custom nets?

3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 August 2009 - 11:23 AM

Is their anyplace that makes custom dip nets? I am just wondering as mine tend to rip if a heavy rock or mud gets in them when kick/dip netting and i wonder if you can get one of stronger material. What I'd like to see in a dip net is the following.

1. A very strong small mesh netting. getting a rock while kick netting is the doom of most of my nets. I am not sure what material could be tough enough though (kevlar? flourocarbon line? chainmail?). the mest should be dark in color (I had better luck with nets with black mesh).

2. A weighted hoop to get down into swift current in riffles without being washed out of place.

3. extendable handle that locks into place.

4. floating handle to make it easier to grab if dropped.

#2 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 August 2009 - 11:32 PM

I use a monorail-type net with a heavy-duty painter's handle. The mesh lasts about a year and is replaceable. The handle is aluminum inside of fiberglass and is very tough, but quickly becomes clogged with sand so that it is hard/impossible to extend. I have two heads that I use for the same handle - one is very fine (for Heterandria) and the other is 3/16" or something like that.

If we could ever get some blue MOJI - now, that would be a dipnet.

#3 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 August 2009 - 11:33 PM

Oh yeah, the netting comes in the white, but you can dye it with RIT dye. I like brown or black.

#4 Guest_jdphish_*

Guest_jdphish_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2009 - 05:45 AM

Try http://deltanetandtwine.com/

They will make any kind of net you would like. They have replaced the mesh in numerous dip nets for me. Just about any type mesh is available through them. I have also had numerous small seines made by Delta Net and Twine (DNandT).

FirstChaos, I had a net made that fits three out of your four requirements. I bought a pool cleaning net from Lowe's and had Delta net and Twine replace the mesh. Works great for small fish. The handle lock into different lengths and floats. I bet you could get a similar net and have a welding shop adapt some sort of weighted hoop onto it. Then send to DNandT and get what mesh you want installed on it.

They are a small family owned operation, have good customer service and very reasonably priced.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users