Best book for native fish?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Amazon_*

Guest_Amazon_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 May 2009 - 12:34 PM

I know there was a few threads on this already but they didnt exactly have what I was looking for. Anyway I was wondering what yall think is the best book for id'ing fish, information on the fish(size, water requirements, etc.), if its a protected species, and also a book that shows the fishes detailed distribution.

#2 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 May 2009 - 01:38 PM

For a book that concisely covers a lot of fish in a broad area, you can't beat Peterson's. If you want more detailed information the state "fishes of" books are probably your best bet. This page has many of those resources listed.

#3 Guest_rjmtx_*

Guest_rjmtx_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 May 2009 - 01:52 PM

TOowhomever is in charge of the page linked above, here's another that should be added to the state fish ID book list:

Thomas, C, T. H. Bonner, and B. G. Whiteside. 2007. Freshwater Fishes of Texas. Texas A&M University Press, College Station. 220 pp.

#4 Guest_BLChristie_*

Guest_BLChristie_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 May 2009 - 03:50 PM

See also the pinned reference book thread in the Identification Assistance section for references specific to your area:

http://forum.nanfa.o...wtopic=490&st=0

#5 Guest_Amazon_*

Guest_Amazon_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 May 2009 - 06:16 PM

Thanks for the advice, I just bought the peterson's gide to freshwater fish and it has everything. I counted 174 darter species (give or take a few). It even has my broadstripe topminnow which only lives in my 2 little rivers. Someday I might buy the Fishes of Louisiana book but I dont really need it right now. This book is definantly gonna come in handy when I go collecting this weekend in the Tangipahoa river. This is going to be my funnest and longest collecting trip. :smile2:

#6 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 May 2009 - 07:03 PM

The Page & Burr book (Peterson's) is definitely the single best book, even though it's slightly dated. A second edition is rumored to be in the works, but that rumor's been around for a while already.

#7 Guest_Amazon_*

Guest_Amazon_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 May 2009 - 07:27 PM

The Page & Burr book (Peterson's) is definitely the single best book, even though it's slightly dated. A second edition is rumored to be in the works, but that rumor's been around for a while already.

thats what i got :smile2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users