Leeches in with my Blackworms

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_eLeMeNt_*

Guest_eLeMeNt_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 December 2006 - 09:10 AM

Each time I have bought live blackworms for the past month I have found a leech inside the container with them. They are pretty small, but easy to pick out because they move to the lid of the container, while the blackworms stay mostly on the bottom.

Has anybody else seen this when buying blackworms for their fish?

Now I double check before feeding the fish to make sure there are no leeches tangled in with them. I'm curious as to whether a fish's stomach would be able to digest a leech, or whether the leech could survive inside them. They look like an ectoparasite to me (not sure if all leeches are, I’m no expert on leeches).

I would never feed any leeches to my fish, I'm just curious.

#2 Guest_dsmith73_*

Guest_dsmith73_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 December 2006 - 09:16 AM

I have had these every time that I have ever bought blackworms so it is not at all uncommon. I was concerned the first time I saw them as well so I contacted the supplier. They informed me that these were not leeches, but a species of flatworm, and they are harmless and make quite good fish food in their own right. After that, I never thought twice about them and have never had a problem with them.

#3 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 December 2006 - 09:42 AM

It is common to find leeches in with blackworms. The two I see the most are not parasitic on vertebrates and either detritivores or worm feeders. They do as Dustin said make good fish food.

#4 Guest_eLeMeNt_*

Guest_eLeMeNt_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 December 2006 - 11:20 PM

Interesting.....I immediately assumed they were leeches when I saw them. Now that I think about it they really do look like a type of flatworm. I also was unaware that there are non parasitic leeches.

I guess I'll end up throwing them in the tank for food after all.

Thanks guys.

#5 Guest_choupique_*

Guest_choupique_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 December 2006 - 12:19 AM

I get them all the time too, they don't seem to ever be a problem. Some of my fish eat them, some don't. They seem to die quickly, and the strong ones usually adhere to the bottom of the container when I am rinsing the blackworms. I can get rid of a lot of them by dumping the blackworms in a new container.

I have never seen any of my fish with leeches on them after feeding blackworms all winter. I do get them in my ponds, but after a few months inside the other fish clean each other up. I have also never found these buggers to be in any of my tanks at the end of winter when I clean out and move fish outside.

#6 Guest_hmt321_*

Guest_hmt321_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 December 2006 - 11:39 AM

man #1, "Hey you got leeches in my blackworms!!!!"

Man #2, "NO, you got blackworms in my leeches!!!!!"

two tastes that go great together

#7 Guest_choupique_*

Guest_choupique_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 December 2006 - 11:54 AM

:-D O:) :-) :-D O:) :) :-D

Hahahahahah, that is good!

#8 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 December 2006 - 02:05 PM

:-D O:) :-) :-D O:) :) :-D

Hahahahahah, that is good!

That shows your age, both of you. It shows my age also, because I get it, too :smile:

#9 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 December 2006 - 03:36 PM

The leeches found with blackworms EAT blackworms. Try this (i did): put a leech in a cup of cool water for a few days without any worms, then add a blackworm.

You can tell theyre NOT flatworms by the way they move: flatworms glide, while leeches creep like inch-worms. and Flatworms do not have a sucker disk on the tail end.

OK as food for bigger fish, but i'm careful not to drop them in with small fish in fear that they'll choke trying to eat a leech. Note how they squnch up in a ball when poked - if they do this in a small darter's or pygmy sunnie's throat they may get stuck (just my paranoid theory).

gerald

#10 Guest_dsmith73_*

Guest_dsmith73_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 December 2006 - 08:40 PM

The leeches found with blackworms EAT blackworms. Try this (i did): put a leech in a cup of cool water for a few days without any worms, then add a blackworm.

You can tell theyre NOT flatworms by the way they move: flatworms glide, while leeches creep like inch-worms. and Flatworms do not have a sucker disk on the tail end.

OK as food for bigger fish, but i'm careful not to drop them in with small fish in fear that they'll choke trying to eat a leech. Note how they squnch up in a ball when poked - if they do this in a small darter's or pygmy sunnie's throat they may get stuck (just my paranoid theory).

gerald

So they lied to me, huh? I was always suspicious but since they were so small and pale I took their word for it. I never really gave much thought to the balling up scenario. I need to keep an eye on this then when I feed to smaller fish I guess.

#11 Guest_eLeMeNt_*

Guest_eLeMeNt_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 December 2006 - 10:51 PM

Hmmm. I know two people at my work that specialize in identifying macroinvertebrates. Next time I see them around I'll see what they think. Maybe even give them a preserved specimen.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users