Rock Bass

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_fishkeeper1_*

Guest_fishkeeper1_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2009 - 11:00 PM

Have you ever kept rockbass or would think of selling some? Because I'm looking for some with little luck.

#2 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2009 - 07:01 AM

I have kept them in the past but have never bred them for sale. I don't have any plans at this time to breed them. Maybe I can give you some suggestions though on how to find some. Tell me about what you have tried so far and where you are trying. What part of the country are you located in?

#3 Guest_fishkeeper1_*

Guest_fishkeeper1_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2009 - 10:24 AM

in the Southeast in GA. I mostly try lakes and ponds and some rivers around my house with little luck. Would they be in rivers or smaller creeks? Theres one right behind my house but dont know where a rockbass would be in there.

#4 Guest_KPW_*

Guest_KPW_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2009 - 11:19 AM

fishkeeper1: You have to go to north GA for Rock Bass. Where you are, you have a more interesting (IMO) cousin, the Shadow Bass.

Later, KW

#5 Guest_KPW_*

Guest_KPW_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2009 - 03:37 PM

Sorry, I read your post as being in the southern part of GA.

Later, KW

#6 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2009 - 09:51 PM

KPW brings up a good point, it would matter what part of the state you live in as to whether you have rock bass or shadow bass around. I would also agree with him that shadow bass are a more interesting and in my opinion better suited to aquarium life. I do have one shadow bass right now and I did not have trouble converting him to pellets, something I have never accomplished with a rock bass. So I guess give me some more detail on your location (maybe a county or even better drainage basin) and I should be able to help further. Regardless of which one is in your area they are more commonly found in streams or rivers or in pools near rocks or other cover.

#7 Guest_jimjim_*

Guest_jimjim_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2009 - 01:33 PM

Fishkeeper; If a 3" Warmouth that will eat out of your hand will do, I'll give you one. They're the chamilions (?) of fish. Just PM me...Jim

#8 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2009 - 10:17 PM

Fishkeeper I suggest you take Jimjim up on his offer, warmouth make great aquarium fish and adjust easier to tank life than rock or shadow bass. Sounds like he already has this one well adjusted to captivity as well.

#9 Guest_Gambusia_*

Guest_Gambusia_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2009 - 08:58 PM

Rock bass are practically non existant in Georgia

#10 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 June 2009 - 02:55 PM

I caught 1 rock bass in GA on one of my trips down there in the Little TN river just south of the state line.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users