Teacher Needs Help In Memphis, TN

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 August 2009 - 06:35 PM

This email was on the NANFA e-list today, from Nick Zarlinga. I'm posting the whole exchange for clarity (I hope!). If you're willing and able to help, please respond directly to Deborah Foehring at dfoehring@earthlink.net.

ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

The email below came to the website. I gave her a very general reply and
mentioned that I'm sure some of our folks in the area would be willing to
help. Please contact her directly, but copy me in on your first reply so I
know that her question has been addressed. Thanks.

Nick Zarlinga
Cleveland Metroparks Zoo
216-661-6500 ext 4485

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, August 06, 2009 5:41 PM
To: info@nanfa.org
Subject: Info request via NANFA.org

Hello,
I am in the process of setting up a 55gal. aquarium for native fish in
my classroom. I hope to use it as a teaching tool and to encourage my
7th and 8th graders to learn something about the fish and inverts that
live in this region, and the inmportance of protecting their
environment. Do you have any recommendations as to what species will
do well? Collection tips? Is it OK to use aquatic plants collected
in the field? or should they come from a pet store? I live in
Memphis, TN. Are there any members of NANFA in my area who I could
talk to?
Many thanks,
Deborah Foehring

#2 Guest_Casper Cox_*

Guest_Casper Cox_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 August 2009 - 11:05 AM

I am the NANFA representative for the state of Tennessee and i was born in Memphis and i have 2 Native Fish Aquariums setup in my daughter's schools. However i know of no NANFA members in Memphis. I had Tom Watson send me his Tennessee member list to double check this.
I dont think we even have a Memphisian on the list?
Nonetheless i will email her and suggest a field trip and catch some bugs and fish and "Let the learning Begin!"

#3 Guest_Casper Cox_*

Guest_Casper Cox_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 August 2009 - 03:37 PM

I sent the teacher this additional info...

But to be a bit more help to you directly. I presume you have knowledge of setting up aquariums and their maintenance? Other wise a fish store could help somewhat.
There are many ways to set up a tank. Try to replicate the habitat you collected from. Is is flowing, or like a pond? Snails, crawfish, bugs, fish, plants. Is the bottom rocky, sandy, muddy? Try to work with sand or fine gravel. Keep any mud or dirt in a claypot and cap it with sand or gravel for your plants. Some plants like mud, others sand. Study their roots when you pull them up. Plants require intense light but you dont want your water to be hot. 4' Flourescents are typical but you need at least 2, 4 is better.
Check out the book The Fishes of Tennessee from the library or purchase it via mail / internet at UTK. David Etnier, author.
Find a local creek and take some nets along and see what you find. Get dirty.
You can take pictures and post them to the NANFA forum and people will help you with identities and suggestions.
This will be a very educational and fun experience for your students.
Dont be fretful, just start. And Learn.
:)

She responded...

Casper,
Thanks so much for your speedy reply. I have had aquariums in the classroom before, and this one will be mimicking a pond or small lake. I have 2" of gravel (natural color) on the bottom, and plan to add a few smooth rocks layered to give some hiding places. I would like to make part of the tank a sandy bottom for inverts, so I might try your suggestion for plants by capping sand with gravel to keep it in place. My biggest concern is bringing disease into the tank if I collect plants, silt and fish from the wild. Any hints about keeping an eye out for trouble?
Thanks,
Deb

I responded with...

Deb...
Dont worry about disease. Keep your fish and plants cool and healthy while collecting and slowly acclimate with a drip feed line.
It sounds like you have a good idea and base knowledge.
Duplicating a pond environment is the easiest. ( A mountain riffle the hardest. )
If your classroom window faces northish put the aquarium near there. Dont put it in a south window cause it can cook.
Plants need light tho, artificial or natural. The easiest plants are the non native Java Moss and Java Weed. They, well all plants, provide natural filtration and provide food for many fish be it the plant material itself or the tiny microbes hiding in the plants. Get out the microscope!
If you keep in mind it is an ongoing experiment it will be easier on your worry level.
It is impossible to replicate mother nature in a glass rectangle.
I would put a bubble filter in the corner or maybe one of those hangon filters. But a couple bubble filters with the pad you rinse out periodatically will suffice. I dont use anything in my school aquaria. The plants do everything.
Be sure and put a timer on the lights.

Keep the forum updated with the collecting and adventure. Take pics. You will get neat advice and the kids will enjoy monitoring it.

Casper

and she responded with...

Casper,
Your advice and suggestions have been so helpful and encouraging. My husband gave me a minnow trap, seine, and battery operated bubbler for my birthday,and we went out to a local pond this weekend a collected half a dozen little bluegills which have adapted nicely to the aquarium and are already intriguing my students (7th & 8th grade girls). Thank you,
Deb

Maybe we will make some new NANFA converts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users