600 Gallon Gar tank.

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_CHBGator_*

Guest_CHBGator_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2009 - 05:38 PM

Just a few shots of my Gars, 4 Florida Gar and 1 Longnose. I'm looking for 1 more Longnose gar or a shortnose. In the tank with them are 1 yellow Perch, 2 Green sunfish and a Warmouth. I just dropped about 2 dozen shiners and fatheads. The longnose is 14" and still not a year old his growth slowed down over the winter so I hope with the warm up he gets some more size to him.

Posted Image
Left Side
Posted Image
Right side
Posted Image
A few gar shots. I hope the Red on the longnose caudal fin stays. Its also showing more on the rest of his fins.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#2 Guest_UncleWillie_*

Guest_UncleWillie_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2009 - 05:44 PM

Very, very nice! Your plants are doing very well. They seem to have grown a good deal since I saw your tank last. Your fish look very plump as happy! Didn't you have p-seeds in there? Or did they become gar snacks. Very nice tank, CHBGator.

#3 Guest_Jim_*

Guest_Jim_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2009 - 05:46 PM

Very impressive setup, and great lookin fish :smile2: Nice work

#4 Guest_CHBGator_*

Guest_CHBGator_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2009 - 06:02 PM

Very, very nice! Your plants are doing very well. They seem to have grown a good deal since I saw your tank last. Your fish look very plump as happy! Didn't you have p-seeds in there? Or did they become gar snacks. Very nice tank, CHBGator.

Thanks! yep the plants are going nuts in there most were a good 8-12" away from the surface and now a few are bent at the surface by about 18". As for the other fish I had a BGxGreen hybrid, 3 other yellow perch and 2 Pseed but the tank was to crowded and busy so I gave them away. The tank is much more relaxed now.

#5 Guest_panfisherteen_*

Guest_panfisherteen_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2009 - 06:14 PM

nice tank, must be fun watching the gar swim along at their leisure

#6 Guest_blakemarkwell_*

Guest_blakemarkwell_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2009 - 06:27 PM

Nice tank! Looks very, very natural! I can tell the fish are happy, I see those gar smiles. :)

Blake

#7 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2009 - 06:28 PM

Not usually one for saying nothing but:
Very nice...

But that all that fits :)

#8 Guest_CHBGator_*

Guest_CHBGator_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2009 - 06:30 PM

nice tank, must be fun watching the gar swim along at their leisure

Very much so! They don't swim around to much unless its to take a gulp of air. But feeding time with live feeders is the entertaining time to watch. It usually ends up being one gar chases a shiner right into the jaws of another gar.

#9 Guest_CHBGator_*

Guest_CHBGator_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2009 - 06:38 PM

Not usually one for saying nothing but:
Very nice...

But that all that fits :)

huh? I always thought of you as the silent type. :tongue:

#10 Guest_Jim_*

Guest_Jim_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2009 - 07:23 PM

He doesnt say much but , what he does say, is always worth hearing, and putting in a safe place :smile2:

#11 Guest_MUBOTE_*

Guest_MUBOTE_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2009 - 09:19 PM

wow. most amazing thing ever. very very nice.

#12 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2009 - 11:00 PM

Oh yes..... quiet... really silent..... and never controversial :P
Have to say again awesome tank.. I think I'd advise another Longnosed (or two) over getting a short though.. Longnosed really do seem to do good in groups and a short I'm afraid would bash it self to death.

#13 Guest_natureman187_*

Guest_natureman187_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2009 - 11:54 AM

Awesome indeed. That has to be one of the nicest large setups I've seen.

#14 Guest_CHBGator_*

Guest_CHBGator_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2009 - 04:27 PM

Oh yes..... quiet... really silent..... and never controversial :P
Have to say again awesome tank.. I think I'd advise another Longnosed (or two) over getting a short though.. Longnosed really do seem to do good in groups and a short I'm afraid would bash it self to death.

Thats what I was afraid of with the shortnose in such a large tank and with my luck I'd get the most psychotic one ever. I imagine it could work up quite a head of steam over 8'. I've been hearing of a great spot near by that lots of LN congregate at because they cant get past an old mill dam thats on one of the small rivers leading into Lake Erie. I spent a few hours last weekend making up some rope lures I'm going to try out during their spawning run in may-june. Hopefully I'll catch one or two small enough for the tank. Thanks for the Compliments

#15 Guest_sunnyman97_*

Guest_sunnyman97_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2009 - 03:40 PM

Wow! thats a very healthy looking Tank! I would love to have a tank like that.

Edited by sunnyman97, 01 April 2009 - 03:40 PM.

#16 Guest_joshuapope2001_*

Guest_joshuapope2001_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2009 - 05:51 PM

Very Impresive.......This is one of the best aquascapes I have seen on this site...... congrats and look forward to seeing more pics as the tank progresses.....

#17 Guest_andyavram_*

Guest_andyavram_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2009 - 06:14 PM

Very nice tank. Most people botch up the aquascaping, especially in the large tanks, but this one is simple and really has the illusion of a pond bottom, or slow moving section of river. Nice work.

I have seen a few gar in the NE Ohio rivers but not alot.

Andy

#18 Guest_mdwalt1_*

Guest_mdwalt1_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 April 2009 - 11:26 AM

Beautiful, healthy looking fish there! Excellent, natural aquascape. Very well done! Thanks for sharing these photos.

#19 Guest_Gambusia_*

Guest_Gambusia_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 April 2009 - 12:58 PM

How do you crowd a 600 gallon tank with sunfish and yellow perch??

#20 Guest_CHBGator_*

Guest_CHBGator_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 April 2009 - 03:19 PM

It was to crowded for my taste and the gars imo. To much darting around especially at feeding time I had to feed a lot of market shrimp and live food like shiners and fatheads in order for the gar to get a chance to eat.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users