I Really Have No Idea What This Is?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2009 - 10:43 AM

ok so the problems that i have seemed to have encounter the most appears to be with banded killifish. i had one that looked like it had a huge tumor growing in its belly...now a one that i have from the cape appears to have one in his asshole lol. here are the pics....im thinking i need to euthenize him. i feel so bad bad but i just dont know what the heck to do.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 Guest_Amazon_*

Guest_Amazon_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2009 - 12:20 PM

Is it kept in brackish water? or salt? i dont know what to say about the whole but thing. But I do know that banded killies immune system becomes stronger with salt.

#3 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2009 - 12:23 PM

no they are in fresh...they were caught in fresh as well.

#4 Guest_Amazon_*

Guest_Amazon_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2009 - 12:31 PM

no they are in fresh...they were caught in fresh as well.

Well sorry about your fish. I personally have no idea if there are meds for that. I hate to say it but euthanize may be the best idea.

#5 Guest_BTDarters_*

Guest_BTDarters_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 August 2009 - 03:30 AM

That may be a parasite. You could try Parasite Clear by Jungle Labs. That's what I use to de-parasitize my fish.

Brian

Edit: corrected spelling.

Edited by BTDarters, 10 August 2009 - 03:31 AM.

#6 Guest_Amazon_*

Guest_Amazon_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 August 2009 - 11:19 AM

My brackish naked goby just got what looks like the same thing, in the same area. Are you sure this is a parasite Brian?

#7 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 August 2009 - 11:23 AM

I added a dose of mela and the other stuff yesterday. Wow does it smell. Since adding it I lost 3 logperch a stickleback and a grenside. Hopefully this will help. So do u guys reccomend the directions on the bottle? Dose for 7 days? Amazon sorry about ur goby :(

#8 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 August 2009 - 11:31 AM

It sounds like the cure is worse than the "disease".

#9 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 August 2009 - 11:34 AM

It sounds like the cure is worse than the "disease".

Yeah it does. But all the fish that died were collected from this past saturday. It could have been other things. Its been hot and the water is pushing 80 degrees. That's probably the factor. Sadly. Logperch are my favorites :(

#10 Guest_gzeiger_*

Guest_gzeiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 August 2009 - 11:47 AM

Make sure you're testing the water. I don't think Melafix is filter-safe. I would recommend treating the sick fish in a quarantine tank or even a bucket rather than dosing the whole tank.

#11 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 August 2009 - 11:49 AM

Hmmm my levels were right after dosing yesterday. I'm actually trying to dose everyfish cuz they were basically all new. So is this gonna destroy my bacteria? If so ill just let nature take its course

#12 Guest_Amazon_*

Guest_Amazon_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 August 2009 - 12:32 PM

i have melafix but I dont think I hacve enough for the whole dose. I have furan-2 but im not sure if its a bacterial infection.

#13 Guest_gzeiger_*

Guest_gzeiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 August 2009 - 02:11 PM

Since adding it I lost 3 logperch a stickleback and a grenside. Hopefully this will help.

I'd say you've adequately demonstrated here that you don't really need to treat the new fish as a precaution. I'm all for quarantining new arrivals if you have the resources, but at that casualty rate I'd take my chances without the medication.

A little research is not backing up my concern about Melafix and the filter though.

#14 Guest_schambers_*

Guest_schambers_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 August 2009 - 07:43 PM

I've used Melafix and Pimafix together in the past without any filter problems. I haven't been using it lately, because I noticed that it irritates the heck out of some fish. I don't think it's ever killed any.

#15 Guest_Amazon_*

Guest_Amazon_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 August 2009 - 09:05 PM

ive overdosed and killed fish but never with the normal dose. i do agree that it irritates some fish.

#16 Guest_BTDarters_*

Guest_BTDarters_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2009 - 01:48 AM

My brackish naked goby just got what looks like the same thing, in the same area. Are you sure this is a parasite Brian?

I'm not 100% sure. It just looks and sounds from the description like that's what it probably is. You can see from the pictures that it looks like part of it is sticking out the anus.

I'd say you've adequately demonstrated here that you don't really need to treat the new fish as a precaution...

I wouldn't say that. It all depends on what you use. I've treated thousands of fish with Parasite Clear and have never lost any due to the treatment.

Brian

#17 Guest_gzeiger_*

Guest_gzeiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2009 - 04:07 AM

Perhaps I should have said "don't need to continue in the present course of treatment."

There's no good way to tell if he just had unhealthy fish or if there was a reaction between the two medications he used, but there is a bad way to tell and it may kill more fish.

#18 Guest_jchampagne_*

Guest_jchampagne_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 August 2009 - 06:48 PM

Did you ever find out the cause of the bump? Post mortem dissection?

Edited by jchampagne, 13 August 2009 - 06:49 PM.

#19 Guest_Amazon_*

Guest_Amazon_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 August 2009 - 07:13 PM

A few days ago I noticed my naked gobys anal area was sticking out. The next day it was back to normal. I didnt do anything about it because i didnt think it was a huge problem. also i noticed the same thing on one of my peacock cichlids in my 100g, except you could see a roundish ball at the end of the anus. Last night i was looking at one of my other peacocks (the same species) and its fins were rotting and the color of the fish was all messed up. Then I was looking at the other fish with the anus sticking out, and three round orange balls literally popped out of its butt and one of the other cichlids ate it! Today I did a 50% water change. And later i was planning on adding some aquarium salt to the tank, since it has none. I was thinking 1tbs per 5 gallons. Cause if this is some kind of parasite shouldnt the salt kill it, then again, my naked goby was in brackish water.
I have no idea what this is.
I know this has some to do with tropicals but i still have a tropical tank left after getting into natives.

It looked EXACTLY like the lump in bumpylemon's fish

Edited by Amazon, 13 August 2009 - 07:15 PM.

#20 Guest_jchampagne_*

Guest_jchampagne_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 August 2009 - 08:52 PM

what would it hurt to try the parasite treatment recommended earlier? Not eggs, right?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users