Pickerel ID

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2009 - 06:50 AM

Well I'm new to the pickerel world....im just not 100%...but i believe its a grass pickerel....thanks again gentleman..

if anyone wants to take a shot at the shiners in there as well...caught those for him to eat along with my eels.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 Guest_darter1_*

Guest_darter1_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2009 - 07:42 AM

Hard to tell for sure. My guess is Chain Pickerel because the subocular bar is vertical as opposed to slanted backwards in Redfin and Grass Pickerel. Also the mouth looks fairly small, just to the eye instead of reaching the middle of the eye in Redfin and Grass Pickerel. Hard to tell for sure from just a pic.
The minnows have a Golden Shiner body shape... if so they will have a strongly decurved lateral line. Hope this helps!

#3 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2009 - 07:45 AM

Hard to tell for sure. My guess is Chain Pickerel because the subocular bar is vertical as opposed to slanted backwards in Redfin and Grass Pickerel. Also the mouth looks fairly small, just to the eye instead of reaching the middle of the eye in Redfin and Grass Pickerel. Hard to tell for sure from just a pic.
The minnows have a Golden Shiner body shape... if so they will have a strongly decurved lateral line. Hope this helps!

i really hope its a grass pickerel for the sake of its in a 55 gallon lol. also i used this for ID
http://forum.nanfa.o...ss-pickerel-id/

and it looks kinda like the grass...

then i looked at this

Posted Image

and it looks nothing like it

#4 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2009 - 07:46 AM

Well I'm new to the pickerel world....im just not 100%...but i believe its a grass pickerel....thanks again gentleman..

if anyone wants to take a shot at the shiners in there as well...caught those for him to eat along with my eels.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I don't think that you would have grass pickerel in your area, where you are located, and redfins have a rather short stubby snout. Your fish appears to have a longer snout and no red on the fins, therefore it appears to be a chain pickerel. Chain pickerel often have a white edge to their lower fins. Redfins, even a small size, have some red to all the lower fins.

#5 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2009 - 07:48 AM

oh god...i really thought it was a grass pickerel... crap. ugh wtf. i suck. i wouldnt have taken it...i coulda swore it was a freaking grass pickerel.

#6 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2009 - 08:01 AM

oh god...i really thought it was a grass pickerel... crap. ugh wtf. i suck. i wouldnt have taken it...i coulda swore it was a freaking grass pickerel.

Keep it for awhile, I can take it off your hands if it gets too large. I am sure you will easily be able to find a new home for it from someone on here.
This is a picture of a small chain pickerel that is a little bigger than yours but you can see the long snout. Their body pattern changes dramatically as they grow; they start out looking like a grass pickerel pattern.

Juv. chain
Attached File  jv Chain Pickerel2 Mingo River Swamp MO 9 17 06 by BZ.jpg   78.97KB   0 downloads

Same chain - about 6 in.
Attached File  jv Chain Pickerel6 Mingo River Swamp MO 9 17 06 by BZ.JPG   163.8KB   0 downloads

Notice how short the snout is in front of the eye compared to the rest of the head - different from the chain above.
Redfin
Attached File  Redfin Pickerel5 from Naked Creek at the Montgomery and Richmond county line NC 06 09 07 by JZ.jpg   71.41KB   0 downloads

very small Grass pickerel
Attached File  jv grass pickerel2 by BZ.jpg   216.94KB   0 downloads

#7 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2009 - 08:04 AM

yeah i see what you mean about the snout. his is def long. but man i can swear that the pattern is like a grass. he is about 4 or so inches right now.

#8 Guest_darter1_*

Guest_darter1_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2009 - 10:27 AM

Nice synopsis with helpful pics!!

#9 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2009 - 11:19 AM

I just checked my fishes of mass book. No grass around here. :(

Although we do have redfins. Ill have to try and find them

Edited by bumpylemon, 05 August 2009 - 11:35 AM.

#10 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2009 - 09:07 AM

well i just checked out the drainages around me on nature serve and i got this

http://www.natureser...jsp?huc=1090003

which does include grass pickerel....so can i have someone else ID this again? i will take some more pics right now.

#11 Guest_rjmtx_*

Guest_rjmtx_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2009 - 09:31 AM

It says "Redfin or Grass Pickerel." They are the same species, different subspecies. Also, as helpful as it can be, be careful using Natureserve. I'd use it along with another source to be sure what you're getting is accurate. For quick and sloppy info, it can get the job done.

#12 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2009 - 09:32 AM

It says "Redfin or Grass Pickerel." They are the same species, different subspecies. Also, as helpful as it can be, be careful using Natureserve. I'd use it along with another source to be sure what you're getting is accurate. For quick and sloppy info, it can get the job done.

ahh i got yah. i still only see the resemblance to the grass and not the chain based on body coloration and patterns.

#13 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2009 - 09:41 AM

Yes redfin and grass are the same species just different subspecies and the Atlantic slope fish are redfins and Mississippi basin are grass pickerel. Don't worry your fish will change patterns as it grows, just feed it a lot.

#14 Guest_Kanus_*

Guest_Kanus_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2009 - 09:45 AM

This is a comparison picture I made a few years back of a Chain Pickerel vs. Redfin Pickerel (from Virginia) just to reiterate the point. More pictures are always better :)

Attached Files

#15 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2009 - 09:48 AM

This is a comparison picture I made a few years back of a Chain Pickerel vs. Redfin Pickerel (from Virginia) just to reiterate the point. More pictures are always better :)

ah that last pic shows exactly mine..thanks for that..clearly a chain now... i suppose ill throw it in my parents locked in pond. hmm.

#16 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2009 - 10:20 AM

let it get bigger before you put it in the pond, it'll just be bass food at a small size.

#17 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2009 - 10:51 AM

let it get bigger before you put it in the pond, it'll just be bass food at a small size.

there shouldnt be any bass in there.my parents never released any in there so its just not possible.

#18 Guest_CATfishTONY_*

Guest_CATfishTONY_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2009 - 12:15 PM

Dont be so sure sunfish have a away of showing up in a new pond im not sure how but they
do find a way.

#19 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2009 - 12:21 PM

Lol he said bass. I know there are sunfish cuz I stocked the pond. The sunfish won't eat a 5" chain......right?

#20 Guest_panfisherteen_*

Guest_panfisherteen_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2009 - 06:59 PM

i think a 8" green sunfish might take a swipe, but i think it is just too big to be eatable by any lepomis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users