My Stream Tank Conversion Process

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 May 2009 - 07:26 PM

Alrighty I am converting my 55 gallon into a native tank...still have my south americans in there but they will be gone by friday...i have already started making my stream/native tank.....so i will post all my pics in here...

Last Week
Posted Image

As of right now....
Posted Image

#2 Guest_panfisherteen_*

Guest_panfisherteen_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2009 - 08:04 PM

startin to look good, what do you plan on putting in the tank once the s.americans are evicted? I assume at least darters by the blue writing in the bottom of your post...

#3 Guest_BTDarters_*

Guest_BTDarters_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 May 2009 - 11:16 PM

Lookin' good! Please keep us posted!

Brian

#4 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2009 - 08:49 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

#5 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2009 - 08:51 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#6 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2009 - 08:52 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#7 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2009 - 08:53 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#8 Guest_SloughShark_*

Guest_SloughShark_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2009 - 09:14 PM

Tank's lookin great :smile2:

#9 Guest_panfisherteen_*

Guest_panfisherteen_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2009 - 09:51 PM

wow looks really great =D> I see you had no problems in filling the tank with fish :cool:

#10 Guest_BTDarters_*

Guest_BTDarters_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2009 - 02:00 AM

Justin,

The tank and fish look great! I like the Greenside Darter pics. Also the Rainbow Darter pic. Is that one of the guys you got from me?

Brian

Brian J. Torreano - Owner
BTDarters
American Native Fish for
your aquarium...and more!
Web: http://www.btdarters.com
Email: bt@btdarters.com
Phone: (262) 268-7489

#11 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2009 - 06:40 AM

Justin,

The tank and fish look great! I like the Greenside Darter pics. Also the Rainbow Darter pic. Is that one of the guys you got from me?

Brian

BTDarters
American Native Fish for

nope the one got from you has alot more color in him...is that a female that i posted here? i thought it was. does anyone know the kind of plants those are?

#12 Guest_keepnatives_*

Guest_keepnatives_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2009 - 07:15 PM

The tank looks fantastic. Fish look like they're enjoying it too.

#13 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 May 2009 - 06:30 AM

The tank looks fantastic. Fish look like they're enjoying it too.

im surprised by the amount of current i have in there with just the filters..the fish are uprooting my plants though.

#14 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 21 May 2009 - 11:48 AM

im surprised by the amount of current i have in there with just the filters..the fish are uprooting my plants though.

Which fish do you think are doing it... not darters... the reason I ask is that I have noticed that many of the easy to grow plants are not compatible with high current... it is a problem that I have had in my stream tanks... java fern for example doesn't seem to stand up well to current. I don't have any problem with fish tearing up plants (darters, shiners, nocomis, madtoms)... I know that bullhead cats do redecorate some, but that is all I have seen.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#15 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 May 2009 - 11:53 AM

Its possible the current is doing it. I was thinkin the coomon shiners and the red side dace might be doing it when they swim thru it. My darter for the most part stick to the rocks with the exeception being the swamp darters.

#16 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 21 May 2009 - 12:02 PM

Its possible the current is doing it. I was thinkin the coomon shiners and the red side dace might be doing it when they swim thru it. My darter for the most part stick to the rocks with the exeception being the swamp darters.

OK... the dace are probably not ramming into things, they are fast, but agile fish and don't really like running into things... common shiners on the other hand are a pretty stout fish... they could be doing something... but again, are not really known for going after plants... keep your eyes open, you may see something that teaches us all about a captive behaviour.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#17 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 May 2009 - 04:21 PM

OK... the dace are probably not ramming into things, they are fast, but agile fish and don't really like running into things... common shiners on the other hand are a pretty stout fish... they could be doing something... but again, are not really known for going after plants... keep your eyes open, you may see something that teaches us all about a captive behaviour.

well the shiners are like 5 inches.....and 2 red side dace and like 4 inches so im just thinking they go in there and turn around and it uproots them...ill be on the look out

#18 Guest_BTDarters_*

Guest_BTDarters_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2009 - 03:16 AM

nope the one got from you has alot more color in him...is that a female that i posted here? i thought it was. does anyone know the kind of plants those are?

The fish in the picture looks like a male that's just not colored-up. The way to tell the males from the females is that in the second dorsal fin, males will have streaks of color from the base of the fin to the tip. Females will have dashes of color from base to tip. Regarding your plants, they look like some species of Myriophyllum (Foxtail). Maybe someone else can give you a more definite ID. Hope this helps!

Brian

BTDarters
American Native Fish for

#19 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 May 2009 - 03:31 PM

a little update...i had a very sudden ammonia spike..ive never had this problem before....i dont know if the native plants were starting to die....or a few scoops of live blackworms i threw in there died in the sand...i was told they would live...so i dont know why this would cause a spike....needless to say there are lots of left over worms all throughout my sand...i did a 75% water change the other day....and last night noticed it was still high...i removed all the plants....and threw them away...i then took all my fish out and put them back in my 20 gallon where they currently waiting for the 55 to be home again. i think that i am going to remove all my sand and add small river pebbles (the size of dimes and nickles)..i feel like the water will stay cleaner. i thought all the food i was feeding was being eaten...except maybe a few blood worms here or there....could it be the blackworms? overfeeding? or the plants? i have ALOT of overfiltering going on so i thought it could handle a good amount....it handled alot more fish then i had now with alot more heavy feeding from my cichlids.

whats wrong>!>!>!!?!?!??!?!??!?!?!?!!?!? so stay tuned for new pics :(

#20 Guest_keepnatives_*

Guest_keepnatives_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 May 2009 - 08:29 PM

a little update...i had a very sudden ammonia spike..ive never had this problem before....i dont know if the native plants were starting to die....or a few scoops of live blackworms i threw in there died in the sand...i was told they would live...so i dont know why this would cause a spike....needless to say there are lots of left over worms all throughout my sand...i did a 75% water change the other day....and last night noticed it was still high...i removed all the plants....and threw them away...i then took all my fish out and put them back in my 20 gallon where they currently waiting for the 55 to be home again. i think that i am going to remove all my sand and add small river pebbles (the size of dimes and nickles)..i feel like the water will stay cleaner. i thought all the food i was feeding was being eaten...except maybe a few blood worms here or there....could it be the blackworms? overfeeding? or the plants? i have ALOT of overfiltering going on so i thought it could handle a good amount....it handled alot more fish then i had now with alot more heavy feeding from my cichlids.

whats wrong>!>!>!!?!?!??!?!??!?!?!?!!?!? so stay tuned for new pics :(

Were the fish showing signs of distress? Unless the blackworms were mostly dead to begin with I doubt it was them especially if you have a lot of live ones in the sand. If the fish appeared to be okay I'd have left things as they were and done some small frequent water changes over several days. Removing the plants unless you could see they were rotting may have been premature as well. Excess feedings of frozen bloodworms could be a problem but I'd think you'd notice that. Just replacing the sand with dime and nickel size pebbles sounds like more trouble, keep the sand add a layer of small gravel and some pebbles for looks, the sand shouldn't be a problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users