Sturgeon Pics

15 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2009 - 11:28 AM

Awesome: http://www.riggsphot...m/Nature/710401

The second page is even better. I wonder where this was?

Todd

#2 Guest_blakemarkwell_*

Guest_blakemarkwell_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2009 - 12:10 PM

Now that's cool!

Blake

#3 Guest_Kanus_*

Guest_Kanus_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2009 - 01:01 PM

Between those pictures and a story one of my high school teachers had about being hit with a jellyfish at 40 mph...I'm not sure I'll ever be brave enough to water ski.

Great captures, someone has a really good reaction time there.

#4 Guest_Amazon_*

Guest_Amazon_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2009 - 04:22 PM

Between those pictures and a story one of my high school teachers had about being hit with a jellyfish at 40 mph...I'm not sure I'll ever be brave enough to water ski.

Great captures, someone has a really good reaction time there.

Great pics. We have gulf sturgeons over here in the tangipahoa river, although ive never seen them fly out of the water like that.

#5 Guest_schambers_*

Guest_schambers_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2009 - 04:59 PM

Wonder how many years it took to collect all those pictures . . .

#6 Guest_jim graham_*

Guest_jim graham_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2009 - 08:33 PM

Awesome: http://www.riggsphot...m/Nature/710401

The second page is even better. I wonder where this was?

Todd

I suspect those were all fish that had been hooked after seeing the picture with the boat in it.

#7 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2009 - 08:38 PM

I suspect those were all fish that had been hooked after seeing the picture with the boat in it.

Yeah, I agree those are all hooked fish.

Todd

#8 Guest_SloughShark_*

Guest_SloughShark_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 May 2009 - 07:08 PM

Those pics are great! But I disagree that these were hooked fish. In the big rivers where I'm from, you can see Lake Sturgeon jumping out of the water for no apparent reason. It's not common, but it happens.

#9 Guest_sschluet_*

Guest_sschluet_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 May 2009 - 08:26 PM

This is from Linwood's website-

My main interest is nature photography, with particular emphasis on the osprey, eagles and Atlantic sturgeon that are found in abundance in the Kennebec River Valley, near my home in Augusta, Maine. Sturgeon, you ask? No, I don't go scuba diving for them in the murky depths of the river; instead, I attempt to photograph them as they leap energetically out of the water during the several weeks of summer when they're active in this area. Why do they perform these acrobatics? Nobody knows for sure - maybe to dislodge parasites from their skin, maybe it's a mating ritual, or maybe they do it just because they can! Whatever the reason, it's a challenge to focus the camera on them and press the shutter release during the one or two seconds that they're airborne. If I'm really lucky, I might even get a photo of one of those huge fish jumping into someone's boat - someone else's boat, I mean! One time when I was kayaking on the Kennebec River near downtown Augusta, a five foot long sturgeon rocketed into the air within ten feet of my boat and plunged back into the water with a tremendous splash! Certainly it was much too close to get a photo with the medium telephoto I was using.

#10 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 May 2009 - 08:59 PM

That's insane. How many hours did he have to spend to get those shots!?! Thanks for posting that Scott!

#11 Guest_BTDarters_*

Guest_BTDarters_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 May 2009 - 10:55 PM

That's neat! In Wisconsin, Sturgeon are thought to jump to dislodge parasitic lampreys from their flesh. Paddlefish do this also. I didn't see any lampreys in the photos, though. Hmmm.

Brian

#12 Guest_bflowers_*

Guest_bflowers_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2009 - 04:05 AM

That's neat! In Wisconsin, Sturgeon are thought to jump to dislodge parasitic lampreys from their flesh. Paddlefish do this also. I didn't see any lampreys in the photos, though. Hmmm.

Brian

Great pictures and I didn't even know Sturgeons were jumpers.

Bill F.

#13 Guest_PhilipKukulski_*

Guest_PhilipKukulski_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2009 - 08:09 AM

I remember hearing about sturgeon breaching in the Suwanee River in Florida.

#14 Guest_fritz_*

Guest_fritz_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2009 - 10:30 AM

At a recent sturgeon symposium it was mentioned that sturgeon breach and splash to attract mates.

#15 Guest_sschluet_*

Guest_sschluet_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2009 - 10:14 PM

At a recent sturgeon symposium it was mentioned that sturgeon breach and splash to attract mates.

Here is the reference that Fritz suggested. The authors suggest "communication" but they do not exclude other hypotheses.

http://www3.intersci...l...=1&SRETRY=0

The external parasite hypothesis doesn't jive from my experience in NY, the young sea lamprey occurrence on captured sturgeon increases throughout the duration of summer. Most jumping activity is in the spring; if this behavior were to explain a response to parasites, we would observe more jumping later in the year. I have seen up to 8 young sea lampreys (7-9 inches long) on a single adult sturgeon. The young lampreys don't appear to do much damage (usually just a reddish area, no deep open sores); this might be a result of the small lampreys weak feeding abilities and the sturgeons scalation (much different than the soft belly of a lake trout).

My recommendation is full motocross (w/ helmet/neck brace) while travelling at any speed on the water in the June : ) Especially if you are on the Suwannee River in FL (the authors in the above reference recorded 1000 jumps in a day!).

EDIT - type "sturgeon strikes" into google....I didn't realize gulf sturgeon-human interactions were that prevalent....

Edited by sschluet, 19 May 2009 - 10:20 PM.

#16 Guest_NateTessler13_*

Guest_NateTessler13_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2009 - 06:57 AM

From experience, the only time I ever hooked a Lake Sturgeon (and it was a big one) it immediately jumped out of the water when I set the hook on the fish. Mind you, I was dragging a nightcrawler on the bottom of a 20 ft. deep hole in the lake, so it clearly made a straight path for the surface. I had a Dwarf Sturgeon in an aquarium a long time ago (maybe 10 years ago now) and when it became startled, it would shoot straight to the surface and jump.

Edited by NateTessler13, 20 May 2009 - 06:58 AM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users