Bluefin Killies

6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Eyebiter_*

Guest_Eyebiter_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 December 2006 - 10:32 AM

I have a pair of Bluefin Killies (Lucania goodei). Does anyone have any insight to breeding or any special needs they may have. Right now they're in a 55 gal planted tank with a few Amazonian fish. I didn't know what they were when I got them. I just knew they weren't rosey barbs...stupid Petco. Everyone knows "rosey barbs" don't come in with ghost shrimp. :)

Thanks in advance.

#2 Guest_choupique_*

Guest_choupique_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 December 2006 - 01:30 AM

Hmmmm. I have never kept blues in a tank that large. However, I dump a dozen or so in my large ponds and usually in fall will have several hundred young. They seem to have no problems finding each other.

I have bred them indoors. I used a two gallon tank, with a bunch of mops, covering the bottom some three inches deep. The eggs were tiny, but hatched well.

I have also had them spawn in 15 gallon tanks thick with plants and some gravel on the bottom. However, I did not find any fry until the larger fish were removed from the tank. I am guessing in these cases the adults ate the young, and the ones I found were eggs not hatched until after the adults were removed.

#3 Guest_Gambusia_*

Guest_Gambusia_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 December 2006 - 08:54 PM

Keep them in a tank with just bluefin killies.

They make a great small fish for planted patio ponds and containers.

Also make sure your tank is planted.

They like plants.

#4 Guest_dsmith73_*

Guest_dsmith73_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 December 2006 - 09:18 PM

The best way to keep bluefins is in a small species only tank. A ten gallon would work well but a 5 or smaller would be even better. Pack it with java moss or java fern, or some other fine leaved plant and feed small live foods, such as blackworms, mosquito larvae and daphnia. Filtration should be minimal. A slow bubbling sponge filter would work best. I would avoid any of the power filters as these just move the water too much. This is a sure fired way to get these fish to spawn and is a great way to maintain them as well.

#5 Guest_fisgokie_*

Guest_fisgokie_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 December 2006 - 05:36 PM

Hmmmm. I have never kept blues in a tank that large. However, I dump a dozen or so in my large ponds and usually in fall will have several hundred young. They seem to have no problems finding each other.

I have bred them indoors. I used a two gallon tank, with a bunch of mops, covering the bottom some three inches deep. The eggs were tiny, but hatched well.

I have also had them spawn in 15 gallon tanks thick with plants and some gravel on the bottom. However, I did not find any fry until the larger fish were removed from the tank. I am guessing in these cases the adults ate the young, and the ones I found were eggs not hatched until after the adults were removed.

[size=7][color=#CC0000]Hey man is there anyway i could get 2 females and a male? i got a female on accident from walmart... and i want more

#6 Guest_XBurgos_*

Guest_XBurgos_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 December 2006 - 11:04 AM

[size=7][color=#CC0000]Hey man is there anyway i could get 2 females and a male? i got a female on accident from walmart... and i want more

I read your thread about the Wall Mart thing. I need to see if I can get some too.
Please. I have a 2.5 gal all glass redy for them.

#7 Guest_fisgokie_*

Guest_fisgokie_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2007 - 01:09 PM

yeah i got them in a 20 gallon tank right now 6 of them...if you still need some ill look into it this weekend my lfs normally gets them all the time...we will work out the funds or a trad if you can get me some java moss and ferns ill trade ya as much as i can find

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users