Fishes of Massachusetts

34 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 May 2009 - 03:29 PM

ok other states have really good sites that list there fish with pictures and general areas where they can be located...well i can only find this for the game fish and not "bait fish" and minnow type fish. maybe someone else out there has a better link or can put me in the right direction. im having trouble finding spotfin shiners and creek chub.

thanks guys

#2 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 May 2009 - 06:19 PM

Have you looked at the book, Inland Fishes of Massachusetts by Hartel et al.? Creek chubs are usually in any medium-sized stream especially if it's a little funky, they're even harder to kill than bluegills.

#3 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 May 2009 - 06:22 PM

I looked for the book on google the mass aud isn't open right now. How much is the book? Like 100 bucks? I can't afford that right now. I def wanna check it out tho

#4 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 May 2009 - 07:13 PM

ill show you some places ive been going....all with no luck...although these same type of places yielded fish in new york.

just in case some local heads are seeing this...this is the wachusetts reservior area's tributaries.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#5 Guest_sandtiger_*

Guest_sandtiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 May 2009 - 07:26 PM

If you're pressed for cash this book may be more to your liking but it doesn't deal with MA fish exclusively and I don't know if it includes all the known species or just the more abundant ones.
http://www.amazon.co...s/dp/0815630204

I can't find a good site for MA either, or NE for that matter. Your best bet would be to do a search on NatureServe.
http://www.natureser...Hucs/master.htm

Are you located in the Blackstone watershed? If so you may not have creek chubs or spotfin shiners.
http://www.natureser...jsp?huc=1090003

Edited by sandtiger, 13 May 2009 - 07:34 PM.

#6 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 May 2009 - 07:36 PM

If you're pressed for cash this book may be more to your liking but it doesn't deal with MA fish exclusively and I don't know if it includes all the known species or just the more abundant ones.
http://www.amazon.co...s/dp/0815630204

I can't find a good site for MA either, or NE for that matter. Your best bet would be to do a search on NatureServe.
http://www.natureser...Hucs/master.htm

Are you located in the Blackstone watershed? If so you may not have creek chubs or spotfin shiners.
http://www.natureser...jsp?huc=1090003

yeah ive been searching natureserve.... thanks for these links. i just need more local advice from local members is all.

#7 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 May 2009 - 08:04 PM

Am I right in thinking that spotfin shiner aren't even in Mass? At least the first picture doesn't look like anywhere on the Atlantic coast I've collected creek chub.

#8 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 May 2009 - 08:08 PM

I think they r listed as baitfish in mass hmmm

#9 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 May 2009 - 08:10 PM

That doesn't necessarily mean the are found in the state. They may be approved for the sale or use as bait because they are commonly sold.

#10 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 May 2009 - 08:11 PM

Ahh I see. I'm still learning

#11 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 May 2009 - 08:21 PM

natureserve has them listed in mass

http://www.natureser...eviewMiddle.wmt

in the law it says the following fish can be taken from the waters

1. American eel (Anguilla rostrata)
2. White sucker (Catostomus commersoni)
3. Creek chubsucker (Erimyzon oblongus)
4. Banded killifish (Fundulus diaphanus)
5. Mummichog (Fundulus heteroclitus)
6. Pumpkinseed (Lepomis gibbosus)
7. Golden shiner (Notemigonus crysoleucas)
8. Emerald shiner (Notropis atherinoides)
9. Spottail shiner (Notropis hudsonius)
10. Rainbow smelt (Osmerus mordax), only as provided in 321 CMR 4.01, Table 1.
11. Yellow perch (Perca flavescens)
12. Fallfish (Semotilus corporalis)
13. Bluntnose minnow (Pimephales notatus)
14. Fathead minnow (Pimephales promelas)
15. Herring (Clupea spp.) may be used as bait in the Connecticut River, Merrimack River, and coastal rivers and streams, only as provided in 321 CMR 4.01: Table 1 and 322 CMR, but may not be possessed or used as bait in other rivers and streams, or in lakes, ponds, or reservoirs.

