Central and eastern mudminnows in the same tank?

4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_dafrimpster_*

Guest_dafrimpster_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2009 - 11:03 PM

Has anyone kept central and eastern mudminnows together?

#2 Guest_schambers_*

Guest_schambers_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 June 2009 - 10:19 AM

I did, there wasn't any trouble. Well, the stonecat eating them was a problem, but there wasn't any trouble between the mudminnows. #-o

#3 Guest_dafrimpster_*

Guest_dafrimpster_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 June 2009 - 10:48 AM

I purchased 6 easterns to go into my 75g and they are doing fantastic. There are also three 2inch Lepomis megalotis in the 75g. I had also placed a one dollar bid on three centrals and never gave it another thought. It turns out I won the auction. I have other tanks I can put them in but with the easterns doing so well in the 75g I thought it would be a good home for the centrals. I will post any interesting observations about the mix. Thanks for your input.

#4 Guest_choupique_*

Guest_choupique_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 June 2009 - 09:59 AM

They are fine together. It is interesting to see the contrast between the two. This is a good way to train the eye with whatever fish that has similar species. Seeing them side by side everyday, in different moods and different situtations. I had never noticed any real difference in how the two species acted, just how they looked. Any observations to the contrary, I would be interested in reading here. I would think there has to be something.

For example. Okeefenokee and Everglades pygmy sunfish are similar and live in similar habitats. I have noticed they act the same for the most part, but have some things that each does more often than the other and you could tell them apart just by watching their habits.

#5 Guest_dafrimpster_*

Guest_dafrimpster_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 June 2009 - 01:29 PM

Both the centrals and the eastern mudminnows are doing great. The largest longear tries to intimidate then sometimes but they just stand their ground and he backs off. They are definitely interesting to watch.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users