Plant ID

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Guest_mshi_*

Guest_mshi_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 December 2006 - 09:44 AM

I'm setting up a native tank in Northeast PA. I plan on using plants collected from local lakes. I have noticed that there are some plants that are still alive in winter (mild winter-lakes only partially frozen). I assume these must be very hardy and would make good aquarium additions. Is this correct and are there any plants I should avoid. I am not familiar with aquatic plant species so a discription would be greatly appreciated. Does anyone know a good book to ID native aquatic plants? I haven't been able to find any. I do have the Walstad book on set up but need to learn species. (I plan to keep some minnows and a few sunnies [the tank is a 75 that is 48x18x20] if that helps). As an experiment and to get some experience with natives I put some of these plants (soil covered by some lake sand as substrate) and a few fatheads I got at a local bait shop in my 10 gallon tank. I attached a photo. This is 3 days in and I have already seen growth in the plants and the fish are eating well.
Thanks

Attached Files

#2 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 December 2006 - 10:24 PM

Got it!

Callitriche heterophylla a.k.a. different-leaved water-starwort a.k.a. large water-starwort.

Not commercially available to my knowledge. Probably requires high light based on what little information I could find on its congeners.

Very nice sample, by the way, mshi! Arrived in excellent shape. It's not the species I was originally thinking of. Sometimes with plants one needs to look very... very... closely...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users