Sea Trout in North Carolina?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_NateTessler13_*

Guest_NateTessler13_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 July 2009 - 06:49 PM

Hi everybody,
I'm out at the Outer Banks in North Carolina. I was seining through some Valsineria sp. in some shallow water when I caught this fish:
Posted Image
Posted Image
The fish is obviously a juvenile. It was caught in the Currituck Sound in Duck, NC. I'm thinking it's one of the area's many Sea Trout species. Can anyone ID this one?

Thanks in advance!

#2 Guest_Gambusia_*

Guest_Gambusia_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 July 2009 - 08:28 PM

Most sea trout I encounter here in NC are speckled sea trout-spotted trout.

#3 Guest_NateTessler13_*

Guest_NateTessler13_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 July 2009 - 10:05 PM

Hmmm...I'm not sure I can confidently say it's one of those.

#4 Guest_fritz_*

Guest_fritz_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 July 2009 - 05:41 PM

Hi everybody,
I'm out at the Outer Banks in North Carolina. I was seining through some Valsineria sp. in some shallow water when I caught this fish:
Posted Image
Posted Image
The fish is obviously a juvenile. It was caught in the Currituck Sound in Duck, NC. I'm thinking it's one of the area's many Sea Trout species. Can anyone ID this one?

Thanks in advance!

#5 Guest_fritz_*

Guest_fritz_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 July 2009 - 05:45 PM

Since I am the self-proclaimed expert on NC fishes, it can be embarrassing to have to guess at a species ID. Your fish is definintely not a the weakfish (grey trout) but as mentioned earlier most likely the spotted seatrout (speckled trout) which uses the marine eelgrasses as a nursery area (not Vallisneria).

quiet ps: the Marine Patrol probably would not recognize it, but the species does have a 12" minimum size limit.

#6 Guest_NateTessler13_*

Guest_NateTessler13_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 July 2009 - 06:10 PM

Since I am the self-proclaimed expert on NC fishes, it can be embarrassing to have to guess at a species ID. Your fish is definintely not a the weakfish (grey trout) but as mentioned earlier most likely the spotted seatrout (speckled trout) which uses the marine eelgrasses as a nursery area (not Vallisneria).

quiet ps: the Marine Patrol probably would not recognize it, but the species does have a 12" minimum size limit.

Thank you very much for the ID. It was photo'd and released promptly. I'm only keeping the Mullet for bait.

#7 Guest_NateTessler13_*

Guest_NateTessler13_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 July 2009 - 06:27 PM

Just because I'm at my computer, here's something we caught in our crab trap this evening...

Posted Image

A Southern Flounder, I believe.

#8 Guest_NateTessler13_*

Guest_NateTessler13_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 July 2009 - 07:52 PM

Got this one yesterday. I'm pretty sure it's a Halfbeak, but not sure which species...

Posted Image

Any thoughts?

#9 Guest_schambers_*

Guest_schambers_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 July 2009 - 09:45 PM

I can't identify it, but I can see why you say halfbeak. Some of the halfbeaks are stick thin like your fish. However, the ones I have the upper part of the mouth is only half as long as the bottom. I have Nomorhamphus ebrardtii and Nomorhamphus liemi. The ebrardtii are really silly looking with a large piece of food in their mouth, because the upper part of the mouth sticks straight up. Your fish has a whole 'beak'. I bet it's a relative, or at least convergent evolution.

#10 Guest_fritz_*

Guest_fritz_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2009 - 07:14 AM

Got this one yesterday. I'm pretty sure it's a Halfbeak, but not sure which species...

Posted Image

Any thoughts?

Atlantic needlefish

#11 Guest_fritz_*

Guest_fritz_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2009 - 07:17 AM

Just because I'm at my computer, here's something we caught in our crab trap this evening...

Posted Image

A Southern Flounder, I believe.

Its got the patterns of both summer and Gulf flounders but I don't see any ocellated spots that those 2 have. Best way is to count gill rakers if you aren't sure.

