NANFA AUCTION 12x6 x 1/8" Seine

27 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_netmaker_*

Guest_netmaker_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2009 - 11:19 AM

This is just to verify that the 12x6 x1/8" sampling seine I offered as a raffle item for the NANFA CONVENTIOn was built and being delivered this week via FEDFEX.

Sorry for the delay, I've had some special problems and just forgot about the seine delivery.

[attachment=8417:P0004438.JPG]
12x6 x 1/8" sq. 1000 denier Tire Cord Polyester (heavy duty plus) , Sampling Seine

[attachment=8418:P0004441.JPG]
Head Rope w/ 2.5 oz. Crush Proof floats every 12"

[attachment=8419:P0004442.JPG]

Chain/6mm bradied line and webbing Mudline Foot Rope* chain is buried inside the webbing Mudline

All edges machine sewn twice to Guard Mesh and hand tied gripped to line with No.24 16 carrier braided twine. Foot Rope is same except it is also doubled gripped with 450 lb. test Dyneema twine from the chain to the Guard Mesh. Mudline folds under and covers the gap between the foot rope and webbing.

Its not perfect and I am sure there are better seines out there, but it is what we offered and it is being delivered. Thank you for your patience.

Greg

#2 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2009 - 08:32 PM

Greg,

I've never seen a seine made like that. Hoops for the brails, even! Looks like a real nice piece of work.

#3 Guest_netmaker_*

Guest_netmaker_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2009 - 09:28 PM

Greg,

I've never seen a seine made like that. Hoops for the brails, even! Looks like a real nice piece of work.

Nothing special. I just hope the young man is strong backed and has a hefty friend. This puppy is fully loaded for extreme wear and tear. That Foot Rope and Mudine Assembly weighs as much as entire standard seines do.

I don't do many of these and usually only do them in the winter when things get slow. I can not compete with the catalog company guys ' lightweight stuff. They can have one made up on a sewing machine in no time. Or they bring them in from China for $40 a pop. They sell bunches of them .

I go in the other direction and just build the Extreme Gear type. Still, it's just a seine, nothing special, they all catch fish.

Greg

FYI

Negotiations on Moji Net fell through . Looks like the USA will never get to see the Miracle Mesh...ha ha!

#4 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 26 May 2009 - 10:06 AM

Nothing special.

I would have to disagree... looks very cool

I don't do many of these and usually only do them in the winter when things get slow. I can not compete with the catalog company guys ' lightweight stuff. They can have one made up on a sewing machine in no time. Or they bring them in from China for $40 a pop. They sell bunches of them .

I go in the other direction and just build the Extreme Gear type. Still, it's just a seine, nothing special, they all catch fish.

So what would a 4x8 rigged out like this cost? I might be interested.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#5 Guest_EdBihary_*

Guest_EdBihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2009 - 11:24 AM

So what would a 4x8 rigged out like this cost? I might be interested.

A 4 x 4, too!

#6 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2009 - 10:52 PM

Negotiations on Moji Net fell through . Looks like the USA will never get to see the Miracle Mesh...ha ha!

What was the sticking point?

#7 Guest_blakemarkwell_*

Guest_blakemarkwell_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2009 - 11:24 PM

That definitely looks like a good quality seine to me, I too would be interested in purchasing one.

Blake

#8 Guest_netmaker_*

Guest_netmaker_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2009 - 11:35 PM

The 6' deep seines run about $15.00 a foot rigged like this.
A 4' net would be about $12.00 a foot.

Its really kind of spendy compared to what's available from the catalog companies.

The heavy duty materials are only part of the issue. The labor is what makes it spendy.
This little 12' x 6" took right at 4 hours to assemble fully.

They are good for really rough terain or folks who really beat their gear up. Otherwise, its more economical to shop the catalogs.

Greg

#9 Guest_netmaker_*

Guest_netmaker_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2009 - 11:41 PM

What was the sticking point?

24" deep mesh ONLY. This means sewing strips together. I did it already and it looks like crap.
If they make a change and manufacture a 48" deep mesh, I'll jump on it.
Cost is still high , but as you remember from the sample I sent you, it was almost indestructable.

Take care.

Greg

#10 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 May 2009 - 03:01 PM

Looks sweet to me.

Can you explain the mudline webbing footrope thing? I can't figure out from the picture what you have done there and why. I'm guessing that this is a feature that most other seines don't have?

#11 Guest_netmaker_*

Guest_netmaker_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 May 2009 - 10:34 PM

[attachment=8445:Mud_line...ide_view.jpg][attachment=8446:P0002244.JPG]

Looks sweet to me.

Can you explain the mudline webbing footrope thing? I can't figure out from the picture what you have done there and why. I'm guessing that this is a feature that most other seines don't have?

The Mud Line flattens out when being pulled . It helps keep the net from bogging down in the mud and detritus while making a wider "footprint" on the sediment, scaring more fish out of the pits, crevices and such.

No, its not usually sold with a regular collection seine. It was invented decades ago for use on these kind of Bad Boys ......... * Pixs shown*

Greg

#12 Guest_netmaker_*

Guest_netmaker_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 May 2009 - 09:31 AM

"...The 6' deep seines run about $15.00 a foot rigged like this.
A 4' net would be about $12.00 a foot....."

