collecting gear

5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_fishes2catch_*

Guest_fishes2catch_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 December 2006 - 01:34 PM

I'm gearing up to do a bunch of sampling over the next few years (once per week throughout the sring and summer in various watersheds). Does anyone have experience with water testing kits? I would like one that is easy to use and that measures things like: pH, DO, turbitity, salinity, temp, and so on.... I have looked into chemical test kits but they seem like they would be difficult to use in the field. I'm going to depend on a lot of student help so I would like to use their time wisely and reduce sampling error. So, I think that I would like to use an electronic meter. There seems to be a wide range of prices and models. Has anyone used these? Can someone recommend a good sturdy unit that will not cost an arm and a leg?

Also, not being a plant guy. Is there a good water plant ID book that is specific to the Northwest? Does anyone know of a good place to purchase minnow traps? I will need about 50 of them.

thanks

#2 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 December 2006 - 02:51 PM

Also, not being a plant guy. Is there a good water plant ID book that is specific to the Northwest? Does anyone know of a good place to purchase minnow traps? I will need about 50 of them.

HA! It's hard enough to find a good aquatic plant book for anywhere in the US, never mind one that's readable by a "non-plant" person. (Or, one could argue, even a plant person, for that matter.)

Unfortunately, the only good books I know of are for the northeast and southeast. You might want to try calling your DNR (or DEQ, or DEP, whatever it is called where you are), and ask some of the plant folks if they can recommend anything. Actually, the best idea I can recommend is to go to a university near you and filter through their plant section. You may find something there that you like enough to purchase.

Sorry I'm not more helpful.

#3 Guest_nativecajun_*

Guest_nativecajun_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 December 2006 - 04:20 PM

For my minnow trap that I have the local Wallmart worked fine. Other than that, bait stores would be a good source. You may be able to google it or go to amazon and find better deals for as many as fifty minnow traps. Maybe Johnas Aquarium if I spelled that right. You can find a link here on this site somewhere for that place "Johnas Aquarium. As for all that technical stuff well ask the experts which is not me. I would bring a simple ph kit if it were me and not worry about the rest. But thats me, maybe I will learn to be a pro someday but the fish I catch and keep you could hang out to dry overnight and them put them back in the water and watch them swim around for another few years.

About the local Wallmart and minnow traps. You may want them to order them ahead of time for you if you go that route. I doubt they would have fifty in stock.

#4 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 December 2006 - 05:29 PM

I'm gearing up to do a bunch of sampling over the next few years (once per week throughout the sring and summer in various watersheds). Does anyone have experience with water testing kits? I would like one that is easy to use and that measures things like: pH, DO, turbitity, salinity, temp, and so on.... I have looked into chemical test kits but they seem like they would be difficult to use in the field. I'm going to depend on a lot of student help so I would like to use their time wisely and reduce sampling error. So, I think that I would like to use an electronic meter. There seems to be a wide range of prices and models. Has anyone used these? Can someone recommend a good sturdy unit that will not cost an arm and a leg?

thanks

I have a couple of test meters from Hannah - a pH meter and a TDS meter. Both were relatively inexpensive.

http://www.hannainst...line/tester.cfm

#5 Guest_looks2ce_*

Guest_looks2ce_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 April 2007 - 09:19 PM

honestly - the field test kits are not that difficult to use in the field with a group of students. I am an educator at Project Oceanoloy, and we do field H2) testing with a wide range of schools. It is all about group management. If you are going to be doing this with your class, you should have no problems maintaining the group well. You will know them and there abilities.

I can look to see which of the various testing kits we use if you are interested. I know the basic kit test Temp, Salinty, pH, CO2, DO - and sometimes we do nutrients.

Conal O'Keefe

#6 Guest_KoiGuy_*

Guest_KoiGuy_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2007 - 08:14 PM

Why do you need 50 minnow traps? $9/trap. $7 shipping for a few traps if you order online...
Where will you store them?

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users