Invasives in Michigan

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_chad55_*

Guest_chad55_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 December 2006 - 11:40 AM

What kind of invasives are there in Michigan? That way I know what fish to throw out when i am fishing. I want to try and do my part in keeping the ecosystem safe from non-native species of fish.

Chad

#2 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 December 2006 - 12:39 PM

What kind of invasives are there in Michigan? That way I know what fish to throw out when i am fishing. I want to try and do my part in keeping the ecosystem safe from non-native species of fish.

Chad

There are about 59 exotic and native transplanted species of fish in Michigan. The key ones however that have turned invasive or destructive are the Sea lamprey, Carp, Goldfish, Round goby, tubenose goby, Threespine stickleback and weather loach. these fish should never be returned to the water if caught.

Naturally any obvious exotic such as Pacu or Tilapia should also never be returned.

#3 Guest_dredcon_*

Guest_dredcon_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 December 2006 - 12:55 PM

Ever see any Eurasian ruffe? I think I caught one in Lake Michigan @ Charlevoix last summer. The shift in species I have caught off the peir there over the years is disturbing.

#4 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 December 2006 - 01:10 PM

Ever see any Eurasian ruffe? I think I caught one in Lake Michigan @ Charlevoix last summer. The shift in species I have caught off the peir there over the years is disturbing.

Oh yeah and add that one to the destructive annoying list also. I have not see these fish yet in the southern part of the state. There is a rather large population of them in western Lake Superior and from what I have gathered they are moving south slowly with small populations showing up in Lakes Michigan and Huron.

#5 Guest_chad55_*

Guest_chad55_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 December 2006 - 01:41 PM

Do you have any pics of these species? I know goldfish and carp lol but I don't know what the other ones look like. Also snakeheads are even illegal to return right?

Chad

#6 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 December 2006 - 02:21 PM

Do you have any pics of these species? I know goldfish and carp lol but I don't know what the other ones look like. Also snakeheads are even illegal to return right?

Chad

There has never been any confirmed snakehead in Michigan, but if you run across one chop it's head off and get it to a DNR station right away.

Information on all these fish can be found here:
http://nas.er.usgs.g...;submit2=Submit
I should also add just one more to the list of "never return to the water" WHITE PERCH....

#7 Guest_Histrix_*

Guest_Histrix_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 December 2006 - 10:58 AM

I hope we will never have to add Asian carp to the list, but I'm sure it's only a matter of time before they make it into Lake Michigan :(

#8 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 December 2006 - 12:41 PM

I hope we will never have to add Asian carp to the list, but I'm sure it's only a matter of time before they make it into Lake Michigan :(

Are you talking about common carp? You mean they are not already in Lake Michigan? That is a very pleasant surprise! About the only place in North America I would expect them not to be is the Arctic islands of Nunavut and NWT. I hope I'm wrong about that.

#9 Guest_dredcon_*

Guest_dredcon_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 December 2006 - 01:42 PM

The common carp is from Europe, I would bet they are already in there.

#10 Guest_Histrix_*

Guest_Histrix_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 December 2006 - 01:58 PM

Are you talking about common carp? You mean they are not already in Lake Michigan? That is a very pleasant surprise! About the only place in North America I would expect them not to be is the Arctic islands of Nunavut and NWT. I hope I'm wrong about that.

People have been using the term "Asian carp" to refer to a number of different invasive species, including grass carp, bighead carp, silver carp, and black carp. Common carp have been here a quite a while and are pretty well established, to the point where their presence is just a given a lot of the time. These other species are much more annoying but have not made it into the Great Lakes... yet.

#11 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 December 2006 - 02:37 PM

With only two faulty electric barriers and about 500 ft of river they are sure to make it sooner of later.

It is unfortunate really that the Chicago Sanitary and Ship Canal and welland canal where ever made. But this is a different gripe and one that is alot like smacking ones head on a brick wall. ](*,)

#12 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 December 2006 - 03:16 PM

With only two faulty electric barriers and about 500 ft of river they are sure to make it sooner of later.

Two faulty electric barriers and 500 feet of river? Can you elaborate on this, please? Thanks.

I thought the common carp was native to Asia, as well as Europe? Well I'm glad to hear that those others haven't made it there yet. Just the same, I thought all of the Great Lakes are heavily compromised ecosystems. Between invasive species and industrial pollution. As far as I know, Lake Superior is in the best condition of them all, but still compromised. Am I wrong? Please let me be wrong, but I seriously doubt it. :-(

#13 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 December 2006 - 03:42 PM

Two faulty electric barriers and 500 feet of river? Can you elaborate on this, please? Thanks.

