Benefits for a NANFA member

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Amazon_*

Guest_Amazon_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2009 - 12:11 PM

I was thinking about becoming a member of NANFA, but I dont have my driver's license so what benefits would I have in becoming a member? Im interested in conservation, aquariums, and collecting, but the only way I would be able to collect with yall is if yall had a collecting trip in Southeast Louisiana. Im not sure whether I should become a member or just stick to the forum.
Suggestions?

James

#2 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2009 - 12:27 PM

You don't have to be a member to go on collecting trips. If you join, you get a quarterly magazine (American Currents) that is chock full of information on native fish in the wild and in captivity; you can set up your own gallery here on the forum; and you get the satisfaction of knowing you are helping support NANFA's conservation and education efforts.

#3 Guest_Amazon_*

Guest_Amazon_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2009 - 03:12 PM

You don't have to be a member to go on collecting trips. If you join, you get a quarterly magazine (American Currents) that is chock full of information on native fish in the wild and in captivity; you can set up your own gallery here on the forum; and you get the satisfaction of knowing you are helping support NANFA's conservation and education efforts.

Thanks, ill probably join sometime soon, I think it would be a good thing to do.

#4 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2009 - 10:16 PM

Membership benefits? There are none. Except you get A/C, and you get to be a member of the oldest and most respected organization of its kind! Well, is there any other of its kind? Nope. we'll still get wet with ya, member or not.

#5 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 May 2009 - 08:28 AM

we'll still get wet with ya, member or not.

Unless you're a yankee and Irate thinks it's cold, then you're on your own.

#6 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 May 2009 - 11:02 PM

Anything below 50F is cold. That's a known fact.

Streams are for cooling off, not freezing yourself to death!

#7 Guest_Amazon_*

Guest_Amazon_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2009 - 07:18 AM

Anything below 50F is cold. That's a known fact.

Streams are for cooling off, not freezing yourself to death!

I definantly agree with that one.

#8 Guest_schambers_*

Guest_schambers_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2009 - 07:22 AM

That's why they make waders!

#9 Guest_Scenicrivers_*

Guest_Scenicrivers_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2009 - 12:07 PM

I was thinking about becoming a member of NANFA, but I dont have my driver's license so what benefits would I have in becoming a member? Im interested in conservation, aquariums, and collecting, but the only way I would be able to collect with yall is if yall had a collecting trip in Southeast Louisiana. Im not sure whether I should become a member or just stick to the forum.
Suggestions? James

This question has been asked before, along with threads trying to get more NANFA forum users to join NANFA. If you are asking yourself if you should join an organization then most likely, that organization has provided you something worth while. I truly believe that people who commonly use this forum should be NANFA members, simply to support the costs of maintaining the forum and website.

But why should you join NANFA?

First of all as I said above if you join NANFA you financially support keeping this forum running. This forum puts you in contact with other local people, experienced native aquarium help, native fish ID help, ect... and costs NANFA to host.

Second, you receive the American Currents (AC). This is a journal quality publication that combines research papers, educational articles, trip reports, conservation initiatives, and to many other topics and articles to discuss here all focused on North American Natives.

Third, you support the conservation efforts of NANFA. NANFA offers scholarships for research, education, and conservation efforts for North American Natives.

For other benefits visit the website to see what else NANFA is doing.

Lastly, if you are thinking about joining a conservation minded organization such as NANFA you should not look solely on what they provide for you but the fact that you are supporting an organization that does much for the conservation of the thing that you are interested in.

The $20.00 NANFA annual membership is so cheap for what you support and get compared to other organizations. I have a difficult time seeing why people would not join unless they are jobless, or having a really difficult financial time. Being a student is not an excuse, skip one night at the movie or drinking, or purchasing a video game, or a couple packs of cigarettes, or what ever else that is meaningless but we seem to put in front of legitimate expenses such as a NANFA membership.

James it would be an honor to have you and other forum users join in the efforts of NANFA. I hope that you think again and decide to become a member of NANFA.

#10 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2009 - 12:49 PM

Well said!

