Post your state maximum seine length and height

24 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Uland_*

Guest_Uland_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2009 - 08:09 PM

I thought this would be a nice easy reference topic.

I'll start

Illinois: 6' deep X 20' wide and 1/2" mesh maximum.

What does your state allow?

#2 Guest_Gambusia_*

Guest_Gambusia_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2009 - 08:42 PM

2. A seine not greater than 12 feet in length with a bar mesh
measure of not more than 1/4 inch.

Exception: In LakeWaccamaw any length seine may be used
to collect bait fishes.

North Carolina

#3 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2009 - 08:50 PM

I don't know the mesh limit, but Alabama has a limit of 10 feet long by 4 feet deep.

#4 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2009 - 09:02 PM

Ohio is 8' wide by 4' high, 1/2" mesh.

Lake Erie waters in Ohio are as much 1/2" or smaller mesh as you care to pull.

Todd

Edited by farmertodd, 29 May 2009 - 09:04 PM.

#5 Guest_Uland_*

Guest_Uland_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2009 - 09:14 PM

Bruce, I was sure Alabama allowed 25'x 4' seines. Do you know when they changed it?

#6 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2009 - 09:58 PM

I'm impressed, the state law does indeed allow a 25 foot seine, under section 220-2-.39 in the Alabama Regulations, 2008-2009. I'd heard the 10 foot limit from a guy working in a fishing tackle store years ago and took it for true. The regulation doesn't state any mesh regulation.

Alabama generally has very relaxed laws, except when they're very restrictive.

#7 Guest_PhilipKukulski_*

Guest_PhilipKukulski_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2009 - 10:15 PM

http://www.michigan....ds_272056_7.pdf

"Seines must not be over 12 feet by 4 feet;"

BUT

"It Is Unlawful To: <clip>
Use a seine for any species other than minnows."

"Seines may only be used for minnows except under a scientific collector’s
permit issued by the DNR."

AND

"Minnows are chubs, shiners, dace, stonerollers, sculpins
(muddlers), mudminnows and suckers of a size used for bait in
“hook and line” fishing."

As Bob Muller likes to say 1) "A Fathead Minnow is not a minnow in Michigan."
2) Darters and killies need to be caught on hook and line.

I have a slide about the United States and fishing laws in my native fish program. Each state has its own laws. I give examples of different legal lengths in MI, PA, AL, AR, OH.

Edited by PhilipKukulski, 29 May 2009 - 10:19 PM.

#8 Guest_keepnatives_*

Guest_keepnatives_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2009 - 10:45 PM

New York

max seine size is 36 square feet and can be used sunrise to sunset in all non-trout waters and anytime in Lakes Erie and Ontario (excluding their inlets, outlets and bays), Niagara River and Hudson River below Troy dam.

#9 Guest_smilingfrog_*

Guest_smilingfrog_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2009 - 01:58 AM

In Minnesota:

"Seines may not be over 25 feet long or more than 148 meshes deep with 1/4-inch bar measure, or more than 197 meshes deep with 3/16-inch bar measure."

I wish they would just say how many feet deep. Doing the math that only comes out to 37 inches, though I suppose the thickness of the material between the holes gives it some extra height. Not exactly familiar with what bar measure means.

#10 Guest_Gene2308_*

Guest_Gene2308_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2009 - 07:22 AM

Virginia:

seine net not larger than - 10' X 4'

umbrella net not larger than - 5' X 5'

handheld nets not larger than - 8' long with not larger than a 20" dia (the net part)

minnow trap with opening not larger than - 1"

#11 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 30 May 2009 - 07:31 AM

Georgia (from georgiawildlife.dnr.state.ga.us):
Seines & Cast Nets:
  • Only nongame fish, except American eels and protected species, less than five (5) inches in length may be taken using a minnow seine. These fish cannot be sold or otherwise used for commercial purposes.
  • All game fish and American eels taken in minnow seines must be released immediately and unharmed.
  • A minnow seine must be less than 20 feet long and have a square mesh of 3/8 inch or less (square or in diameter).
  • Minnow seines may not be used in designated trout waters.
  • Dip nets and cast nets may be used to take threadfin shad, gizzard shad, and blueback herring for bait, except in state park lakes.

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#12 Guest_harryknaub_*

Guest_harryknaub_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2009 - 01:17 PM

The last time that I looked it up PA is restricted to a 4X4 seine. I wonder why we are restricted to such a small size.

Harry Knaub

#13 Guest_Clayton_*

Guest_Clayton_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 May 2009 - 02:00 PM

Indiana

Seines cannot be larger than 12 feet in length and 4 feet deep with mesh no larger than ˝ inch stretch.

