AM

I hope we didn't leave a net at the last location :( .
I'll check when I get home but I'm almost possitive I ony have my cummings net at home.

#5 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 August 2006 - 08:05 PM

I don't like nets where the fabric wraps around the frame - it's too vulnerable to abrasion.

#6 Guest_dsmith73_*

Guest_dsmith73_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 August 2006 - 08:09 PM

I don't like nets where the fabric wraps around the frame - it's too vulnerable to abrasion.

This is for sure. You either need to go with the monorail style net or the cummings type nets with etal bar protecting the edge. Then again, we rarely use dipnets over sand or rock anyway, so it's not that terribly important.

#7 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2006 - 10:55 PM

[quote]then again, we rarely use dipnets over sand or rock anyway, so it's not that terribly important.[/quote]I do this all the time. I use the monrail style net with a telecoping painter's pole. I've torn up enough nets, even with this type of frame, that it's rather a large deal to me! I would use my seine more if I could find somebody to hold the other end.[/quote]

#8 Guest_dredcon_*

Guest_dredcon_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2006 - 11:05 PM

[quote name='Irate Mormon][quote]then again' date=' we rarely use dipnets over sand or rock anyway, so it's not that terribly important.[/quote']

I do this all the time. I use the monrail style net with a telecoping painter's pole. I've torn up enough nets, even with this type of frame, that it's rather a large deal to me! I would use my seine more if I could find somebody to hold the other end.[/quote][/quote]

Next time I make up to Vicksburg I gould give ya a hand with the seine.

#9 Guest_keepnatives_*

Guest_keepnatives_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 August 2006 - 06:41 PM

I love the "Perfect Dipnet" I got from Jonah's Aquarium replacing the net was tough but I'm not sure I did it correctly but did get it replaced. I get holes in all my nets pretty frequently but only because I'm always sticking em in the brush and under banks.

Mike Lucas

#10 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 August 2006 - 07:01 PM

I love the "Perfect Dipnet" I got from Jonah's Aquarium replacing the net was tough but I'm not sure I did it correctly but did get it replaced. I get holes in all my nets pretty frequently but only because I'm always sticking em in the brush and under banks.

Mike Lucas

It is a subtle art to learn... But I find mending nets a relaxing hobby all on it's own......That and I'd likely go through 20 Dipnets a year if I did not.... :)

#11 Guest_dsmith73_*

Guest_dsmith73_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 September 2006 - 10:57 AM

Come to think of it, I have never once actually torn the netting in one of my Cummings dipnets. I have a monorail style net I got before I kew about the Cummings nets and I did tear and replace it. Another advantage of the Cummings nets is the bag depth. These have a rather shallow bag compared to many others I have worked with. There is nothing worse than having to dig through a bunch of debris and loose netting when looking for your fish. Sometimes it's necessary, but why make it harder than it has to be?

#12 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 September 2006 - 06:17 PM

My only problem with the Cummings nets is that they are too heavy for me...

With the monorail net I carry one pole and as many heads as I want. I have two heads with two differenct meshes.

#13 Guest_dredcon_*

Guest_dredcon_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 September 2006 - 11:06 AM

These have a rather shallow bag compared to many others I have worked with. There is nothing worse than having to dig through a bunch of debris and loose netting when looking for your fish. Sometimes it's necessary, but why make it harder than it has to be?

Do you use the shallow bag when collecting in very heavy vegetation?

#14 Guest_dsmith73_*

Guest_dsmith73_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 September 2006 - 11:17 AM

These have a rather shallow bag compared to many others I have worked with. There is nothing worse than having to dig through a bunch of debris and loose netting when looking for your fish. Sometimes it's necessary, but why make it harder than it has to be?

Do you use the shallow bag when collecting in very heavy vegetation?

Yes. When I say shallow bag, I mean shallower in relation to the monorail style nets I have used. The bags is probably 6-8 inches deep vs a foot or more in others.

#15 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 September 2006 - 11:25 PM

I used to use the deep bag dipnets and thought I would never change. This year I switched to the shallow bag and found I spend less time hunched over sifting through the bag. This saves my back as well as gets me to the next patch of weeds faster. I suspect I miss a few fish but I get plenty with the shallow bag.

#16 Guest_dredcon_*

Guest_dredcon_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 September 2006 - 11:42 PM

I guess its time to order some new nets and give them a try. I've about worn out all the bags in my schools nets.

#17 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 November 2006 - 06:28 PM

I've had really good luck with Cumings' dipnets. They are sturdy, deep, and very strong.

http://www.cumingsnets.com/

Model #: 270-12-SG

I took your advice and phoned in an order for one of these on Tuesday at lunch time. I came home from work yesterday (Friday) and found it waiting for me. It took only three days to arrive, and I told her I wanted it shipped the cheapest way, not fast. I was very impressed by how quickly it arrived.

It seems to be a very nice net. I like the extra bar across the front to take the abrasion.

#18 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 January 2008 - 09:40 AM

Anyone have sources where I can get an 8' long handles, all one piece. Smith Root is 200 bucks just for the handle. Does Mark have that? Haven't heard back from him and can't google up the cached version of the custom page.

#19 Guest_dsmith73_*

Guest_dsmith73_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 January 2008 - 09:56 AM

Anyone have sources where I can get an 8' long handles, all one piece. Smith Root is 200 bucks just for the handle. Does Mark have that? Haven't heard back from him and can't google up the cached version of the custom page.

I'm sure Mark has that available. I would try contacting him again.

#20 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 January 2008 - 10:47 AM

I'm sure Mark has that available. I would try contacting him again.

He needs to get his website finished an put back up.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users