8 foot long stream tank under construction

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 December 2006 - 09:40 PM

Started on this yesterday. 8 foot long, 2 foot wide 16 inches deep. This shall be a riffle tank. It is glued, screwed, and the two long seams have fiberglass matting and resin on them, tomorrow, I will do the rest of the seams. I plan to paint the entire tank black. The front will have an 8 foot by 1 foot long viewing window.

Attached Files

#2 Guest_sandtiger_*

Guest_sandtiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 December 2006 - 09:54 PM

Very impressive. What do you plan to stock it with? Smaller stream fishes of some larger ones?

#3 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 December 2006 - 10:16 PM

Very impressive. What do you plan to stock it with? Smaller stream fishes of some larger ones?

Small stream fish primarily darters.

#4 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 December 2006 - 11:48 PM

Good deal - I have something similar planned for phase 3 of my outdoor pond...

#5 Guest_chad55_*

Guest_chad55_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 December 2006 - 12:24 AM

I really want to do something like that in my basement just more intricate with like twists turns and water falls. I think that will be awsome when done.

Chad

#6 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 December 2006 - 12:27 AM

I really want to do something like that in my basement just more intricate with like twists turns and water falls. I think that will be awsome when done.

Chad

Me too, but that would mean more money, which means I have to work more, which means less time to do what I want, you see the dilemma.

#7 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 December 2006 - 11:54 AM

The front will have an 8 foot by 1 foot long viewing window.

How much did that piece of glass set you back?

That plywood looks like what - 3/4" BC? Nothing too pricey there. Nice tank on the cheap.

#8 Guest_chad55_*

Guest_chad55_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 December 2006 - 04:39 PM

Me too, but that would mean more money, which means I have to work more, which means less time to do what I want, you see the dilemma.

Yea and that is why I haven't done it...Hahaha. Even though I am only 16 mommy and daddy don't pay for a thing in my hobby, it's all me. Anyways I wouldn't even know where to start :roll: . You should use canister filtration on it and create a nice little water fall on on end flowing into it. Or make your own filter. That would be cool. Maybe do a little tiny pool to at the top of the waterfall to keep some dwarf sunnies or something random like that....Uh oh I am starting to measure things up in my head for one! ](*,)

Chad

#9 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 December 2006 - 04:56 PM

Hey Skipjack, what's that big blue thing off to the right in the photo? How big is that?

#10 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 December 2006 - 05:13 PM

Hey Skipjack, what's that big blue thing off to the right in the photo? How big is that?

a fish pond... and it is BIG! I don't know how he keeps up with all his water changes without a central system.

#11 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 December 2006 - 05:24 PM

Isn't that where he breeds hubbsi?

#12 Guest_chad55_*

Guest_chad55_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 December 2006 - 06:44 PM

Looks like one of those 6' diameter 350 gallon tubs.

Chad

#13 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 December 2006 - 09:54 PM

Cost:
2 sheets 3/4 Bc ply $50
1 gallon fiberglass resin $30
5 fiber blankets $25
screws and glue $10
Glass $60
Silicone $10
Total to make a useable tank $185.
Upgrades I am adding Black interior marine epoxy $60
Aluminum angle top support, could use plywood $40
Without my upgrades, roughly a buck a gallon. Could probably find a used tank for a similar price, but the dimensions on this tank are key.
I am not sure that this is better than buying a tank, as I am so stoned from epoxy resin right now that I really can't think too straight. I am sure that the larger the tank size, the more cost effective it becomes.
But nonetheless, I wanted to build one.
I am so impressed with this fiberglass resin that I am sure this tank, as long as it is not moved, will last a lifetime. Moving it could potentially cause fractures in the joints, though not likely.
With luck, I should have water in it within two weeks.

#14 Guest_NateTessler13_*

Guest_NateTessler13_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2006 - 10:23 AM

I am so stoned from epoxy resin right now that I really can't think too straight.

Haha. That probably occurred before the work on the tank began.

#15 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 December 2006 - 05:23 PM

Update.

Attached Files

#16 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 December 2006 - 05:40 PM

Irate, that is a poly tank that is roughly 700 gallons. Right now it houses about 35 eight inch bowfin.

#17 Guest_chad55_*

Guest_chad55_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 December 2006 - 06:17 PM

That is going to be sooo nice. I cannot wait to see it all setup. I am looking forward to see what kind of fish and or breeding projects you got in store for this! Oh yea and how about some pics of the pond and bowfins. That would be cool. I always love seeing pond pics.

Chad

#18 Guest_Gambusia_*

Guest_Gambusia_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 December 2006 - 08:38 PM

How much would something like that 700 gallon polytank cost?

Thanks

#19 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 December 2006 - 08:50 PM

How much would something like that 700 gallon polytank cost?

Thanks

Well they are free to dumpster divers like myself, but retail, about $500 I believe.

#20 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 December 2006 - 06:26 PM

Well they are free to dumpster divers like myself, but retail, about $500 I believe.

Ha! I'd like to find THAT in a dumpster! When they built the new Museum of Natural Science here in MS, they put all of their old display tanks in storage. Some of those tanks housed alligator gar, etc. - in other words, they were BIG. I asked about purchasing some of their "junk". Turns out you have to bid for it and they weren't interested in setting up an auction. So there the stuff sits, year after year, benefiting nobody.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users