River Monsters

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Casper Cox_*

Guest_Casper Cox_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2009 - 09:21 PM

Animal Planet is starting a new series this Sunday at 10 pm.
River Monsters.
The commercial looks pretty cool as he seems to be wrestling Alligator Gar, Sturgeon and Catfish. Our kind of fish. The Animal Planet website promo is pretty weak though.
The fella is an Englishman named Jeremy Wade. I met him at the Texas NANFA convention as we were both hoping to catch one of the greatly promised Buffalo. His camera was at the ready while i had a cast iron skillet, charcoal and smuggled herbs. Not a bite. I did get to snorkel amongst 6' Alligator Gar with my hands tucked tightly to my sides.
The show looks promising so i will try to catch it Sunday night, before i break bad.
That reminds me to recommend Okie Noodling if you have never seen it. It comes onto the local PBS station pretty regular and is a blast of culture and curiosity if you can catch it. The director, Bradley Beesley, has recently released a followup, Okie Noodling 2.

Casper

#2 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2009 - 10:31 PM

Dang! I'll be in the field. I've been watching the documentaries on NGC with the Mekong and Amazon, etc. Be nice to see a little native flair.

That reminds me, I gotta get my Okie Noodling back from Long Hair Phil. Girls Gone Grabblin' just ain't givin' the magic any more ;)

Todd

#3 Guest_blakemarkwell_*

Guest_blakemarkwell_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2009 - 10:37 PM

That reminds me, I gotta get my Okie Noodling back from Long Hair Phil. Girls Gone Grabblin' just ain't givin' the magic any more ;)

Todd

Girls Gone Grabblin' - I got a kick out of that one, haha. I have seen the previews and made a mental note to check it out, thanks for the reminder!

Blake

#4 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2009 - 10:50 PM

It's funny for about 5 minutes and then it's kinda, um, gratuitous.

Okie Noodling is FAR better, worth every dime. I watch that probably twice a year and it never looses its magic.

However, coming home from a Convention to my new girlfriend at the time and pulling GGG out of my bag and saying "Hey, wanna watch this lil' sumpthin sumpthin a little bit later?" and her laughing so hard she nearly fell on the ground. Now that... That is what they say is... Priceless.

I knew I should marry her right then :)

Todd

#5 Guest_Casper Cox_*

Guest_Casper Cox_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2009 - 08:10 AM

Yea, Girls Gone Grabblin is pretty lame. Terrible video production. The girls are nice and they are having fun but i'm sure most of the action is stage and prop.
However... If we ever host a NANFA Convention here i'm gonna have a guest appearance and river demonstration by The Tennessee Grabbling Girls.
:)

#6 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2009 - 09:17 AM

Good Goodeidae! I thought Todd was kidding! :shock:

Apparently there is now a "Girls Gone Grabblin' 2"...

#7 Guest_schambers_*

Guest_schambers_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2009 - 01:45 PM

Apparently there is also an Okie Noodling 2, with "new and eccentric fishermen." That makes it sound like the noodlers in the first one weren't eccentric. Personally, I think that going noodling automatically qualifies you as eccentric.

I stayed up waaaaay past my bedtime watching the National Geographic Specials.

#8 Guest_bart_*

Guest_bart_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 April 2009 - 10:36 PM

Anybody watch the show? I thought it was ok. Very sensational as is par for the course these days. I suspect the people in the bus indecent were dead before the piranha got them.

I often wonder why there are so few quality programs about North American freshwater game and non-game fish. Who wouldn't enjoy watching smallmouth bass root and kill crayfish or the beautiful display colors and behavior of our beloved darter species?

#9 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 April 2009 - 10:43 AM

We're working on it Bart! :)

Todd

#10 Guest_EdBihary_*

Guest_EdBihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 April 2009 - 11:54 AM

If you watched it, then you noticed that there was a fish expert named Brian Zimmerman?! Not our smbass, but a British gent with the same name. Still, an interesting coincidence ;-)

#11 Guest_Casper Cox_*

Guest_Casper Cox_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 April 2009 - 05:44 PM

Here is a pic of Jeremy fishing for Buffalo at the Texas NANFA convention last year.
Not a bite.
I need to take him up to Wisconsin next week for the Lake Sturgeon wrestling.

I missed the show last Sunday. I was too focused on Breaking Bad.

If anyone caught it i would be curious of what River Monster they highlighted.

Attached Files

#12 Guest_daveneely_*

Guest_daveneely_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 April 2009 - 08:44 PM

If anyone caught it i would be curious of what River Monster they highlighted.

hey casper,

Piranha. The show was better than I was expecting...

This week is supposed to be Bagarius -- you won't want to miss this one. Awesome teeth (imagine muskie teeth on a flathead-like body with a narrow caudal peduncle), grow to 2m+ and are restricted to rivers draining off the himalayan plateau; they're particularly abundant below places where bodies are dumped into the rivers... I caught some to about 1m long in China and they're really incredible fish.

got some nice morels last week before the cold front came through. hope you've been getting out...

