Not the prettiest

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_cjones_*

Guest_cjones_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 May 2009 - 03:31 PM

I stumbled upon this sculpin while I was collecting darters for my aquarium. I have always been fascinated by the way some fish rapidly change colors.

Light phase
Posted Image

Dark phase
Posted Image

#2 Guest_Amazon_*

Guest_Amazon_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 May 2009 - 10:49 PM

Neat fish, to bad I dont have them here in Louisiana

#3 Guest_BTDarters_*

Guest_BTDarters_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 May 2009 - 01:49 AM

Nice pics and fish! Do you know what species it is? We don't have too many sculpin species here in Wisconsin.

Brian

#4 Guest_cjones_*

Guest_cjones_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 May 2009 - 02:32 PM

There are 2 native in the etowah watershed where I found this one, C. Bairdii (Mottled), and C. Carolinae (Banded). However they look so similar I don't know how to tell them apart.

#5 Guest_daveneely_*

Guest_daveneely_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2009 - 08:59 AM

There are 2 native in the etowah watershed where I found this one, C. Bairdii (Mottled), and C. Carolinae (Banded). However they look so similar I don't know how to tell them apart.

Part of the problem is that neither of those two species occurs in the Etowah. There's a "subspecies" of Cottus carolinae (originally described in 1877 as "Cottus" zopherus but later and unnecessarily synonymized with carolinae) in the lower portion of the drainage (offf the Blue Ridge), and an undescribed critter in the upper portion of the drainage. This undescribed thing is what you've got. Both of them usually have complete lateral lines, but zopherus typically has a more slender caudal peduncle, more pectoral fin rays, and less orange in the 1st dorsal fin of nuptial males (along with a bunch of other characters). Folks have known about the new sculpin since the 1950s, and it's been unofficially referred to as the Smoky sculpin since then, but as it turns out there's more one thing within Smoky sculpins... I'm finishing up descriptions of these species, hopefully have something out very soon. There's some recent photos from GA in my section of the NANFA Gallery, and I'll be heading out later this week to get more. Hope this clarifies things a bit.

#6 Guest_daveneely_*

Guest_daveneely_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2009 - 09:04 AM

there's also a pretty slick paper by Andrew Whiteley et al. in upcoming issue of Evolution discussing rapid change in ground color in Coastrange sculpins. Well worth a read.

#7 Guest_cjones_*

Guest_cjones_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 May 2009 - 08:00 PM

wow thanks for the info. I have some reading to do. :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users