#12 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 May 2009 - 08:31 PM

Spotfin shiner are not found in Mass. Spottail shiner are.

#13 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 May 2009 - 08:33 PM

Hahaah clearly I can't read. Lol. Ill blame LOST season finally on this mistake lol

#14 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 May 2009 - 09:33 PM

ok other states have really good sites that list there fish with pictures and general areas where they can be located...well i can only find this for the game fish and not "bait fish" and minnow type fish. maybe someone else out there has a better link or can put me in the right direction. im having trouble finding spotfin shiners and creek chub.

thanks guys

Finding any info on new england is hard, but Mass and Vermont both seem to have better info on locating fish than NH does. I pick up all kinds of snippets online and in fish and even in fishing books. I find it odd how sources in both mass and vermont have better listings of non-game fish found in boundary waters than NH does.

#15 Guest_mikez_*

Guest_mikez_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 May 2009 - 10:11 PM

You need the Hartel book - it's a must. I paid $40.00 a few years ago.
Creek chubs are in the Ct river drainage. Fallfish fill that niche in all the eastern drainages.

You live near lots of good water. Find the clean tribs to the blackstone for dace, fallfish and tesselated darters etc. Try searching online for trout streams.
The French river has the only madtoms in Ma.
Just to get you started...

#16 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 May 2009 - 10:19 PM

You need the Hartel book - it's a must. I paid $40.00 a few years ago.
Creek chubs are in the Ct river drainage. Fallfish fill that niche in all the eastern drainages.

You live near lots of good water. Find the clean tribs to the blackstone for dace, fallfish and tesselated darters etc. Try searching online for trout streams.
The French river has the only madtoms in Ma.
Just to get you started...

yeah im not really interested in the madtoms...although my parents live in charlton 10 min away from the french river near rt 20/rt 56 in oxford. im having trouble finding stuff in the blackstone tribs... i netted the quinsigamond river and axtol. didnt even see a fish.

#17 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2009 - 08:58 AM

Alrighty I called the mass audobon shop 2 min ago. They told me that the book is out of print and they can't get it. Ugh

#18 Guest_schambers_*

Guest_schambers_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2009 - 01:16 PM

Watch Amazon or this site: Cheapest Book Price . By being patient and checking back frequently, I picked up a new copy of "Fishes of Ohio" by Trautman for $25. It lists for $95.

Edited by schambers, 14 May 2009 - 01:17 PM.

#19 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2009 - 05:48 PM

mikez here are some trib of the blackstone...any specific place i should go? i mean do you have an exact collect site you would like to share?

Tributaries

In addition to many unnamed tributaries, the following brooks and rivers feed the Blackstone:
Worcester Aqueduct
Dorothy Brook
Cronin Brook
Quinsigamond River
Mumford River
West River
Still Corner Brook
Emerson Brook
Bacon Brook
Aldrich Brook
Ironstone Brook
Branch River
Fox Brook
Cherry Brook
Mill River
Peters River
Crookfall Brook
West Sneech Brook
Monastery Brook
Abbott Run

#20 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 June 2009 - 04:07 PM

mikez here are some trib of the blackstone...any specific place i should go? i mean do you have an exact collect site you would like to share?

Tributaries

In addition to many unnamed tributaries, the following brooks and rivers feed the Blackstone:
Worcester Aqueduct
Dorothy Brook
Cronin Brook
Quinsigamond River
Mumford River
West River
Still Corner Brook
Emerson Brook
Bacon Brook
Aldrich Brook
Ironstone Brook
Branch River
Fox Brook
Cherry Brook
Mill River
Peters River
Crookfall Brook
West Sneech Brook
Monastery Brook
Abbott Run

cold brook stream is the only place good so far for me. im looking for common shiners as of right now and spottails.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users