Forum Members from Manitoba?

7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_BrownBullhead_*

Guest_BrownBullhead_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 July 2009 - 09:39 AM

I thought it would be interesting to see where the other Manitobans are at.

Feel free to add your name to this thread, and maybe suggest spots where you have collected in the past, or would like to collect in the future.

#2 Guest_Radioguy_*

Guest_Radioguy_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 July 2009 - 10:45 PM

Hi there Brownie ...

I'm a fellow friendly Manitoban, although I'm in Saskatchewan for a little while.

Radioguy

Feel free to add your name to this thread, and maybe suggest spots where you have collected in the past, or would like to collect in the future.

Attached Images

• DSCN6586_resized.jpg

#3 Guest_Burbot_*

Guest_Burbot_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2009 - 12:46 PM

I am from niverville, just a few miles away from you!

#4 Guest_Radioguy_*

Guest_Radioguy_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2009 - 01:37 PM

I forgot to mention I live in St Francois Xavier ... one lot away from the Assiniboine River and do most of my collecting in the La Salle River or some of the small creeks feeding the Assiniboine west of Wpg.

Now I'm down to one female Bluegill and a male Longeared Sunfish.

Have had a Pike, Rainbow Trout fingerlings from my stocking project, Rock Bass, loads of different minnow varieties, carp, black bullheads (3) for almost 3 years till they started to outgrow the tank and I gave them away.

I think my favourite was a school of 6 or 8 small Bluegills that got along nicely.

Also, it was pretty slick to have an adult male Bluegill in full breeding colours caught by angling at La Barrier Park. He became so tame he'd let me give him a tummy scratch and was master of his domain with no fear of anything. In a staring contest between my cat and the fish, the cat got scared and never went back to that tank ... it was pretty funny. Unfortunately he died of ich.

All my best pix are on my other hard drive, so nothing to show you.

Regards,
Radioguy

#5 Guest_Burbot_*

Guest_Burbot_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2009 - 04:44 PM

Radioguy,
did you find the sunfish locally?

My favourite spot for the last couple of years has been St. Malo, the lake and right at the bottom of the dam and further along the river where it is shallow. Found rock bass, stonecats, a few burbots, perch, pike, tadpole madtoms, a bunch of minnow species, and a few other things. easy place to collect at too.

Edited by Burbot, 06 July 2009 - 04:47 PM.

#6 Guest_Radioguy_*

Guest_Radioguy_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2009 - 05:12 PM

Burbot:

I was offered the Sunfish by another local native collector who took pity on me after my male BG died. The other guy is a sometimes reader here and hopefully he will chime in before long. I can't recall exactly where he got it from. The little fella is sure in great shape though, and wants to breed with my female BG but he is a rough little bugger and I have to keep them separated.

St Malo sounds like fun ... my biggest problem is pretty much the same as all aquarium owners .... too many interesting and desireable fish in the world and not enough gallonage to keep them at home ... LOL.

Here is SK, you can't keep or trap anything ... but I've been watching some sticklebacks made a nest and that's been my fix....along with catching 5 Pike around5 lbs yesterday and a spot where you can catch hundreds of little perch about 6 feet away from you in nice clear water and toss em back in. With polarized sunglasses, its almost like feeding earthworms to my aquarium fish.

Do a search on my name and you'll see another one of my projects with respect to Rainbow Trout.

Radioguy

quote name='Burbot' date='Jul 6 2009, 03:44 PM' post='61405']
Radioguy,
did you find the sunfish locally?

My favourite spot for the last couple of years has been St. Malo, the lake and right at the bottom of the dam and further along the river where it is shallow. Found rock bass, stonecats, a few burbots, perch, pike, tadpole madtoms, a bunch of minnow species, and a few other things. easy place to collect at too.
[/quote]

#7 Guest_Foxlarocks_*

Guest_Foxlarocks_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 June 2010 - 07:46 PM

I'm in Winnipeg!

#8 Guest_Burbot_*

Guest_Burbot_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2010 - 12:37 AM

welcome! I'm close to winnipeg

Reply to this topic