#11 Guest_Amazon_*

Guest_Amazon_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2009 - 08:17 PM

Im definantly joining. Dont worry im not like normal teens, I dont drink, smoke, party, or do any of that stupid meaningless stuff that most people do. Id way rather go to a creek and do some collecting than go to some party where everyones gonna be drunk and probably kill themselves in a car accident from getting drunk. The whole native fish collecting/keeping thing given me some of the best experiences in my life and I seriously dont understand why somebody would rather harm their bodys by doing all kinds of bad things than going out to a creek and enjoying nature which is what all of us should be celebrating in our lives.

#12 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2009 - 02:35 PM

Third, you support the conservation efforts of NANFA. NANFA offers scholarships for research, education, and conservation efforts for North American Natives.

For other benefits visit the website to see what else NANFA is doing.

Lastly, if you are thinking about joining a conservation minded organization such as NANFA you should not look solely on what they provide for you but the fact that you are supporting an organization that does much for the conservation of the thing that you are interested in.

Is their any way to ensure the research and conservation will effect my part of the country?

Up here in the north east info on local fish populations is scarce. I heard that a NANFA meeting or other get together in the north east (especially new england) will be unlikely as east of the appalacians for fresh water and north of cape cod for salt water the species diversity declines tremendously.

I like the idea of supporting conservation and research as well as getting AC in the mail, but I want to know the conservation and research will be used locally, not just me paying for someone in a popular drainage.

Also does it list job opportunities? I graduated college ten years ago with a BA in biology and have been unable to find jobs in the field, especially locally.

#13 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2009 - 04:26 PM

Speaking as chair of the Conservation Research Grant committee, we encourage and consider proposals from all parts of North America. Like you said, biodiversity is relatively low in New England and a lot of damage has been done long since. There is interesting work that could be done, like determining the northern range limit and population structure of the spotfin killifish along the southern New England coast (I should do it myself!). Or another possibility would be the extent of the displacement of native longear sunfish by introduced bluegills and largemouth bass. In the south and lower midwest there are plenty of darters, shiners and killifish that deserve attention, which is different from the rest of the country. But there are interesting questions from Alaska to the Valley of Mexico, pretty much our defined area of interest. The next proposal deadline is January 19. Start writing!

#14 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2009 - 09:12 PM

Speaking as chair of the Conservation Research Grant committee, we encourage and consider proposals from all parts of North America. Like you said, biodiversity is relatively low in New England and a lot of damage has been done long since. There is interesting work that could be done, like determining the northern range limit and population structure of the spotfin killifish along the southern New England coast (I should do it myself!). Or another possibility would be the extent of the displacement of native longear sunfish by introduced bluegills and largemouth bass. In the south and lower midwest there are plenty of darters, shiners and killifish that deserve attention, which is different from the rest of the country. But there are interesting questions from Alaska to the Valley of Mexico, pretty much our defined area of interest. The next proposal deadline is January 19. Start writing!

One thing I'd LOVE to see done is a fish map of the connecticut river drainage, the main river, the tributaries, the smaller sub streams, all of it. Every fish mapped. I find info on fish (especially non game fish) in general in my area to be lacking and often conflicting from one state to another with mass and vermont at times disagreeing on the number and kinds of species found in border waters with what new hampshire says.

Plus I'd like to see studies done on if the introduction of black crappie to the connecticut river had a negative impact on the white perch population. (I caught less perch since crappie have become common), the northward movement of channel cats along the drainage and its ijmpact on native species is also worth studying.

As a state that lost two species (or if your a lumper subspecies or maybe varieties) of trout i think we cannot afford to overlook any fish in our boundaries.

#15 Guest_Scenicrivers_*

Guest_Scenicrivers_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2009 - 10:32 AM

Is their any way to ensure the research and conservation will effect my part of the country?

Up here in the north east info on local fish populations is scarce. I heard that a NANFA meeting or other get together in the north east (especially new england) will be unlikely as east of the appalacians

I don't think that a National Organization could promise funding in a specific area, when the organization has a grant application process. I am sure that if a well written grant proposal was submitted from your area it would be considered based on its merits just as any other grant that the Conservation Research Grant Committee receives.

If the committee does not receive any grant applications from your region, well what can I say.

