SRBD in Grand River in Ohio?

20 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 April 2009 - 12:48 PM

Do any of you know in HUC #4110004 where one would find SRBD (Southern Redbelly Dace)? According to nature serve they are historical and not current. ( Phoxinus erythrogaster - Southern Redbelly Dace - Historical) Is this a fruitless search? PM me if you have a specific location.

Thanks,

Tom

#2 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 April 2009 - 02:50 PM

Is Big Creek part of the Chagrin or Grand watershed? It's been too long since I've been back so I've forgotten.

#3 Guest_andyavram_*

Guest_andyavram_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 April 2009 - 03:04 PM

Yes, Big Creek is part of the Grand and presumably they still exist there.

Edited by andyavram, 28 April 2009 - 03:05 PM.

#4 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 April 2009 - 03:07 PM

Aren't they in Mill Creek too?

Todd

#5 Guest_andyavram_*

Guest_andyavram_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 April 2009 - 03:14 PM

I have never seen a SRBD at all (I am a loser) but I have messed around alot more in Mill Creek and Paine Creek than Big Creek and I have never gotten any, although that doesn't mean they aren't there.

Andy

#6 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 April 2009 - 04:52 PM

I have never seen a SRBD at all (I am a loser) but I have messed around alot more in Mill Creek and Paine Creek than Big Creek and I have never gotten any, although that doesn't mean they aren't there.

Andy

Same here. I have also looked in any small trib near my house.

#7 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 April 2009 - 06:58 PM

Tom you should be able to get a few locations or nearby from the appendicies of a mid 2000's OEPA Div. Surface Water Grand River watershed report. If that doesn't work out let me know I may have a locale burried away for you.

#8 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 April 2009 - 07:08 PM

Tom you should be able to get a few locations or nearby from the appendicies of a mid 2000's OEPA Div. Surface Water Grand River watershed report. If that doesn't work out let me know I may have a locale burried away for you.

You happen to have a link to the EPA Div. Surface Water Grand River watershed report? I cant locate it.

#9 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 April 2009 - 07:19 PM

http://www.epa.state...ex/psdindx.html

Should be around 2006 or 2005 and maybe another one 5+ years before that too. Unfortunately over the past few years I saw the fauna of Big Creek steadily from a great cold/coolwater community. It had improved greatly from say 20 years ago but I think those gains from point sources may have been lost to the suburban sprawl of Chardon and Chardon Twp. I may look through the appendicies and data to see if my personal observations hold true. The sediment and silt loads have steadily increased in its headwaters and some nasty headcuts have formed in the section I used to access via family property.

#10 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 April 2009 - 07:29 PM

http://www.epa.state...asinTSD2006.pdf is what I found, I will look in it and see if it has anything about fish location. I used to have it downloaded but must have deleted it accidentally.

ETA: I found nothing about fish locations.

Edited by tglassburner, 28 April 2009 - 07:35 PM.

#11 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 April 2009 - 08:01 PM

Found the old one, shows no SRBD it shows blacknose and redside dace.

The hunt continues.............

#12 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 April 2009 - 08:36 PM

Stream name, river mile, and location, which is occassionally a road name...those are pretty decent general locations. I see SRBD at three sites in the 2006 report and I know they are in the older report I used it to find them and some other species several years ago.

#13 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 April 2009 - 05:50 AM

Aren't they in Mill Creek too?

Todd

To confuse the matter, there are two streams named Mill Creek in the Grand River basin. Are we talking about the small stream in Hogback Ridge Metropark or the large tributary upstream of Harpersfield?

#14 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 April 2009 - 05:55 AM

Stream name, river mile, and location, which is occassionally a road name...those are pretty decent general locations. I see SRBD at three sites in the 2006 report and I know they are in the older report I used it to find them and some other species several years ago.

I figured out how I missed them I searched for "dase" what a brainfart.

#15 Guest_NateTessler13_*

Guest_NateTessler13_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 April 2009 - 08:51 AM

Andy

Haha, the thought of not seeing a SRBD making you a loser

#16 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 April 2009 - 10:22 AM

No worse than me searching for "dase" in the pdf document.

#17 Guest_andyavram_*

Guest_andyavram_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 April 2009 - 12:46 PM

All my fish catching friends have seen them and I just don't feel like I can measure up, so I hang my head in shame.

Heck, we are supposed to have those dopey fish at the park my office is based out of and I haven't seen them here.

I friend of mine mentioned finding them somewhere near the Ashtabula / Lake Co. border, but couldn't remember exactly where at the time. That potentially could be in the Grand River / Mill Creek area.

Andy

#18 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 April 2009 - 10:33 PM

Don't have a specific location but a tip on what type of stream to look for... They seem to be in even smaller streams than the redside dace, so look for some very small streams. Also they are rather intolerant of turbidity but seem to thrive in streams with excess nutrients. I have seen them in some streams in the middle of farm fields as long as there were grass buffers and some development to the stream.

#19 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 April 2009 - 09:43 AM

Tom, in the Mill Creek that comes in at the bend upstream of Harpersfield.

#20 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 April 2009 - 09:57 AM

Agree with Brian, and also look for places that suggest groundwater seeps, veg beds, scour holes under roots.
Phox can sometimes be concentrated in these microhabitats, not always mixed in with the other dace & shiners.
(based on my experience in NC with MRBD, not SRBD)

Don't have a specific location but a tip on what type of stream to look for... They seem to be in even smaller streams than the redside dace, so look for some very small streams. Also they are rather intolerant of turbidity but seem to thrive in streams with excess nutrients. I have seen them in some streams in the middle of farm fields as long as there were grass buffers and some development to the stream.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users