Feeding time!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_JohnO_*

Guest_JohnO_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 April 2009 - 07:53 PM

I've taken to dumping frozen bloodworms into the stream from the reef filter, as it takes the food straight to the bottom where the darters get a shot at it. Otherwise, the shiners, dace, and studfish would get it all. After several months of that, if I even throw flake food on the top, the darters all go flying to the corner of the tank where the stream is.

From this shot, I can pick out: rainbow, banded, variegate, bluebreast, redline, orangethroat, headwater, striped, and there's a speckled buried under the pile. And one poor highland shiner who stumbled into the frenzy.

Posted Image

#2 Guest_BTDarters_*

Guest_BTDarters_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 April 2009 - 11:57 PM

Very neat! Awesome photo!

Brian

#3 Guest_CATfishTONY_*

Guest_CATfishTONY_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 April 2009 - 05:38 AM

cool nice shot.

#4 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 April 2009 - 07:10 AM

Nice shot John.

#5 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 April 2009 - 11:12 PM

Those fish look rather thin... I think you need to feed them more or have less of them in there. The photo is nice though.

#6 Guest_blakemarkwell_*

Guest_blakemarkwell_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 April 2009 - 12:00 PM

I agree, nice photo, but those darters, especially the variatum look incredibly malnourished.

That is my problem with people taking home darters in that they essentially "graze" 24/7 in their natural habitat and do not feed like the cyprinids. I have seen it done right, but very rarely, that is why I rarely take a darter's home.

By the way, don't take this negatively, just as constructive criticism. On the other side of the coin I am glad that you are in love with darters and want to learn about them by watching them in your personal aquarium.

Blake

#7 Guest_JohnO_*

Guest_JohnO_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 May 2009 - 12:45 PM

That particular variegate is an old fish. I've had it close to two years, and it was large when I found it. Don't know why it's so thin, it seems to be alert and has no problem chasing down bloodworms and scuds.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users