Grass Pickerel ID

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_panfisherteen_*

Guest_panfisherteen_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 April 2009 - 04:24 PM

I'm in Ontario, in the Georgian Bay/Lake Huron Drainage. I'm hoping to go fishing in a lake about 30 min from me that apparently has Grass Pickerel, and I want to try and catch some angling. There are pike in Bass Lake as well, so if I were to submit photos of grass pickerel to the local MNR, Id need to find out the difference between the juvenile pike I may catch, as well as the elusive Grass Pickerel to make sure I am submitting Grass Pickerel pics, and not hammerhandles. Any tried and true ID indicators?

#2 Guest_Drew_*

Guest_Drew_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 April 2009 - 04:48 PM

A quick trait to differentiate between the two would be the teardrop under the eyes. Pike do not have this trait. Also, pickerel do not have any markings or spots on their fins. This will help you as long as there are no chain pickerel in the same waters. If there are chain pickerel, then the best identifier in juveniles would be snout length ratios.

#3 Guest_panfisherteen_*

Guest_panfisherteen_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 April 2009 - 06:54 PM

ok, no tear drop under pike's eyes (they show no remorse for what they eat :rolleyes: ), grass pickerel has no marks on fins. How do you measure snout to length ratio, is it mouth to eye for the snout? What is the pike s-l ratio and what is the grass pickerel s-l ratio. btw, grass pickerel are the only pickerel in ontario, just for future reference :cool2:

#4 Guest_Drew_*

Guest_Drew_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 April 2009 - 08:06 PM

Check this link : http://books.google....J7qLkC&pg=PA242

It is for redfin pickerel vs chain pickerel but redfins and grass are close enough for the comparison.

#5 Guest_panfisherteen_*

Guest_panfisherteen_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 April 2009 - 10:48 PM

Well, by looking at this source ( http://books.google....l#PRA1-PA196,M1 ), it says that grass pickerel have an oblique black bar that extends past the angle of the jaws to the throat, while other species of pikes other than the pickerels dont have the bar go past the jaws. btw, that looks like it is a good book for anyone to read if they plan on getting any species of natives :cool2:

#6 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2009 - 10:36 PM

The tear drop does not work... Young Northern Pike can have a tear drop. The best way is actually rather simple... Pickerel do not have spots or any kind of markings on their fins, Pike and muskie have spots or wavy dark markings on their fins.

Attached File  Grass_Pickerel_from_Muskellunge_Creek_03_27_07_by_BZ.JPG   40.22KB   2 downloads
Adult Grass Pickerel
Attached File  jv_grass_pickerel_by_BZ.jpg   54.76KB   2 downloads
Young Grass Pickerel

Attached File  jv_northern_pike3_harrison_ditch_7_21_06_by_BZ.JPG   37.03KB   2 downloads
Young N. Pike
Attached File  jv_northern_pike7_harrison_ditch_7_21_06_by_BZ.jpg   29.41KB   2 downloads
Another Young N. Pike

#7 Guest_panfisherteen_*

Guest_panfisherteen_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2009 - 04:25 PM

thanks for the photos, they help a lot :cool2:

#8 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2009 - 08:22 PM

No problem. Looking at the fins will at least divide the entire pike family in to two groups... Redfins, Grass and Chain Pickerels have no dark markings on the fins, Muskie and N. Pike do. Not sure about the Amur Pike in Asia... if I had to guess I would say they probably have some spotting on the fins.

#9 Guest_NateTessler13_*

Guest_NateTessler13_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 April 2009 - 07:12 AM

Not sure about the Amur Pike in Asia... if I had to guess I would say they probably have some spotting on the fins.

Google searched it, and they sure do.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users