Minnow?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Megoto_*

Guest_Megoto_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2009 - 08:52 PM

Hello all, I am trying to nail down what kind of minnow this is. We have many of them in the stream next to my house. I've got it narrowd to the Texas shiner and the black stripe top minnow. Any help would be apreciated. I hope this picture helps. [attachment=8943:100_0370.JPG]

#2 Guest_rjmtx_*

Guest_rjmtx_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2009 - 08:59 PM

I don't think it's either of those. Can you get a clearer picture? I'm guessing it's Guadalupe roundnose minnow or central stoneroller, but it could be something else. This stream is in the Upper Guadalupe, right (it says you're from Killeen)? I can tell you for sure if you get a clear pic (try using macro).

Man, it's good to see some people from Texas on the forum lately...

Edited by rjmtx, 28 July 2009 - 09:00 PM.

#3 Guest_Amazon_*

Guest_Amazon_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2009 - 09:11 PM

Its definantly not a blackstripe topminnow. Cool fish though.

#4 Guest_Megoto_*

Guest_Megoto_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2009 - 09:24 PM

Yes I'm from Ft. Hood actualy. I'll see if I can get a better picture tomorrow. Just googled the Guadalupe roundnose and this fish looks very much like the ones in the stream. I'll still get a better picture to see for sure. Also would they be ok in a tropical community tank. I am setting up a 75gal community tank and would realy like to add them.

Edited by Megoto, 28 July 2009 - 09:42 PM.

#5 Guest_Megoto_*

Guest_Megoto_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 July 2009 - 09:13 PM

anyone have any ideas on this

#6 Guest_rjmtx_*

Guest_rjmtx_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 July 2009 - 08:23 AM

I don't think Dionda nigrotaeniata would do so hot in the long run in a tropical community tank. They generally stay in spring runs that are in the low 70's at the warmest. You could try them out in an unheated community tank just to see if they work, though. I have no clue how they would act around other more aggressive or "frilly" domestic tropical fish. I've had them in tanks with other natives with no problem. Feed them a high plant diet.

Edited by rjmtx, 30 July 2009 - 08:24 AM.

#7 Guest_Megoto_*

Guest_Megoto_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 July 2009 - 11:02 AM

Thank you for the assist.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users