Creating cold water for a tank...

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_ShinersRock_*

Guest_ShinersRock_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 December 2006 - 02:32 AM

I thought I would share an idea with the native fish community. Now Mr. Irate would always tell me how my sculpin would die soon. Well, he's still alive, and I think I know why. I noticed that the water always seems to be oddly cool compared to the room temperature. My tank is stationed next to the window. So I felt around my air pump and noticed I could feel a bit of cold air coming from the window. So now my assumption is that the cold air outside is going through my air pump and helping to keep my tank cool.

So when I hook my 55g up, I plan to have it next to the window, and have the actual pumps outside. That way during the winter time it will help to keep my tank cool.

#2 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 December 2006 - 11:15 AM

Now Mr. Irate would always tell me how my sculpin would die soon. Well, he's still alive

Is he eating?

#3 Guest_ShinersRock_*

Guest_ShinersRock_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 December 2006 - 12:41 PM

Yes, in fact, he readily accepts flake food.

#4 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 December 2006 - 02:22 PM

Yes, in fact, he readily accepts flake food.

Good deal. make sure to throw him some minners every once in a while.

#5 Guest_ShinersRock_*

Guest_ShinersRock_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 December 2006 - 02:35 PM

He hasn't gotten big enough for that yet. I got him when he was about an inch long. He's about 2 inches now.

#6 Guest_chad55_*

Guest_chad55_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 December 2006 - 02:47 PM

Unless your pumps are rated for outdoor use and the cold temps that they can get outside I wouldn't do that. Maybe just run your water outside, make a coil outside or something like that, then run it back in to the pump and maybe even run it back out if you want. If you get what I am saying....?

Chad

#7 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 December 2006 - 02:51 PM

Unless your pumps are rated for outdoor use and the cold temps that they can get outside I wouldn't do that. Maybe just run your water outside, make a coil outside or something like that, then run it back in to the pump and maybe even run it back out if you want. If you get what I am saying....?

Chad

It's pretty normal (for me) for the tank water to be cooler than ambient. I don't even have any air pumps!

#8 Guest_chad55_*

Guest_chad55_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 December 2006 - 02:56 PM

This is a bad computer drawing of what I am talking about. It gets the point across I think. And yes I believe that water is normally 2-4 degrees below air temp.

Posted Image

Chad

#9 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 December 2006 - 03:35 PM

What do you plan to do in the summer?

#10 Guest_ShinersRock_*

Guest_ShinersRock_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 December 2006 - 03:57 PM

I don't see why a piece of equipment wouldn't be able to run in colder weather. Any electronic can, I believe. I'll just make sure it's protected from the rain. As for the summer, naturally air conditioning will be used more, and help keep the tank cool. In the winter, the heat gets cranked up, and this is a way to counteract that.

#11 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 December 2006 - 05:41 PM

I don't see why a piece of equipment wouldn't be able to run in colder weather. Any electronic can, I believe. I'll just make sure it's protected from the rain. As for the summer, naturally air conditioning will be used more, and help keep the tank cool. In the winter, the heat gets cranked up, and this is a way to counteract that.

So... you keep your home at a higher temperature in the winter than you do in the summer? I keep mine the opposite, so my expenses are kept lower. Someday I hope to do the little dorm fridge chiller routine in the summer to see if that has an effect. Of course, I'd have to get my old (really old) dorm fridge back from Mr. Handsome's office.

Regarding the pump working outside - I would worry that the lubricating oils would become to viscous and the pump would sieze or something like that. But if it's a cheap pump, it might be worth a try to see how it works out. In the long run, the dorm fridge may be a better choice. You can probably pick one up for free in May at your local university dorm dumpster.

#12 Guest_chad55_*

Guest_chad55_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 December 2006 - 11:13 PM

I wouldn't trust a pump just for the reason that alot of even pond pumps are only rated for about 34 degrees. Which is cold but it gets colder. Then on top of that the fact that it is a pump meant for indoor use. Bad news if you ask me.... It is just as easy if not easier to run the lines outside.

Chad

#13 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 December 2006 - 11:32 PM

Unless your pumps are rated for outdoor use...

If I understand correctly, he's not saying he's putting the pump outside, just that it is catching drafts from the window. As in, the indoor air is cooler on the window sill. Correct?

#14 Guest_ShinersRock_*

Guest_ShinersRock_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 December 2006 - 11:41 PM

No, he's right. I want to put the air pump outside. But I guess I will just run some air line out there. I don't see how a couple seconds in cold air will cool it enough though. I would see it moving too fast.

#15 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 December 2006 - 11:41 PM

Your typical air pump does not have any parts that require lubricating.

#16 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 December 2006 - 11:50 PM

No, he's right. I want to put the air pump outside. But I guess I will just run some air line out there. I don't see how a couple seconds in cold air will cool it enough though. I would see it moving too fast.

I would try it, put the pump outside, under shelter, I am sure it will be fine, but if not how much are you out, $20?

#17 Guest_chad55_*

Guest_chad55_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 December 2006 - 11:53 PM

Well even if you put the pump outside you aren't going to get anymore time outside than if you put the airline outside. All the pump does is sucks it in and pushes it out as fast as possible. Maybe you should just get a like 200 GPH water pump and try it that way. You can buy them for CHEAP. Like $20 and would be more efficient IMHO.

Chad

#18 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 December 2006 - 11:57 PM

Well even if you put the pump outside you aren't going to get anymore time outside than if you put the airline outside. All the pump does is sucks it in and pushes it out as fast as possible. Maybe you should just get a like 200 GPH water pump and try it that way. You can buy them for CHEAP. Like $20 and would be more efficient IMHO.

Chad

Actually it would be very different, he would be pulling in cold air, rather than having the airline act as a radiator. Personally, I think it is a decent Idea, and there is not much to lose.

#19 Guest_ShinersRock_*

Guest_ShinersRock_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 December 2006 - 12:13 AM

Skipjack beat me to it. It would be pumping in cold air from the outside, rather than taking room temp. air and trying to cool it in a couple of seconds. Heh, wal-mart has air pumps for like 10 bucks

#20 Guest_chad55_*

Guest_chad55_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 December 2006 - 12:22 AM

Skipjack beat me to it. It would be pumping in cold air from the outside, rather than taking room temp. air and trying to cool it in a couple of seconds. Heh, wal-mart has air pumps for like 10 bucks

Didn't even think about it that way...I guess I forgot that the pump needs to get the air from somewhere...In this case I would deffinatly go and try your route. As long as it is in a nice moisture locked container.

Chad

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users