where to get sheepshead minnows

12 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Tropicalfishauction_*

Guest_Tropicalfishauction_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 July 2009 - 04:29 PM

Hey guys where can I get some sheepshead minnows Iam in brooklyn N.Y. any place close?

Edited by Tropicalfishauction, 01 July 2009 - 04:29 PM.

#2 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 July 2009 - 05:20 PM

Pretty much the whole coast of Long Island (or Jersey), in areas with salt marshes. I'd guess you don't have to go as far as the Hamptons to find sheepsheads.

#3 Guest_Tropicalfishauction_*

• Guests

Posted 01 July 2009 - 06:17 PM

Pretty much the whole coast of Long Island (or Jersey), in areas with salt marshes. I'd guess you don't have to go as far as the Hamptons to find sheepsheads.

I need a specific location like in long island or so. I have not seen any Iam just getting the other minnows (killifish). and not seeing the sheepshead at all.

#4 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 July 2009 - 08:28 PM

Anywhere you catch mummichogs, you should find sheepsheads. Good areas are where shallow tidal creeks run into bays on the edge of Spartina grasses. Small sheepsheads are often packed into shallow pools on the surface of a salt marsh. Traveling across a salt marsh can be an adventure with stepping into hidden mud holes or just plain stinking soft mud. Minnow traps usually work well, too, with less mud-jumping involved, just leave them in a tidal creek over a tidal cycle (with a tether). Last time I caught them on LI was in an anonymous roadside ditch near Far Rockaway (that didn't seem to have too much septic tank overflow in it).

#5 Guest_Tropicalfishauction_*

• Guests

Posted 01 July 2009 - 10:31 PM

Anywhere you catch mummichogs, you should find sheepsheads. Good areas are where shallow tidal creeks run into bays on the edge of Spartina grasses. Small sheepsheads are often packed into shallow pools on the surface of a salt marsh. Traveling across a salt marsh can be an adventure with stepping into hidden mud holes or just plain stinking soft mud. Minnow traps usually work well, too, with less mud-jumping involved, just leave them in a tidal creek over a tidal cycle (with a tether). Last time I caught them on LI was in an anonymous roadside ditch near Far Rockaway (that didn't seem to have too much septic tank overflow in it).

Thank you for the info iam going to check tommorow morning. So far I have mummichogs and banned.

#6 Guest_Tropicalfishauction_*

• Guests

Posted 03 July 2009 - 05:23 PM

I checked all over the marsh in plum beach could not find any there.

#7 Guest_mikez_*

Guest_mikez_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 July 2009 - 09:10 PM

Try getting closer to the saltier part of the marsh. An inlet connecting marsh to sound with current and some shallow sand flats is good. I don't know NY but across the sound in RI I find them in such places.
You have to look sharp. sometimes schools of mummies, striped killies and rainwaters are so thick you don't notice the small school of sheepshead mixed in. Of course I guess a seine would sort 'em all out.
Sheepshead look chubby compared to the other killies seen from above. They also school tighter, especially in the presence of predators. They sometimes just light on the bottom and perch there for awhile which the other killies don't do as often.

Edited to add: Just looked at sat map - check out Gerritson Creek - some sweet looking habitat for being in the city.

Edited by mikez, 10 July 2009 - 09:15 PM.

#8 Guest_leviathan0_*

Guest_leviathan0_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 July 2009 - 01:57 AM

Gerritsen Creek is a nice place. Against the law to remove wildlife there though, so don't try it.

#9 Guest_mikez_*

Guest_mikez_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 July 2009 - 08:13 PM

Gerritsen Creek is a nice place. Against the law to remove wildlife there though, so don't try it.

Is fishing illegal? Sheepshead are usually considered baitfish.

#10 Guest_leviathan0_*

Guest_leviathan0_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 July 2009 - 02:05 AM

Not sure to be honest, I haven't been there in awhile and don't really remember all their rules. I do know the entire marsh is one of the fifty-something sites in NYC protected under the Forever Wild program.. of course, I don't know what all their rules are either..

It would be a good idea to check and make sure though, I hear the park rangers, Coast Guard and NYPD are all stepping up their patrols because of all the environmental abuse that area takes, and you wouldn't want to be caught accidentally doing something illegal.

#11 Guest_Jan_*

Guest_Jan_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 September 2009 - 08:24 PM

Hello,
You might want to try the brackish portions of the Peconic River, in Riverhead re: SHEEPSHEADS.
I recall observing them there.
= Jan

#12 Guest_PhilipKukulski_*

Guest_PhilipKukulski_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 September 2009 - 04:52 AM

You are guaranteed to get some Sheepshead Minnows
at the NANFA 2009 Convention.

#13 Guest_Mysteryman_*

Guest_Mysteryman_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 September 2009 - 09:05 AM

That's for sure! You'll be cursing the little guys before it's over for getting all in your way.

Oh! Try looking for some bright metallic blue & orange flashes in the water. Sheepshead males are very easy to spot when the sunlight hits them at the right angle. Again, try the saltier spots which they prefer, and you can even try the briny puddles you see on sandbars where you'd never expect fish to survive. Sheepsheads survive in very, very hot & salty water where little else does, and scooping them up in these puddles is very easy.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users