#13 Guest_Casper Cox_*

Guest_Casper Cox_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 April 2009 - 09:22 AM

I caught the show last night...
Pretty cool, tho for the first 1/2 hour i thought i was being highly manipulated via editing.
I cant remember what he called these fish... Gooch?
They had neat underwater video of this strange catfish... the episode was called Killer Catfish... and the theory was some of the Gooch were getting very big and had been feeding on partially cremated bodies burned in funeral pyres along the river's edge, as is the custom in that region. Several people and a Water Buffalo had disappeared and crocs had been ruled out. Jeremy had caught one that looked to be about 5' long and weighed 161 pounds. The teeth on it were fearsome. Jeremy did a good job of being the adventurer. I like when he "took a swim" with the Gooch running downstream. Jeremy, wearing his well frayed t-shirt is not "slick" like most of these TV adventure hosts.
Perhaps he did find a River Monster.
Next week... Sunday at 10pm EST on Animal Planet is Alligator Gar. I bet back in the Native American days the Gator gars were really big River Monsters!

#14 Guest_joshuapope2001_*

Guest_joshuapope2001_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 April 2009 - 03:19 AM

I missed the show this last sunday but cought it the sunday before.... The host is a bit much....and one had to sort out a little fact from fiction but overall I enjoyed it and look forward to watching more in the future

#15 Guest_Stumpknocker_*

Guest_Stumpknocker_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 April 2009 - 11:22 AM

Guys I saw the Gooch "Killer Catfish" episode.He caught the killer catfish finally and it was a killer literally..the teeth on that thing....incredible. Alligator Gar is the next episode coming on. Looking forward to this.. :cool2:

Edited by Stumpknocker, 14 April 2009 - 11:39 AM.

#16 Guest_bart_*

Guest_bart_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 April 2009 - 10:49 PM

I really enjoyed this week's episode. I found the possibility of these fish being able to be eat people somewhat plausible given the conditions as mentioned above. I did really enjoy when he went for a swim while fighting his big fish. I wish he would talk a little about the rig and bait he used to get the fish to bite though.

#17 Guest_sandtiger_*

Guest_sandtiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 April 2009 - 12:52 PM

Animal Planet's 'River Monsters' Reels In Best Series Debut In Network History
http://www.underwate..._id=91803672451

#18 Guest_Casper Cox_*

Guest_Casper Cox_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2009 - 10:13 AM

I caught the show last night and much enjoyed it. I did not feel manipulated but educated and entertained. Well done, i hope other NANFAns saw it as well. Jeremy is a good host for this series it seems to me after a couple episodes. I missed the Piranah series debut.
Also on the show was smooth headed Wayne Heaton, our Texas '08 NANFA host. He was sitting with Jeremy in front of the big amplitheatre tank at the Texas Fisheries Center. He talked a bit on how and what they eat, generally taking their time with a catch before orienting and swallowing it.
I still think maybe an ancient, big, 10' or more Alligator Gar could and would snag a small swimming mammal or bathing Indian baby if the opportunity presented itself but agreed that alligators were the likely culprit in white man tales. I'm sure the Indians knew when and where not to bath and swim.
Great video of the Gars, both underwater, wrestling onto the boat and while handling them. Expanding skull shots, double rowed teeth, sharp arrowhead scale plates.
I know why he was wanting to catch the Buffalo now... Gar bait. He did not tell me that as i stood close by with my skillet and spices in hand.
I did get to try some Buffalo this weekend. Pretty good but i prefer Walleye and Dry Land Fish a bit more. The Yellow Dry Landers seem to be closer to the creeks this year. That is a new habitat for me, as i had been hunting the hillsides and ravines.

Next Sunday at 10 on Animal Planet Jeremy is after some kind of big Catfish. Flatheads? Here in Chattanooga scuba divers always swear and expand on the legends of carsized cats below Chickamauga Dam.

Oh yea, you would have to be crazy to jump in a tank of Alligator Gar like he did at the end. That would make for good tourist footage if things were to break bad.

#19 Guest_Drew_*

Guest_Drew_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2009 - 10:18 AM

Oh yea, you would have to be crazy to jump in a tank of Alligator Gar like he did at the end. That would make for good tourist footage if things were to break bad.

I thought you were the snorkelmeister! You wouldn't do it given the opportunity?

#20 Guest_bart_*

Guest_bart_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2009 - 03:34 PM

I have been watching the show religiously and I love it! He is a great host. I wonder though, how long till they run out of monster freshwater fish could potentially kill people? Maybe they will segue into monster fish of other kinds?

As far as next weeks episode they mentioned "European" monster catfish and the Wells catfish comes to mind. I have heard of them eating bird dogs but not people.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users