soft vs stiff .......in netting of course

2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_netmaker_*

Guest_netmaker_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2009 - 09:23 AM

Its that time of the year and the same question comes up along with just tons of discussion.

In taking samples for scientific use ONLY, is a soft netting better than a more stiffer netting?
In taking samples for Live Catch only, a soft better netting better than a stiff netting?

If you are involved in Live Catch, does the softer netting help the fish survive in the net or does it allow the spines, fins etc. to get stuck and damaged?
Vice verse if the netting is stiffer.

There are basically these available;
  • Black, tar based which is very hard but lessens with each use until it becomes just a brown color.
  • Green Net Coat ( petro-based) which is very stiff and slippery and stays rather rigid for months.
  • Water based coating (acrylic ) which is stiff but becomes somewhat pliable after soaking.
  • No coating, but tangles everythying and is weaker under abusive use

So, what IS the scoop on your thoughts on this dilema:

1.] Live Catch: stiff or soft
2.] R&S Data : stiff or soft

PS
Irate, Blue Moji doesn't count in this questionaire....... but there is now a chance that I can have access to it once again. Wouldn't that start some interesting discussions?

#2 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2009 - 09:48 PM

Irate, Blue Moji doesn't count in this questionaire....... but there is now a chance that I can have access to it once again.

Don't tease me, Greg! I want that stuff like Moon wants a shovelnose sturgeon :wub:

#3 Guest_netmaker_*

Guest_netmaker_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 April 2009 - 01:32 AM

Don't tease me, Greg! I want that stuff like Moon wants a shovelnose sturgeon :wub:

IM,

The Old Guard for the company retired and the new guys want to move into the US market . They have several new nettings I am looking at but the Blue Moji is still the most sought after. Seems they added some new thicknesses and mesh sizes but it still is the same tough stuff it always was. I'll keep you posted.

I still remember when that big warehouse guy at MN&T tore that delta and then heavy delta in his bare hands . Then he looked at that light Moji and laughed. Caruthers and Gibson dropped their jaws when he grunted and groaned for 10 minutes and not a single mesh had moved. ...and that was the 4x4 ply....I never showed them the 6x8.

Gawd! That was some beautiful stuff.

I am just dumdfounded about this stiff vs soft debate. I'll have to make a move this summer one way or the other.

keep in touch.
Greg

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users