Also those of us who post jobs, post what comes across our desk. We do not hesitate to post jobs that we know about from other parts of the country. But one thing that I learned from my dad and I applied to getting a job in my field, is you have to make a job of getting a job. You have to also be some what willing to go where the jobs are. I did not go to college until I had worked in the factories for six years after high school, was married and had several kids. But I was willing to work hard at volunteering, internships, networking, and putting out hundreds of applications, resumes, phone calls, visiting offices, etc... to find the jobs that I have had in the field. If you have a full time job then make it a second job to find work in the field you want. We will continue to post what ever jobs come across our desks, but as a National organization we do not see every job. You may have to find contacts in the field near you and volunteer so that they get to know you and put postings in front of you. I hope you find success in attaining the job you want, if we can help please let me or others know. Drop us an email if you have questions about jobs we have posted. We will help you as much as we can.

#16 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2009 - 10:48 AM

Freshwater Mussels and the Connecticut River Watershed
http://www.ctriver.org/shop/index.html

This 2008 book by artist/naturalist Ethan Nedeau (biodrawversity.com) is not a fish book, but has superb ecological info and maps of the entire Connecticut River watershed. You can probably make a good guess at fish distributions based on the mussel distribution & diversity info in this book. Loads of color photographs and illustrations of habitats, mussels, a few fish, and beautifully written. Only problem is its FREE so you'd never expect the quality of it. (Just pay $5 for shipping). Of course the Connecticut River Watershed Council would LOVE to have a larger donation if you can afford it, to continue their education and conservation work and be able to offer free books like this. Wish i'd had it when i was a kid in Springfield MA.

One thing I'd LOVE to see done is a fish map of the connecticut river drainage, the main river, the tributaries, the smaller sub streams, all of it. Every fish mapped. I find info on fish (especially non game fish) in general in my area to be lacking and often conflicting from one state to another with mass and vermont at times disagreeing on the number and kinds of species found in border waters with what new hampshire says.

Plus I'd like to see studies done on if the introduction of black crappie to the connecticut river had a negative impact on the white perch population. (I caught less perch since crappie have become common), the northward movement of channel cats along the drainage and its ijmpact on native species is also worth studying.

As a state that lost two species (or if your a lumper subspecies or maybe varieties) of trout i think we cannot afford to overlook any fish in our boundaries.

#17 Guest_Amazon_*

Guest_Amazon_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2009 - 06:19 PM

I did it, I became a member. This is awesome, they said my first issue of A/C will be deliverd this month and it will be the winter issue. I only have one question, how do I get it to show im a NANFA member on the forum, you know, where it says group?

Thanks,
James

#18 Guest_CATfishTONY_*

Guest_CATfishTONY_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2009 - 06:43 PM

[quote name='Newt' date='May 20 2009, 12:27 PM' post='59001']

'Amazon'
Thanks, ill probably join sometime soon, I think it would be a good thing to do.

Amazon, SAVE YOUR MONEY!
just read and learn here. i have been a member for some time.
all i have seen are old issues from a member. dont get me wrong, nice of him.
but this board is not putting out a a quarterly magazine (American Currents)
Group: NANFA Member
Member No.: 1,698
and i have never seen a quarterly magazine (American Currents)
this is a good site with good members.do not join for the extras there not there!!!

#19 Guest_Drew_*

Guest_Drew_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2009 - 06:57 PM

Tony,

You haven't been around NANFA long enough to judge. We do indeed have a quarterly but we have just run into some unforeseen issues. And it isn't this board that puts out quarterly's, it is the organization that does so.

I apologize on behalf of the BoD, but we are working out the issues and plan to have the issues, all of them, out as soon as possible. I'm sorry you feel the way you do.

As said before, the amount of information that you get from this forum, provided for FREE at the expensive of our membership should encourage a person to join.

#20 Guest_CATfishTONY_*

Guest_CATfishTONY_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2009 - 07:06 PM

Tony,

You haven't been around NANFA long enough to judge. We do indeed have a quarterly but we have just run into some unforeseen issues. And it isn't this board that puts out quarterly's, it is the organization that does so.

I apologize on behalf of the BoD, but we are working out the issues and plan to have the issues, all of them, out as soon as possible. I'm sorry you feel the way you do.

As said before, the amount of information that you get from this forum, provided for FREE at the expensive of our membership should encourage a person to join.

DREW I did not judge just stated the facts.
good board with lots of good members.
a life time of knowledge. but no 4 issues a year period
or some one has dropped the ball fill free to look for the truth.
tony.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users