POP UP NETS FOR COLLECTING

3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_netmaker_*

Guest_netmaker_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2009 - 10:06 PM

Just Curious.............

Has anyone here ever used Pop-Ups for private collecting?
Are they even legal to use in your home states?

Just curious how they may have worked for the aquarium type fish you all are looking for.

Greg

#2 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2009 - 10:55 PM

That's a new one on me. So, if I'm reading the diagram correctly, the net has a bouyant perimeter that is held near the bottom by some sort of catch; the operator chums the water and then remotely releases the catch by means of a rope to allow the net to rise, trapping the fish. Is that right? It seems like a bigger, more sophisticated version of a crab net.

#3 Guest_netmaker_*

Guest_netmaker_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 August 2009 - 06:45 AM

That's a new one on me. So, if I'm reading the diagram correctly, the net has a bouyant perimeter that is held near the bottom by some sort of catch; the operator chums the water and then remotely releases the catch by means of a rope to allow the net to rise, trapping the fish. Is that right? It seems like a bigger, more sophisticated version of a crab net.

That's correct. the nets come in various sizes and shapes. The BOX type are generally used for larger fish and are delpoyed with 4" dia. pvc for floataion. But they are also made with circular frames and very lightweight frames for loose gravel beds and such.
The "trigger" device can be elaborate or as simple as a weight and a slip knot.

There are some with a "Jump Ring" that restricts fish from swimming out and over the frame work of the really light duty nets.

There is one variety that has one edge tilted upward so it blocking the benthic fish already on one side. When spooked off their feeding ground or hide-aways, the other end Pops-Up and scoops them.

I worked with one variety with a pnuematic airline and a small air tank. It lifted the frame very quickly .

Basically, it is a framed net that Pop -Ups!

gf

#4 Guest_netmaker_*

Guest_netmaker_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 August 2009 - 06:54 AM

University of Missouri Project.
Catipillar Fyke and Pop-Ups in the flood plain.

Photo Courtesy of M.Montgomery Fisheries Dept.

Attached Images

• DSCN2263.JPG

Edited by netmaker, 03 August 2009 - 06:55 AM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users