I thought the common carp was native to Asia, as well as Europe? Well I'm glad to hear that those others haven't made it there yet. Just the same, I thought all of the Great Lakes are heavily compromised ecosystems. Between invasive species and industrial pollution. As far as I know, Lake Superior is in the best condition of them all, but still compromised. Am I wrong? Please let me be wrong, but I seriously doubt it. :-(

Two electric barriers have been constructed on the Chicago Sanitary and Ship Canal and there is little that is truly stopping these fish entering the Great lakes, if one or both of these barriers fail Asian carp (Grass, and Bighead if you wish) will quickly become established.

Arguing Common carp and Asian carp is semantics Ed... You know what we are talking about here. Or if not you know now.

All the Great lakes have been in one way or another compromised ecologicly but each is holding it's own in it's own way. Adding more invasives and exotics to the mix will likely cause a huge ecological collapse. Actually it is interesting but Lake St. Clair is the best off ecologically. Superior has never trully been a very diverse lake in terms of biodiversity and it contains the greatest number of invasive species of any of the Great lakes.

#14 Guest_Histrix_*

Guest_Histrix_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 December 2006 - 03:51 PM

Just the same, I thought all of the Great Lakes are heavily compromised ecosystems. Between invasive species and industrial pollution. As far as I know, Lake Superior is in the best condition of them all, but still compromised. Am I wrong? Please let me be wrong, but I seriously doubt it. :-(

Yes, we've trashed the Great Lakes pretty well. But there are some signs of improvement -- things are definitely much cleaner than they were in the 1970's when the Cuyahoga River caught fire. I think that there is still a chance of saving the lakes if we can start managing them properly. Of course, they will never be the way they were before all of these invasives were introduced. But if we act now, we can stop new introductions and keep industrial pollution to a minimum.

But then again, counting on the government to do anything constructive in a timely manner is a very frustrating prospect :(

#15 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 December 2006 - 04:01 PM

Arguing Common carp and Asian carp is semantics Ed... You know what we are talking about here. Or if not you know now.

I wasn't trying to argue, and I apologize if I came across that way. I was just trying to say that I guess my understanding was in error, and state the reason for my misunderstanding. Sorry.

Superior has the greatest number of invasives, you say. That is interesting, and counterintuitive. I believe you, of course. But I would have thought the further upstream the fewest seagoing vessels would have made it that far to introduce invasives. I guess they came from other sources as well.

#16 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 December 2006 - 04:30 PM

I wasn't trying to argue, and I apologize if I came across that way. I was just trying to say that I guess my understanding was in error, and state the reason for my misunderstanding. Sorry.

Superior has the greatest number of invasives, you say. That is interesting, and counterintuitive. I believe you, of course. But I would have thought the further upstream the fewest seagoing vessels would have made it that far to introduce invasives. I guess they came from other sources as well.

Three words... Copper, Iron ore, and Duluth harbor.....Lake Superior is actually the port of call for the greatest number of foreign ships in the Great lakes.

#17 Guest_chad55_*

Guest_chad55_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 December 2006 - 03:38 PM

I heard snakeheads were found in lake Erie! IDK how true this is but that is what I read/heard...not sure which. BTW thanks for all the great info guys.

Chad

#18 Guest_Histrix_*

Guest_Histrix_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 December 2006 - 05:13 PM

I heard snakeheads were found in lake Erie! IDK how true this is but that is what I read/heard...not sure which. BTW thanks for all the great info guys.

Chad

I haven't heard about this, but I'm sure it's probably happened at some point. I don't think that Channa would be able to survive a Michigan winter, however. But then again, seeing how this winter is going, I might have to take that back...

#19 Guest_chad55_*

Guest_chad55_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 December 2006 - 06:52 PM

Ha yea this winter is a JOKE! Although it is good for me. I have not even had to put my deicer out on my pond yet! Kinda nice I guess but I would still like atleast a LITTLE snow.

Chad

#20 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 December 2006 - 06:42 PM

I haven't heard about this, but I'm sure it's probably happened at some point. I don't think that Channa would be able to survive a Michigan winter, however. But then again, seeing how this winter is going, I might have to take that back...

Many snakehead species are from NE Asia (Siberia) so even a Michigan winter wouldn't be a problem for them. Hopefully no one has done anything stoopid like release them in the area; hope springs eternal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users