Any Hawaii Members?

4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 August 2009 - 07:49 AM

i was wondering if anyone has kept or researched any of these fish

http://hawaii.gov/dl...ve_animals.html

quite amazing...shipping would be a pain to the states...but very cool native fish.

#2 Guest_Amazon_*

Guest_Amazon_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 August 2009 - 10:28 AM

Wow! I wouldnt have thuoght that Hawaii had such interesting freshwater fish. Thanks for posting that.

#3 Guest_EdBihary_*

Guest_EdBihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 August 2009 - 02:07 AM

I have been looking for some of those for a long time, especially the Naniha Goby. If anybody knows of a distributor from whom they can be ordered, I would be grateful for a heads-up. Thanks!

#4 Guest_Ouassous_*

Guest_Ouassous_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 August 2009 - 12:44 PM

I have been looking for some of those for a long time, especially the Naniha Goby. If anybody knows of a distributor from whom they can be ordered, I would be grateful for a heads-up. Thanks!

I doubt any commercial dealers are collecting freshwater fish in Hawaii, but I've heard of hobbyists shipping live critters from there to the continental U.S. through domestic carriers. Ingoing transport of live aquatics, even from the lower 48, is subject to some pretty strict restrictions, but those accounts would seem to suggest that the same doesn't hold true for the other direction.

It's worth noting that a similar range of amphidromous fish (mostly gobies and the like) occurs in the streams of Puerto Rico -- see here for some colorful Sicydium; obtaining Caribbean analogues might prove to be a logistically superior option for East Coasters. I'm keeping a few juveniles that I incidentally collected earlier this summer while netting shrimp.

Edited by Ouassous, 06 August 2009 - 12:44 PM.

#5 Guest_SeaweedGuy_*

Guest_SeaweedGuy_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 August 2009 - 10:57 AM

I remember going to Hawaii about 8 or so years ago and seeing some of those goby species in a stream that flowed out into the ocean. If I lived there I know I'd set up a tank for them.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users