Can anyone collect during the week?

7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Duckman77_*

Guest_Duckman77_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 June 2009 - 08:06 PM

I'd like to get out to the Vermillion river near Starved Rock State park in Utica, IL. My weekends are usually tied up, but I can get out just about any day during the week. I need another person to work the other side of the seine. If you're interested, please let me know. :)

#2 Guest_JohnT_*

Guest_JohnT_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 June 2009 - 08:26 PM

Can you collect fish in Illinois? I pass through every now and then but I thought it wasn't allowed.

#3 Guest_Duckman77_*

Guest_Duckman77_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 June 2009 - 10:09 AM

Some restrictions on net size, but if you have a fishing license: Yes you can!

#4 Guest_Uland_*

Guest_Uland_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 June 2009 - 11:38 AM

Golly Jeremy and John, I'm not sure what to say. I see the regulations clearly state that no live fish of any sort may be transported from the waters of which they are taken.
I understand the reason for the law but wish there could be an exception for our activities.
What are you seeing that I'm not Jeremy?

#5 Guest_Duckman77_*

Guest_Duckman77_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 June 2009 - 04:08 PM

The part about VHS and capturing minnows that are not intended as bait is rather vague. Also many species are not listed as VHS susceptible (including the ones I'm after). I'm not sure the state is concerned with taking fish for the home aquarium. I guess I will settle it once and for all and talk to a conservation officer.

#6 Guest_Uland_*

Guest_Uland_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2009 - 11:43 AM

The part about VHS and capturing minnows that are not intended as bait is rather vague. Also many species are not listed as VHS susceptible (including the ones I'm after). I'm not sure the state is concerned with taking fish for the home aquarium. I guess I will settle it once and for all and talk to a conservation officer.

Duckman,

What did the DNR have to say? It would be great if they saw our activities as acceptable. Do you have good news for us?

#7 Guest_Clayton_*

Guest_Clayton_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2009 - 03:49 PM

More importantly did you talk to a conservation officer that was actually able to give you correct information? Having one say it's okay, and then another hit you with a huge ticket and take your collecting gear would be rather frustrating.

#8 Guest_Duckman77_*

Guest_Duckman77_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 July 2009 - 04:14 PM

This is copied and pasted from the 2009 Illinois Fishing Digest (including the 2009 fishing regulations):

page 2:

BAIT FISHING
A sport fishing license permits the use of legalsized
cast nets, shad scoops, minnow traps
and minnow seines to obtain shad, alewife,
minnows and crayfish to use as bait, provided
they are not sold or are not identified as threatened
or endangered aquatic life. All cast nets
shall be not larger than 8 feet in diameter or of
a mesh size not larger than 3/8 inch bar measurement.
All shad scoops shall be not larger
than 30 inches in diameter or of a mesh size
not larger than 1/2 inch bar measurement or
longer than 4 feet in length. Minnow seines
shall not be longer than 20 feet, deeper than 6
feet or contain mesh size larger than 1/2 inch
bar measurement. Minnow traps shall not be
longer than 36 inches, nor wider than 24 inches,
nor use mesh larger than 1/2 inch bar measurement.
Minnows and crayfish may be collected with
traps of metal screen or hardware cloth, plastic,
or nylon mesh or netting. Such traps may not
be more than 24 inches in width or diameter or
more than 36 inches in length nor use a mesh
of more than 1/2 inch bar measurement. Each
entrance aperture may not exceed 1.5 inches in
diameter. If unattended, such devices must be
tagged with the name and mailing address of
the person operating the device. Minnows and
crayfish collected in such devices may only be
taken for personal use and may not be sold or
bartered.

page 4:

MINNOWS
A minnow is statutorily defined as any fish in
the minnow family (Cyprinidae) except carp
and goldfish.
Persons possessing a valid sport fishing
license may take minnows with cast nets (not
larger than 8 feet in diameter and having a
mesh size not larger than 3/8 inch bar measurement),
shad scoops (not larger than 30
inches in diameter or longer than 4 feet in
length and having a bar mesh size not larger
than 1/2 inch), or a minnow seine (no longer
than 20 feet in length, deeper than 6 feet or
having a mesh size larger than 1/2 inch bar
measurement), or a trap not more than 36
inches in length, 24 inches in width, and with
mesh no larger than 1/2 inch bar measurement.

Let me also say that I read through the digest pretty carefully and I saw NOTHING on VHS emergency regulations. However the IDNR website (fishing link) has a release from July 2, 2008 on Emergency VHS regulations. Here is the link: http://www.dnr.state...y/vhsvirus.html

I sent an email through the IDNR website asking to speak with a conservation officer about fishing regulations.
I was sent this number:(217) 782-6431

I believe the 217 is a Springfield number. I called this number at 3:30 today and spoke with IDNR Law Enforcement Officer Danner (spelling?). I explained to him that in the past I have seined and dipnetted minnows and kept them in classroom aquariums. I mentioned that according to the 2009 Fishing Digest it is legal to do so. I said I was concerned about whether or not the VHS regulations would make collecting illegal. He got on the website along with me. I showed him that the species I was interested in were in the family Cyprinidae and not on the VHS susceptable list. He said "Well then you should be fine". I then directed him to the first bullet above the VHS susceptable list "Use of wild-trapped fishes from within the state as bait will be restricted to the waters where legally captured. " I asked if this part of the release would affect a fisherman that wanted to keep species caught with legal devises in home aquaria. He said after some careful reading "You should be alright". I asked "so I would be legal in keeping these fish?". He responded "yes"

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users