Planted tank maintenance

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_mshi_*

Guest_mshi_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 December 2006 - 08:21 AM

In a planted tank with fish, will the waste (fish waste/uneaten food) that reaches the substrate become fertilizer for the plants? If so, it seems the substrate should not be lightly vacuumed once in a while like in a non planted tank. Is this true? I seems with a soil substrate it would get stirred up very easily if disturbed (even if topped with gravel) .

#2 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 December 2006 - 11:24 AM

In a planted tank with fish, will the waste (fish waste/uneaten food) that reaches the substrate become fertilizer for the plants? If so, it seems the substrate should not be lightly vacuumed once in a while like in a non planted tank. Is this true? I seems with a soil substrate it would get stirred up very easily if disturbed (even if topped with gravel) .

You've got it exactly right. In my tanks, I really don't vacuum up mulm. Too valuable! (Note, that some high-tech planted tanks might have you vacuuming, but you are also not using soil and are adding all kinds of fertilizers to make up for it). For a soil tank, try to disturb the soil as little as possible. Even when mulm accumulates, I usually just let it lie there. More natural looking to my eye. If it gets really bad, I might lightly stir it up (using a turkey baster) and let the filter take care of some of it, or try re-directing some of the tank's flow.

Having live wiggly things in the tank helps bring the mulm down into the soil. Aquatic worms, snails, etc. can really be helpful. Although not native, I really like Malaysian trumpet snails (careful - they can be a pest in our native waters), as they do most of their browsing during the night, then burrow during the day and poop it out under the gravel. They also don't eat plants, only algae and detritus. (If anyone knows of a native snail with similar attributes, PLEASE let me know!) They also multiply like mad, but the majority of the army is out after the lights go off.

Remember - mulm is your friend!!!

#3 Guest_hmt321_*

Guest_hmt321_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 December 2006 - 02:06 PM

olive nerites do not eat plants, but they do not dig in the gravel, they do eat algea, even hair algea

#4 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 December 2006 - 02:33 PM

olive nerites do not eat plants, but they do not dig in the gravel, they do eat algea, even hair algea

Thanks! I'll have to look for them next time I go to Florida.

I read (just now) that their eggs don't hatch in fresh water (but they leave them all over). Pity, really, as I like to have a high snail population. (another plus to the MTS is that they are livebearers, hence no egg jelly all over the place).

#5 Guest_mshi_*

Guest_mshi_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 December 2006 - 06:34 PM

The Malaysian trumpet snails sound like a great addition to the tank. When I set up the tank this spring, any suggestions where a guy in Northeast PA can get them and how many would you suggest starting with in a 75 gallon decently planted tank. I don't see any at the typical livestock vendors.

#6 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 December 2006 - 09:25 AM

The Malaysian trumpet snails sound like a great addition to the tank. When I set up the tank this spring, any suggestions where a guy in Northeast PA can get them and how many would you suggest starting with in a 75 gallon decently planted tank. I don't see any at the typical livestock vendors.

Remember now... they aren't native... [-X You might just want to start with those nerites if it makes a difference to you. The MTS are a real pain to get rid of if you decide you don't want them. Sort of like duckweed. You'd have to kill every invert in the tank with copper, since they hide really well in the substrate.

That being said, you can probably find them at any LFS. They don't sell them. Not pretty enough. They often populate tanks that aren't treated with copper, and they will give you some for free (while thinking you are nuts). They get up to about 1.5 cm max, I think, and look like a pointed spiral. The shape is pretty, but they are a plain brown. If you can't find any, I can send you some. Dozens.

Here's a few websites I found while trying to find you a photo:
http://www.aquahobby...tuberculata.php
Only one photo, but does have testimonials from people who really dislike them.

http://www.aqualandp.....n Trumpet.htm
Very good photos, a little to optimistic about them in my book. Although they claim otherwise, you will see a few during the day.

I'm not trying to say they're bad (I find them to be exceptionally useful), but that you may regret putting them in there, because you really can't change your mind after the fact.

#7 Guest_keepnatives_*

Guest_keepnatives_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 December 2006 - 11:52 PM

Would Greenside Darters be able to clear them out or are they so nocturnal that the darters wouldn't see most of them. I think I'd like to try some at any rate.

#8 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 December 2006 - 09:26 AM

Would Greenside Darters be able to clear them out or are they so nocturnal that the darters wouldn't see most of them. I think I'd like to try some at any rate.

Not sure. Do greensides eat snails? Or darters in general? I know they eat insects, but I don't know if they can get through snail shells?

Anyway, if you want to try them, there's no loss even if they do get eaten, since your LFS will probably give you some for free. (or, if not, buy some feeders or something and ask them to throw in a bunch of the snails.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users