Minnow Trap Success!

21 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_OutlawTorn_*

Guest_OutlawTorn_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 August 2009 - 05:58 PM

Just got back from checking my minnow trap and caught 6. I will post pics as soon as I can. But for now the have a greyish back a beige stripe a black strip then another beige stripe and rainbow color iridescent scales. Any Clues? I caught them in an extremely small creek by my house. Will post pics as soon as I can!

#2 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 August 2009 - 06:33 PM

awesome!!! lookin forward to pics

#3 Guest_OutlawTorn_*

Guest_OutlawTorn_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 August 2009 - 07:04 PM

Sorry for bad quality but best I can do with cell phone.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Any guess what these are?

#4 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 August 2009 - 07:31 PM

Even with a DSL connection that took a minute or two to download... The first fish might be a sunfish? The fish in the next three pictures looks to be a creek chub, based on a basal black spot at the front of the dorsal fin visible in picture #2.

#5 Guest_OutlawTorn_*

Guest_OutlawTorn_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 August 2009 - 07:50 PM

the fish in the first and last pics is the same fish. just 1 out of water and 1 in the water

#6 Guest_OutlawTorn_*

Guest_OutlawTorn_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 August 2009 - 08:03 PM

yep. Creek Chub. Just looked up some pics and look just like the fish I caught today. These things are SOOOOOO ACTIVE! I love them already!

#7 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 August 2009 - 08:10 PM

OK, creek chub it is. It's a common, very hardy species. They're great in aquariums because they're not at all picky about food and are in general hard to kill. The down side is that they're aggressive to other fish and can outcompete them for food. They also grow quickly in a good environment, making them even bigger terrors. But I've always been a sucker for "tough guy" minnows like creek chubs and striped shiners.

#8 Guest_Casper Cox_*

Guest_Casper Cox_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 August 2009 - 11:14 PM

Black Nose Dace?

Underslung mouth.

wide caudal fin base.

Shot macro.

#9 Guest_smilingfrog_*

Guest_smilingfrog_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 August 2009 - 03:08 AM

Black Nose Dace?

That's what I was thinking too. The picture looks like it has a small subterminal mouth, but that could just be the angle. How big is its mouth?

Edited by smilingfrog, 07 August 2009 - 03:11 AM.

#10 Guest_OutlawTorn_*

Guest_OutlawTorn_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 August 2009 - 03:43 AM

That's what I was thinking too. The picture looks like it has a small subterminal mouth, but that could just be the angle. How big is its mouth?

Im not sure if you know red fish in salt water but their mouths look just alike to me. Somewhat under the head and a medium size. I just looked at black nose dace and now I am confused. They look alot like them also. I looked at creek chub again also and can not find the black spot on the dorsal on any of my fish. I will really try and get some clear pics.

#11 Guest_OutlawTorn_*

Guest_OutlawTorn_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 August 2009 - 03:13 PM

OK, I have been doing some heavy research since I got off work and now I am 99.9% sure they are black nose dace. also I lost 2 of the fish sometime during the day so now I only have 4. But the good news is the 4 left are eating very well and very active.

Edited by OutlawTorn, 07 August 2009 - 03:15 PM.

#12 Guest_OutlawTorn_*

Guest_OutlawTorn_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 August 2009 - 05:57 PM

is there anywhere I can find specific care info for the dace. pH, gH, prefered temps,will tropical flakes and brine shrimp be a good diet?

#13 Guest_Casper Cox_*

Guest_Casper Cox_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2009 - 12:01 PM

Outlaw...
Once you become a dues paying member of NANFA you can get more info, as a past American Currents had a wonderful article on the care and raising of Black Nose Dace. Prez Bruce, i gotta 'nother correcto ID me thinks, but that 2nd pic, the fish on the right does look like a Creek Chub and the torn outlaw could easily have both species in his tank and calling them one. A newby common mistake, dont be too ashamed.
My ID is based upon pics 3 & blurry 4. The outlaw needs to refine his photo skills.
:)
BNDace... main rule, keep them cool. I only find them in Chattanooga in cool spring fed streams. They will eat most anything.

#14 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2009 - 12:36 PM

I based my creek chub ID on the second picture mostly 'cause it's the only one clear enough for an ID, and I'd stick with that barring more evidence. The others may well be BND (I'm certain they're not green sunfish, anyway...).

