Sea Trout in North Carolina?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_NateTessler13_*

Guest_NateTessler13_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 July 2009 - 02:20 PM

and on top of that...I believe this is a Naked Goby (Gobiosoma bosc) here in my gallery;

http://gallery.nanfa...09_ NT.jpg.html

#22 Guest_fritz_*

Guest_fritz_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 July 2009 - 06:59 PM

Thank you. I thought Silver Perch right away because of the obvious Sciaenid body form, but the yellow fins were my main indicator. Here's a pic of the Silverside sp. with anal fin somewhat displayed...

Posted Image

juvenile silver perch also have some black in their first dorsal - more obvious at a smaller size. Still iffy on the silverside. The inland silverside origin of the first dorsal fin is located ahead of the anal fin origin. In the Atlantic the dorsal fin origin is above or slightly behind the anal fin origin

#23 Guest_Gambusia_*

Guest_Gambusia_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2009 - 03:33 PM

How do you tell a summer from a southern flounder?

#24 Guest_bloombio_*

Guest_bloombio_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 September 2009 - 10:26 PM

Alright, I'm going to give it a go-through of all the fish I caught and photographed while in Duck, NC. I'm going to post a picture along with what I've ID'ed them as. I'm posting this because I'm not 100% sure on some of these ID's. Any help would be very much appreciated!

1.) White Mullet (Mugil curema)
Posted Image

2.) Atlantic Needlefish (Strongylura marina)
Posted Image

3.) Southern Flounder (Paralichthys dentatus)
Posted Image

4.) Pinfish (Lagodon rhomboides)
Posted Image

5.) Spot (Leiostomus xanthurus)
Posted Image

6.) Northern Pipefish (Sygnathus fuscus)
Posted Image

7.) Rainwater Killifish (Luciana parva)
Posted Image

Actually, I've got quite a few more pictures that I need to upload, but they're not done being edited yet. Any confirmations of these ID's, or criticisms are much welcomed. Thanks! :smile2:

#6 is a chain pipefish, Syngnathus louisianae It is usually found in the Gulf of Mexico but has a northern distribution up to Bermuda on the Atlantic coast. Northern pipefish usually stay much smaller. Chain pipefish get very large, 200mm or more.

#25 Guest_Amazon_*

Guest_Amazon_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 September 2009 - 07:00 PM

Yes your goby is a naked goby, gobiosoma bosc. Nice fish, how and what do you atch them in?
Do you ever come to the Louisiana area?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users