Correction:

These prices are for Pocket Seines with extra webbing that makes a Belly or Pocket in the center.

Straight type Collector Seines would be $9.75 a foot and they are 56" deep with all the added feeatures as shown above.

...about $30 difference than most on the internet.

I see the catalog folks sell theirs for about $49.00 8x 48" , a very good deal if you are not going to beat it up really hard . My stuff is for nasty,hard abuse by federal and state folks who sample in areas where most folks would avoid.

Just FYI as I wanted to make that distinction. The internet folks still have the absolute best pricing.

Greg

#13 Guest_Casper Cox_*

Guest_Casper Cox_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 May 2009 - 10:08 AM

Greg...
Thanks for donating one of your seines to the NANFA Florida auction / raffle.
I like your design as well. Looks like it would do the job.
I hope to see it in action one day.
Thanks again for your kind donation.
Casper

#14 Guest_netmaker_*

Guest_netmaker_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 May 2009 - 12:41 PM

Greg...
I like your design as well. Looks like it would do the job.
I hope to see it in action one day.
Thanks again for your kind donation.
Casper

Thank you for the opportunity to get more of our gear out there in the field.

I am still under the basic belief that Americans are looking for quality and Made in the USA products. Everywhere I see folks bombarded with "cost reduction ". In most cases this means a lesser product. From clothes pins to cans of soup, everybody seems to be Downsizing and/or Outsourcing the entire product.

My wife and I want to go the other direction entirely. None of our gear is the absolute best as there is always something out there that is better. We just put a lot into it and it-is-what-it-is. We are just a family business and a small one at that.

...and the fact that some of the big names in the fishing supply business often call us from time to time to inquire how we are doing, tells us we are on the right track.

Its Lunch time and there's fried chicken , sweet tea and boiled corn on the cob..........

Greg

#15 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 28 May 2009 - 07:53 PM

I should have read this better... but now I think I understand... this is going to be an auction item at the upcoming Florida convention!!?! I have to bring my checkbook!
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#16 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 May 2009 - 10:54 PM

24" deep mesh ONLY.

Oh. Yep :neutral:

#17 Guest_netmaker_*

Guest_netmaker_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 May 2009 - 11:21 PM

I should have read this better... but now I think I understand... this is going to be an auction item at the upcoming Florida convention!!?! I have to bring my checkbook!

There may be some mis -understanding here. This is the seine I donated for NANFA convention in Texas. A young mand from Wisconsin won it and said to wait until Spring to send it. I just wanted to verify with NANFA that I did send it and it was everything I said it was.

Now , when is the Florida convention?

Being as I am now in this awkward spot, I might just have to donate another one to save face.

SOMEONE CONTACT ME with the details and such.

Greg

#18 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 29 May 2009 - 08:35 AM

There may be some mis -understanding here. This is the seine I donated for NANFA convention in Texas. A young mand from Wisconsin won it and said to wait until Spring to send it. I just wanted to verify with NANFA that I did send it and it was everything I said it was.

Now , when is the Florida convention?

Being as I am now in this awkward spot, I might just have to donate another one to save face.

SOMEONE CONTACT ME with the details and such.

Greg

You got plenty of face around here... no need to save any... just a simple mis-understanding... you got me all excited... on the other hand, it would be cool to have another seine in the auction... particularly now that we see how nifty your hand made ones are...

And the Florida convention is on the BABFA website as being the first weekend of October this year.

#19 Guest_netmaker_*

Guest_netmaker_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2009 - 09:07 AM

You got plenty of face around here... no need to save any... just a simple mis-understanding... you got me all excited... on the other hand, it would be cool to have another seine in the auction... particularly now that we see how nifty your hand made ones are...

And the Florida convention is on the BABFA website as being the first weekend of October this year.

Dumb me, I can not find the BABFA site. Next question is who here at NANFA handles these donations and arrangements?

I am working with a NANFA member right now on some R&D on these seines to make them a tad bit more affordable and still keep a high level of Catchability. I DO NOT want to duplicate any of the standard lightweight seines being sold. Nothing bad, about what is on the market, They sell bunches of them. I just want to be sure and kick it up a few notches in sturdiness and the ability to drop down in those cracks and crevices that the standard seines seem to miss .

Yes, I'll donate one . Just hook me up with the right people here at NANFA as I will want to be better prepared this year and have the net on-site for display.

12x6x 1/8" with all the improvemnets and such.

...one more thing.........NEVER CALL A HIGH TECH NET GEAR "nifty" ......... Ha Ha Ha!

#20 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 29 May 2009 - 11:11 AM

Dumb me, I can not find the BABFA site. Next question is who here at NANFA handles these donations and arrangements?

WOW, look how close N and B are on the keyboard! (sorry 'bout that :blush: ). So far each convention has handled their own auction items... so I would assume that you could email Charlie Nunziata, the regional rep for Florida, who is I am sure involved with the convention preparations, and he can help you or point you in the right direction. Charlie is not on the forum much (or maybe at all).

Yes, I'll donate one . Just hook me up with the right people here at NANFA as I will want to be better prepared this year and have the net on-site for display.

Great News... I will make a bid on it at the convention... or two... or three...

...one more thing.........NEVER CALL A HIGH TECH NET GEAR "nifty" ......... Ha Ha Ha!

Yes, sir... high tech net geat (HTNG)... got it.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users