2006-12-06 San Gabriel River California

3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_itsme_*

Guest_itsme_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 December 2006 - 12:01 PM

I drove an hour and a half yesterday to get my car fixed, which didn't happen :mad: so I "consoled" myself by detouring up the San Gabriel Canyon to check out the river... since I was in the neighborhood anyway :) I'm always amazed at how you can go from LA sprawl to apparent wilderness in a matter of minutes. It's geography. The cities are in the valleys and steep mountains rise from their edges. But even in this undeveloped land, the city encroaches. Grafitti on the rocks belies the fact that we're only 10 min from the NE edge of the endless sprawl of Los Angeles. You can see one large work of "art" on the big rock. But you can't see, that at this point in the corridor, where I scrambled down the bank from the road, seemingly every tree and rock was emblazoned with indecipherable tribal symbols in spray paint and gouged into the tree trunks with clannish zeal. The littered evidence of a 1000 weekend "picnics" marred the ground. Note to self, avoid this spot on the weekend, but Wednesday afternoons are desolate.

#2 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 December 2006 - 12:44 PM

I drove an hour and a half yesterday to get my car fixed, which didn't happen :mad: so I "consoled" myself by detouring up the San Gabriel Canyon to check out the river... since I was in the neighborhood anyway :) I'm always amazed at how you can go from LA sprawl to apparent wilderness in a matter of minutes. It's geography. The cities are in the valleys and steep mountains rise from their edges. But even in this undeveloped land, the city encroaches. Grafitti on the rocks belies the fact that we're only 10 min from the NE edge of the endless sprawl of Los Angeles. You can see one large work of "art" on the big rock. But you can't see, that at this point in the corridor, where I scrambled down the bank from the road, seemingly every tree and rock was emblazoned with indecipherable tribal symbols in spray paint and gouged into the tree trunks with clannish zeal. The littered evidence of a 1000 weekend "picnics" marred the ground. Note to self, avoid this spot on the weekend, but Wednesday afternoons are desolate.

Ha, I can tell you have a problem with primate behavior, Mark. Count your blessings you're not that kind of stoopid.

#3 Guest_itsme_*

Guest_itsme_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 December 2006 - 02:18 PM

Well, I got stuck with that trip report. I tried to upload a photo, but I guess it was too big, so I uploaded the photos and the rest of the text here: http://jonahsaquariu...sangabriel.html

#4 Guest_bearskookums_*

Guest_bearskookums_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2007 - 04:37 PM

Wow I used to go to San Gabriel all the time! (also to monterey park, etc...my fav restaurant is there)...anyway but I feel sick now that I saw the pics and never knew theres such a cool place there in san gabriel...wish I knew back then! :(
I went fishing a couple times but all in man made lakes...again thanks for posting those great pics.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users