#15 Guest_OutlawTorn_*

Guest_OutlawTorn_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2009 - 03:04 PM

Outlaw...
Once you become a dues paying member of NANFA you can get more info, as a past American Currents had a wonderful article on the care and raising of Black Nose Dace. Prez Bruce, i gotta 'nother correcto ID me thinks, but that 2nd pic, the fish on the right does look like a Creek Chub and the torn outlaw could easily have both species in his tank and calling them one. A newby common mistake, dont be too ashamed.
My ID is based upon pics 3 & blurry 4. The outlaw needs to refine his photo skills.
BNDace... main rule, keep them cool. I only find them in Chattanooga in cool spring fed streams. They will eat most anything.

Cool. I did not even know there were paid membership but now that you mention it I looked and plan on joining on Wednesday (gotta wait till pay day lol). I have been keeping the fish unheated and the temp holds fast at 72. Is this ok or too warm? I think you are right though about 2 species there does look to be 2 species in my tank. I based this on 1. The mouth of both fish. Completely different. one has mouth under the head and the others the mouth is more towards the front of the head and 2. The black spot on the dorsal of some of the fish and others it is absent. As for the pics all I have is a cell phone to take pics with but if anyone has any suggestion on how to clear them up please let me know. Thanks for all the info.

#16 Guest_OutlawTorn_*

Guest_OutlawTorn_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2009 - 08:05 PM

OK, Best pics I could get, remember I only have a cell phone to take pics with. The 1st pic I assume is the BND but they will not stop moving to get a better pic and pics 2 and 3 I am assuming are the creek chubs. Now all I want to find is a darter and a madtom.

BND?
Posted Image

Creek Chubs?
Posted Image

Posted Image

#17 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2009 - 08:11 PM

OK, I feel better about my original creek chub pronouncement from these new pictures. And the other fish looks like a BND.

#18 Guest_Casper Cox_*

Guest_Casper Cox_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 August 2009 - 11:25 AM

Sure enough.
Yea Bruce...
I too feel good about my ID skills, especially considering the high blur factor. And the belief that the outlaw had BOTH species in glass. His location, minnow trap capture and tiny creek habitat also spoke.

Outlaw...
These are great fish to start with and learn about. Keeping them cool is number one. They will eat just about anything you drop in. The BNDace male's sides turn an amazing irredescent burnt orange during the spring. The Creek Chub males get tubercules / horns and dig long spawning trenches. Lots to learn and amaze yourself by.

The Outlaw writes...

Now all I want to find is a darter and a madtom

That's how it starts.
Keep it simple, i wish that most newbies would stick with the basic, common, but nonetheless amazing fish when they start out. Learn more, kill less. You should see stonerollers soon as well. They are good algae eaters in tanks. Tough fish. I pointed a school of them out this weekend to a friend as they were "flashing" about 50' away.
President Bruce has learned a lot about Rolling Stones.
Get yourself Fritz's new book and a Petersons Field Guide.

#19 Guest_OutlawTorn_*

Guest_OutlawTorn_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 August 2009 - 02:48 PM

Yeah this is for sure different than keeping cichlids. I have been fish keeping for about 5 years but up to this point strictly cichlids. What would you say is their max temp range. Like I said my tank is holding pretty steady at 72 F. What actually made me want to keep natives is one day I said to myself "why am I keeping all these tropical/exotic fish when right in my back yard are interesting and beautiful fish that I know nothing about except yep them are minnows in that stream." Also where might I be able to pick up these books you are speaking of?

#20 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 August 2009 - 03:12 PM

Creek chubs from the Eastern Piedmont region (e.g. Raleigh) can handle 85 F, but you obviously caught yours in a cool Mountain or Western Piedmont stream, based on presence of blacknose dace. For the BNDace's sake I wouldn't let it get above 75 F. That's great you have a place to keep it cool in mid-summer; i'm jealous. What stream/river basin are you in? NC-DWQ has a list of fishes by river basin here: Click "Freshwater Species by River Basin"

http://www.esb.enr.s...arolina.2-1.htm

Yeah this is for sure different than keeping cichlids. I have been fish keeping for about 5 years but up to this point strictly cichlids. What would you say is their max temp range. Like I said my tank is holding pretty steady at 72 F. What actually made me want to keep natives is one day I said to myself "why am I keeping all these tropical/exotic fish when right in my back yard are interesting and beautiful fish that I know nothing about except yep them are minnows in that stream." Also where might I be able to pick up these books you are speaking of?

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users