Goldfish In Wild Pond

3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_donkeyman876_*

Guest_donkeyman876_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 July 2009 - 06:52 PM

There are goldfish in a small pond near my house in southwestern Ontario. The ponds only native species ,that I know of at this point in time, is pumpkinseeds. The pond may also contain common carp. It is about a quarter of an acre in size. I wsa wondering if anything should be done about the goldfish in the pond. I don't think that there is very big chance of the fish moving from this body of water because the only way out is a very shallo fast flowing creek out of it. Should I try and do anything about the goldfish or should I go to the MNR or just leave it? Input is appreciated.

#2 Guest_netmaker_*

Guest_netmaker_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2009 - 06:39 AM

There are goldfish in a small pond near my house in southwestern Ontario. The ponds only native species ,that I know of at this point in time, is pumpkinseeds. The pond may also contain common carp. It is about a quarter of an acre in size. I wsa wondering if anything should be done about the goldfish in the pond. I don't think that there is very big chance of the fish moving from this body of water because the only way out is a very shallo fast flowing creek out of it. Should I try and do anything about the goldfish or should I go to the MNR or just leave it? Input is appreciated.

Being realistic, how would anyone take them out of a 1/4 acre pond anyway?

When we used to do "pond" work, ie; seining, culling out and re-stocking.........there were often goldfish in ponds with all sorts of game fish. No one knew how they got there. Not being a biologist I have no idea on the impact. However, it was just impossible to promise a land owner that we had securely removed all the gold fish.

Just my thoughts....

#3 Guest_donkeyman876_*

Guest_donkeyman876_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2009 - 09:09 PM

Actualy just today I found out how they got in there. Apparently the pond used to be farely baron except for small pumikinseeds and catfish but a few years ago a man who lives down the street from me emptied his old pond (which he got rid of because it was leaking into his basement) into the pond. The pond is now 90% covered in lillies from his pond and has goldfish (wither common or comet) in it that are about 8-10 inces in length.

#4 Guest_theK_*

Guest_theK_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 July 2009 - 01:30 AM

Actualy just today I found out how they got in there. Apparently the pond used to be farely baron except for small pumikinseeds and catfish but a few years ago a man who lives down the street from me emptied his old pond (which he got rid of because it was leaking into his basement) into the pond. The pond is now 90% covered in lillies from his pond and has goldfish (wither common or comet) in it that are about 8-10 inces in length.

go have some fun in removing them... go fishing :biggrin:

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users