#14 Guest_panfisherteen_*

Guest_panfisherteen_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 May 2009 - 05:16 PM

Ontario: Seine nets cannot be used to collect baitfish (some areas allow seining for certain species like smelt)

#15 Guest_netmaker_*

Guest_netmaker_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 May 2009 - 07:41 PM

quote name='smilingfrog' date='May 30 2009, 01:58 AM' post='59558']
In Minnesota:

"Seines may not be over 25 feet long or more than 148 meshes deep with 1/4-inch bar measure, or more than 197 meshes deep with 3/16-inch bar measure."

I wish they would just say how many feet deep. Doing the math that only comes out to 37 inches, though I suppose the thickness of the material between the holes gives it some extra height. Not exactly familiar with what bar measure means.
[/quote]

THE BAR MEASURE IS ONE SIDE OF A DIAMOND SHAPED MESH.

Trouble in your Collection gear is that some raschel (knotless netting) looks like squares, octagons, pentagons, squared outer shape but with a round hole at center. In other words, somebody wrote this law who did NOT know that netting comes in many shapes that can not just be divided by 2.

Greg

#16 Guest_netmaker_*

Guest_netmaker_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 May 2009 - 07:51 PM

[attachment=8479:pics_of_..._knotted.doc]

All of these are knotless nettings used in sampling , except the last pix which is of a heavier netting used in catfish farming.

Except for the last picture, you could argue a "bar" measurement in several ways.

Netting generally comes in runs of 100 md (mesh deep)
100,200,300,400 and .......... 800 being about tops on the anchovy machines.....I believe.

Where did the Minn. DNR come up with 197md ?

Anyway, its too cold up there to get in the water. That's why you all have them fine looking Ice Fishing huts that I am dying to try out one day.

Greg
FYI

Greg

#17 Guest_smilingfrog_*

Guest_smilingfrog_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2009 - 03:39 AM

[attachment=8479:pics_of_..._knotted.doc]

All of these are knotless nettings used in sampling , except the last pix which is of a heavier netting used in catfish farming.

Except for the last picture, you could argue a "bar" measurement in several ways.

Netting generally comes in runs of 100 md (mesh deep)
100,200,300,400 and .......... 800 being about tops on the anchovy machines.....I believe.

Where did the Minn. DNR come up with 197md ?

Anyway, its too cold up there to get in the water. That's why you all have them fine looking Ice Fishing huts that I am dying to try out one day.

Greg
FYI

Greg

No idea where they came up with the numbers. I'll have to ask a friend of mine who works for the DNR next time I see him. That's why I wish they'ed just say 4 feet or 3 feet or 3 feet 7 and 3/8 inches; or whatever other number they want us to use. :biggrin: Something that could be checked it with a tape measure. Of course this way a gamewarden is probably not very likely to actually check either...... "I'm counting 198 meshes there son." [-X
I've got a little ice fishing tent I bought a couple years back, but I've not yet tried the houses. Some of those things get pretty elaborate. One of these winters I'll have to rent one for a weekend and give it a try.

#18 Guest_netmaker_*

Guest_netmaker_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2009 - 07:24 AM

Well, the only ticket I ever got from a game warden was a state guy who stopped us one day. ( 1980's) . He was at the boat launch and checked our catch. After an exhaustive search of the boat, my truck , calling in the numbers on my pistol, everything......he saw i was totally legal. I was getting ready to leave when he pulled out a 12 inch wooden ruler, stuck it to the side of my boat and said, "the numbers on your boat are 3-7/8" high....they should be 4" by law."

$125 Improperly marked vessel.

Yes, I can see a lot of trouble for your home folks with this collector seine law ...........if you run into someone that wants to be really picky.

Greg

#19 Guest_smilingfrog_*

Guest_smilingfrog_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2009 - 12:55 AM

Well, the only ticket I ever got from a game warden was a state guy who stopped us one day. ( 1980's) . He was at the boat launch and checked our catch. After an exhaustive search of the boat, my truck , calling in the numbers on my pistol, everything......he saw i was totally legal. I was getting ready to leave when he pulled out a 12 inch wooden ruler, stuck it to the side of my boat and said, "the numbers on your boat are 3-7/8" high....they should be 4" by law."

$125 Improperly marked vessel.

Greg

Ouch. With my icefishing tent, I have to have my name and address displayed on the outside in letters and numbers at least 2 inches high. There is a clear pocket built onto the door for displaying such things, I wrote it all down on a sheet of paper that I stick inside. At 2 inches high, I had to make the letters pretty skinny and close together, but I was thinking about that very type of situation, so I made sure they were all at least 2 inches high.
I was just thinking (working in quality control we make such distinctions) you should have asked if the law said 4 inches or 4.0 inches. :D

Edited by smilingfrog, 12 June 2009 - 01:01 AM.

#20 Guest_dmarkley_*

Guest_dmarkley_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2009 - 07:09 AM

The last time that I looked it up PA is restricted to a 4X4 seine. I wonder why we are restricted to such a small size.

Harry Knaub

Harry, my suspicion is that the PA Fish & Boat Commission is worried bigger seines would be used to harvest all those non-native trout that get dumped in the streams! LOL

Dean

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users