#12 Guest_NateTessler13_*

Guest_NateTessler13_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2009 - 07:24 AM

Atlantic needlefish

Thank you. I've got to ask, is this one also an Atlantic Needlefish then? Just seems to have a different proportion to its beak.

Posted Image

#13 Guest_fritz_*

Guest_fritz_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2009 - 04:39 PM

in my opinion, yes they are both needlefish. first one ran into a wall.

#14 Guest_NateTessler13_*

Guest_NateTessler13_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2009 - 09:53 AM

Alright, I'm going to give it a go-through of all the fish I caught and photographed while in Duck, NC. I'm going to post a picture along with what I've ID'ed them as. I'm posting this because I'm not 100% sure on some of these ID's. Any help would be very much appreciated!

1.) White Mullet (Mugil curema)
Posted Image

2.) Atlantic Needlefish (Strongylura marina)
Posted Image

3.) Southern Flounder (Paralichthys dentatus)
Posted Image

4.) Pinfish (Lagodon rhomboides)
Posted Image

5.) Spot (Leiostomus xanthurus)
Posted Image

6.) Northern Pipefish (Sygnathus fuscus)
Posted Image

7.) Rainwater Killifish (Luciana parva)
Posted Image

Actually, I've got quite a few more pictures that I need to upload, but they're not done being edited yet. Any confirmations of these ID's, or criticisms are much welcomed. Thanks! :smile2:

#15 Guest_fritz_*

Guest_fritz_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2009 - 01:26 PM

right species name for the flounder but common name is summer flounder. Based on snout length, I'm fairly certain that the pipefish is S. louisianae, chain pipefish

#16 Guest_NateTessler13_*

Guest_NateTessler13_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2009 - 04:37 PM

right species name for the flounder but common name is summer flounder. Based on snout length, I'm fairly certain that the pipefish is S. louisianae, chain pipefish

Ah, I see. Do I then have 2 different species of Pipefish here?

1st...same as the whole fish pictured above:
Posted Image

And another one, of equal size caught a different day:
Posted Image

#17 Guest_fritz_*

Guest_fritz_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 July 2009 - 09:18 AM

Yep. the second is most likely the northern, S. fuscus.

#18 Guest_NateTessler13_*

Guest_NateTessler13_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 July 2009 - 10:23 AM

Alright then, last batch.

1.) Bay Anchovy (Anchoa mitchilli)
Posted Image

2.) Eastern Banded Killifish (Fundulus diaphanus diaphanus)
Posted Image

3.) Atlantic Menhaden (Brevoortia tyrannus)...I originally had them labeled as Gulf Menhaden because I didn't even know Atlantic Menhaden existed until seeing a post elsewhere on this forum.
Posted Image

4.) Inland Silverside (Menidia beryllina)
Posted Image

5.) Mummichog (Fundulus heteroclitus)...which subspecies might this be? Northern or Southern?
Posted Image

6.) Rainwater Killifish (Lucania parva)...looks like a male
Posted Image

7.) Silver Perch (Bairdiella chrysoura)...this is a guess. I know it's a Sciaenid, but could it be a Silver Seatrout?
Posted Image

8.) White Mullet (Mugil curema)...wanted to make sure this isn't a Striped Mullet
Posted Image

This'll be the last batch. Thank you!

#19 Guest_fritz_*

Guest_fritz_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 July 2009 - 10:45 AM

Nice photos. I agree with your IDs (silverside may be an Atlantic - hard to see the anal fin). That is definitely a silver perch.

#20 Guest_NateTessler13_*

Guest_NateTessler13_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 July 2009 - 11:57 AM

Nice photos. I agree with your IDs (silverside may be an Atlantic - hard to see the anal fin). That is definitely a silver perch.

Thank you. I thought Silver Perch right away because of the obvious Sciaenid body form, but the yellow fins were my main indicator. Here's a pic of the Silverside sp. with anal fin somewhat displayed...

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users